Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 AM

613 posts, read 745,945 times

Advertisements

We were warned. NAFTA was signed by Clinton with a big smile on his face. Maybe Monica was under the desk.?

Norway? They would be even more insignificant if it were not for their oil industry.

Our competitors are China , Mexico, Vietnam, Brazil.... Wake up. Trying to find a country with higher taxes than we do while our competitors are building factories. Very obese Americans going to the food bank in their SUVs. Meanwhile Audi is building another factory in Mexico not North Carolina.
I say cut Corporate tax rates in half. Federal and NC. Better still eliminate them altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You're finally making some sense. You should stop because you are making yourself look silly by ignoring the facts I've laid out for you.
I stopped because you made an absolute statement. i.e. "taxation policies have changed little in 20 years that affect small business" yet you can't defend this statement.

You said you were a CPA, but not only can you not give the specific taxes that a corporation in this state must pay, you were even wrong about corporation types and got wrong what was even being asked. If you are a CPA, then I would have thought it would have been easy enough to list some bulleted items as to how you came to your conclusion.

So there is no point. You stated and opinion as fact. You are entitled to your opinion on taxes, but it has no basis in reality for anyone who actually goes out and tries to start a small business. It's a huge reason that small business fails because the government has made it extremely difficult to hire anyone.

We just hired our 3rd employee. They will start on Monday, we hope, if the paperwork can be completed on time so we can actually pay this party, collect taxes, insurance, and file all the records that are now required to do such. It's been two straight days with the CPA who is quite happy to charge a great deal for it, yet these costs do nothing to provide any benefit to the business as in producing a product or service.

This is why business is becoming non-competitive with the likes of Mexico and other places where these kinds of things are not required.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Meanwhile as Obama just tees off in Martha's Vineyard...............

Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I stopped because you made an absolute statement. i.e. "taxation policies have changed little in 20 years that affect small business" yet you can't defend this statement.

You said you were a CPA, but not only can you not give the specific taxes that a corporation in this state must pay, you were even wrong about corporation types and got wrong what was even being asked. If you are a CPA, then I would have thought it would have been easy enough to list some bulleted items as to how you came to your conclusion.
Waldo, please try to pay attention. Here is where I told you (for the second time) what taxes a corporation must pay:

Quote:
I listed those taxes for you in my earlier post: FICA, unemployment tax, franchise tax, and potentially others depending on the type of business (e.g., sales/use tax, property tax, etc.).
I wasn't wrong about corporation types, and I'm not going to take the time to research information that I already know is true just to prove something to you, especially when your reading comprehension seems suspect. As a CPA I attend tax law update sessions, I get regular professional bulletins that cover tax policy, and I audit the tax calculation, reporting, and payment processes within my own company. I have quite a bit of familiarity with tax issues, and that's why I can confidently tell you that corporate taxes haven't significantly changed in many years. If you want proof, all you have to do is google "NC corporate tax rate 1990" and " current NC corporate tax rate". Or "FICA tax rate 1990" and "current FICA tax rate". And so on for any other tax you want to know about.

You may be frustrated by it all, and I can understand that. But you are wrong to suggest that all this is something new. I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you on this matter.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Meanwhile Obama just bogied number 5. .......

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

353 posts, read 604,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post

Does less vacation time make for a better president?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post

Meanwhile Carlos keeps trying to divert the topic to Obama, conveniently ignoring the fact that the stock market is at an all-time high, more jobs (by far) have been created under the Obama administration than the Bush administration (and he still has over 2 years left in his term), and housing starts are at their highest in 8 months. Yeah, it's all Obama's fault...

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile Carlos keeps trying to divert the topic to Obama, conveniently ignoring the fact that the stock market is at an all-time high, more jobs (by far) have been created under the Obama administration than the Bush administration (and he still has over 2 years left in his term), and housing starts are at their highest in 8 months. Yeah, it's all Obama's fault...
You just showed your true colors. Wow. The stock market is up because the Fed is printing money hand over fist.
Existing home sales are down 4.3% from last year.
And yes it is Obama's fault because he told us he would make it better. But then again he also said if you like you present health plan you can keep it. Liar in chief. Pinocchio.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
The answer to your question depends on what type of corporation it is. But the point I'm making is that no matter what kind of corporation it may be, it will pay virtually the same amount of taxes (and likely less) than a startup would have paid 20 years ago. So the statement made earlier that high taxes are discouraging new businesses doesn't make sense. Taxes didn't prevent startups from forming 20 years ago, so why all of sudden are they a problem now?
You're focused on taxes. Red tape is worse. For instance, to do a start up you can operate under the table until you earn a certain amount of money. People used to use ETSY etc. for test marketing. Now, because a few people abused it you have to get a tax number right away.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:06 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That article blames NAFTA. One of Slick Willy's lasting legacies. (where exactly the opposite of everything promised, happened)
Seems you have a short memory. NAFTA was very popular with the Re-pubs and Clinton thought it would be a good idea to approve it and get the approval of the Republican party. Didn't work out to good for him because they hated him and all it took was one lousy BJ under the desk and they wanted to throw him out.

Yes NAFTA was a bad idea and so are Democrats trying to appease Republicans.

When you say lasting legacy, you mean one of the most successful presidents in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina