Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,372,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Those legal right could have been handled via other means such as powers of attorney, wills, Five Wishes, guardianship, etc. I've never made the argument that is in the second half of your statement.
Or they could just have a legal marriage and gain all the same rights as the legal marriage of a heterosexual couple and simplify the process across the board.

See, being married in the eyes of a church means nothing to the state unless you legally fulfill the requirements and sign the legal paperwork required by state law to be legally married and gain the legal rights of a legally married couple.

Separation of Church and State works both ways. The state doesn't recognize a church sanctioned marriage, and the church is under no obligation to recognize a state sanctioned marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Or they could just have a legal marriage and gain all the same rights as the legal marriage of a heterosexual couple and simplify the process across the board.

See, being married in the eyes of a church means nothing to the state unless you legally fulfill the requirements and sign the legal paperwork required by state law to be legally married and gain the legal rights of a legally married couple.

Separation of Church and State works both ways. The state doesn't recognize a church sanctioned marriage, and the church is under no obligation to recognize a state sanctioned marriage.
Quit being so rational.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,157,153 times
Quote:
You're right, Massachussets isn't Utah, but neither is North Carolina, last time I checked.

It still doesn't change that the legal right to marry is a legality. You are not being forced to marry anyone of the same sex, your church is not being forced to acknowledge or bless any union between a same sex couple. You are not being forced to do anything, other than to accept that the legal union between two consenting and able minded adults is none of your business unless you are one of the two adults in that union.
You don't think churches are going to be forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies under threat of a lawsuit? I'm being forced to accept a lifestyle I disagree with. I'm being forced to cede control of my view of history to Progressive groupthink. I am forced to walk on eggshells around a "more equal than others" protected class of people and their supporters.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I gained no additional rights when I was married. Benefits are not rights and can be removed at any time through the legislature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If so, then lead the charge, netbrad! Down with marriage for all!

Up with legal documents!

I mean, why not... it's all fair, right?
That is the way we're headed. Enjoy the decline.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You don't think churches are going to be forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies under threat of a lawsuit? I'm being forced to accept a lifestyle I disagree with. I'm being forced to cede control of my view of history to Progressive groupthink. I am forced to walk on eggshells around a "more equal than others" protected class of people and their supporters.
The sad thing is that you actually believe what you just typed, brad.

None of it is true.

Churches are not going to be forced to marry anyone unless they suddenly become regular businesses instead of tax-exempt religious institutions.

You are not forced to "accept a lifestyle (you) disagree with" because nobody is making you marry a man, unless there's something you're not telling us here. Homosexuals have been living as couples, sharing homes, paying taxes, raising kids for a very long time. You were always "accepting" them. You just didn't realize it because you could pretend you were not. But... you were. If not, why were you not out getting rid of them all? Because it's illegal or because it's wrong?

Progressive "groupthink" please. Just read, you know, the ACTUAL history. Not the Biblical version. The scholarly version.

I don't even feel like dignifying that whole "eggshells" thing with a response. It's hard out there for a straight, white dude, ain't it, brother?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I gained no additional rights when I was married. Benefits are not rights and can be removed at any time through the legislature.

That is the way we're headed. Enjoy the decline.
Soo... you are saying you were not allowed to file joint taxes, to put your spouse on your health insurance without having to pay extra penalties, to be assured that you were her next of kin in any emergency or hell, just in your day to day life?

Because... last I checked, all us straight folk DO get those rights when we marry, whether we choose to exercise them or not.

I'm not seeing this decline. Me, I'm cool with gay couples and straight couples getting married. You're the one who thinks that gay people can just go get some legal papers drawn up at their own expense that'll be just as good as marriage, so I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you'd want to be fair and just have us all do that.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,372,374 times
Quote:

Just read, you know, the ACTUAL history. Not the Biblical version. The scholarly version.
Do you mean that history where same sex naughty shenanigans has been recorded as happening since humanity started recording history? Tell me it ain't so!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Do you mean that history where same sex naughty shenanigans has been recorded as happening since humanity started recording history? Tell me it ain't so!
Shocking, isn't it?

That Sappho. I blame her, with all that poetry and whatnot.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
The sad thing is that you actually believe what you just typed, brad.

None of it is true.

Churches are not going to be forced to marry anyone unless they suddenly become regular businesses instead of tax-exempt religious institutions.
Keep telling yourself that.

Quote:
You are not forced to "accept a lifestyle (you) disagree with" because nobody is making you marry a man, unless there's something you're not telling us here. Homosexuals have been living as couples, sharing homes, paying taxes, raising kids for a very long time. You were always "accepting" them. You just didn't realize it because you could pretend you were not. But... you were. If not, why were you not out getting rid of them all? Because it's illegal or because it's wrong?
Just because I disagree with gay marriage and the gay lifestyle doesn't mean I want LGBT folks rounded up and sent off to camps.

Quote:
Progressive "groupthink" please. Just read, you know, the ACTUAL history. Not the Biblical version. The scholarly version.
I have read the history of the LBGT and gay marriage movement and their Progressive origins as well as their stated goals. It was about power and control as I've stated before.

Quote:
I don't even feel like dignifying that whole "eggshells" thing with a response. It's hard out there for a straight, white dude, ain't it, brother?
Let's see, you can't make jokes about gays or else you get sent to a re-education camp (i.e. counseling), you can't express disagreement with gay marriage without losing your job or business and you can't disagree with the gay lifestyle without being called a homophobe. I think that about covers it.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Soo... you are saying you were not allowed to file joint taxes, to put your spouse on your health insurance without having to pay extra penalties, to be assured that you were her next of kin in any emergency or hell, just in your day to day life?
Those are benefits, not rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina