Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
What is it that southerners eat that the rest of the country does not?
Good Pimento Cheese (if any at all), Dukes Mayonnaise, Texas Pete products, greens (especially turnip & mustard), ham hocks, Mt. Olive pickles, fresh okra, boiled peanuts, real pork chops, White Lilly flour, corn bread mix with no sugar, Krispy Kreme products, etc.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Any any case, it's certainly more plausible than dragging the civil war into it again which is what I was responding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Good Pimento Cheese (if any at all), Dukes Mayonnaise, Texas Pete products, greens (especially turnip & mustard), ham hocks, Mt. Olive pickles, fresh okra, boiled peanuts, real pork chops, White Lilly flour, corn bread mix with no sugar, Krispy Kreme products, etc.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Any any case, it's certainly more plausible than dragging the civil war into it again which is what I was responding to.
I've made it clear that I'm not a Wegman's groupie.

They are out of Upstate NY. Right now most of their big stores are in the MidAtlantic. They've made that transition. Most of the food here is available in the MidAtlantic. Very little is not.

Foods available, from your list, in the MidAtlantic: Texas Pete, greens-primarily kale-in massive quantities, Mt Olive, fresh okra in season, real pork chops, corn meal mix, but not in more quantity than regular corn meal, Krispy Kreme.

ETA: you can get ham hocks but sometimes you have to ask for them. Most people just buy a ham, cook it, then throw the remains in a pot after cutting most of it off the bone.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-03-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Since many consider NC to be part of the Mid- Atlantic, the notion that Wegman's food selection is not appealing to North Carolinians is without merit.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Since many consider NC to be part of the Mid- Atlantic, the notion that Wegman's food selection is not appealing to North Carolinians is without merit.
I spent over 40 years in the MidAtlantic. I can get the shrimp steamed w/Old Bay at Lowes Foods, the amount of available greens in produce departments is less here. I also have not seen the fresh dandelion greens in the spring. The others are available there but kale is the dominant green. Texas Pete, Franks, & Crystal are there. Liver pudding is available in the Philadelphia market but there are many brands of scrapple. Orange sweet potatoes are called yams to differentiate them from the white & yellow ones. Store brand tater tots come in plain & with onion but no golden crowns. Big deal. Glory Foods are available in the MidAtlantic. . .

Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I welcome the competition if they ever to decide to meander on down this way.

I am still wondering what Kroger will do to HT and I've never much liked Lowes. Publix has yet to demonstrate whether or not they'll appeal to me here, so we will have to wait and see. The ones I've experienced in Florida weren't particularly impressive.

I have seen a nice Wegman's or two before. I think they'd be fine to go to if HT goes south once Kroger gets a full hold on them.

Still, not something that I feel is lacking in NC at all, just something that would be fine with me either way.

I am concerned that many of the items mentioned in this thread will be harder to find around here unless one heads further out into rural areas.

I don't buy too many of them, but Dukes mayo is pretty much a requirement.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I welcome the competition if they ever to decide to meander on down this way.

I am still wondering what Kroger will do to HT and I've never much liked Lowes. Publix has yet to demonstrate whether or not they'll appeal to me here, so we will have to wait and see. The ones I've experienced in Florida weren't particularly impressive.

I have seen a nice Wegman's or two before. I think they'd be fine to go to if HT goes south once Kroger gets a full hold on them.

Still, not something that I feel is lacking in NC at all, just something that would be fine with me either way.

I am concerned that many of the items mentioned in this thread will be harder to find around here unless one heads further out into rural areas.

I don't buy too many of them, but Dukes mayo is pretty much a requirement.
Hellmans is big in the MidAtlantic & is sold here. There's no reason to think that a chain wouldn't add Dukes. Heck, as a native of the Midwest, I hate mayonnaise. My family came from Miracle Whip country.

If I were you, I'd be much more afraid of the "variety meats" that they would likely have on display in the meat department. I've only seen one beef kidney since I've lived here. No tongues, no souse, no chicken feet, no pig ears, etc.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I'd say there is nothing to worry about.

Even here in Charlotte I've seen tripe, lard, fatback, stric of lean, chitterlings (pig intestines), livermush, chicken gizzards & hearts, & sweetbreads (various glands from cloven animals like thymus, pancreas, etc) for sale in some local supermarkets. Growing up in the South, I'm familiar with all of these.

There is also head cheese, where you boil a pig's head to render out all the brains, fat and geletine, though it's not common now. People also used to like the pig brains too. As an older Southern woman who lived in Dilworth told me, "we used to eat everything from the rooter to the tooter" in reference to the hog.

BTW, you can't get good pork anymore because it all comes from 90 day pigs. They have engineered it to be the other "white meat". Older Southerners know that good pork only comes from 2+ year old hogs. It's very hard to find this now unless you find a locker plant. Good chicken meat comes from old laying hens & roosters. The meat has a lot more flavor. Unfortunately this is impossible to find now too.

If a grocery store bought back something like this, then they would be popular.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'd say there is nothing to worry about.

Even here in Charlotte I've seen tripe, lard, fatback, stric of lean, chitterlings (pig intestines), livermush, chicken gizzards & hearts, & sweetbreads (various glands from cloven animals like thymus, pancreas, etc) for sale in some local supermarkets. Growing up in the South, I'm familiar with all of these.

There is also head cheese, where you boil a pig's head to render out all the brains, fat and geletine, though it's not common now. People also used to like the pig brains too. As an older Southern woman who lived in Dilworth told me, "we used to eat everything from the rooter to the tooter" in reference to the hog.

BTW, you can't get good pork anymore because it all comes from 90 day pigs. They have engineered it to be the other "white meat". Older Southerners know that good pork only comes from 2+ year old hogs. It's very hard to find this now unless you find a locker plant. Good chicken meat comes from old laying hens & roosters. The meat has a lot more flavor. Unfortunately this is impossible to find now too.

If a grocery store bought back something like this, then they would be popular.
LOL, nothing that I haven't seen in MidAtlantic stores. Find a recipe for pepperpot soup. That's one of the traditional foods in Philly. The item that always riveted me was offals.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:41 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I just got back from the Wegmans in the DC area. I hit 3 of them. I am a self proclaimed fan and X employee from my college days. The newer stores in the DC area far and above anything ever in the upstate NY/PA area. They cater to the local clients for sure. It's really easy to see in DC where there are lots of ethnic people as compared to upstate NY/NC (which I find to be very very similar).

The stores are big as a super walmart, they have full dining: subs, pizza, cold foods bar, salad station, asian, indian, sushi etc.

I have never seen anything like it in my travels. When they first open people just kinda aimless wander around in ahh looking at all the selection. If you just hit a store in upstate NY I would agree they are nice but they aren't mind blowing. If they build a store in Raleigh like they do in the DC metro area it will be spectacular. Every store is a one up of the previous. The Ashburn, VA store was the first and it's nice, but on the mild side. The Fredericksburg and Woodbridge are AMAZING.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
If Wegman's comes, that would be great. It means more competition, which result
in every other store upping their game.

And, here is the best part, if locals don't want to go to Wegman's..................wait for it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
DON'T GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina