U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 34,800 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I got an offer to work in Eckerd Pharmacy as a pharmacy intern. They asked me to choose either Rocky mount or Fayette Ville. I have no idea about either of these cities. Please help me by telling some information like rentals, safety, living expenses commuting (i don't have a car) etc in these cities. Which city is better to live for a year?. I don't have a family , i am moving alone. So one bedroom apartment or studio etc will be fine. Mainly iam concerned about the safety, rental, commuting. Please help.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 PM

325 posts, read 1,362,830 times
That's a tough one to answer, especially when we don't know where you're moving from. It's gonna be quite tough in either city without a car, that's for sure. Public transportation is not a high priority in cities the size of Fayetteville and Rocky Mount.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry for not telling you where i am moving from. I am moving from Columbia, Missouri state. I am an international student ( Basically i am from India. I spent 3 years in columbia, MO. I have done my Master's in the department of Chemistry, Columbia, MO). I will wait for more replies.

Thanks again

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM

325 posts, read 1,362,830 times
Fayetteville would probably be most comparable to the size of Columbia. It is a city with a strong military presence with Fort Bragg adjacent, so if you don't like seeing camouflage everywhere, it might not be for you. If I'm not mistaken, Columbia is where the Univ. of Missouri is, so I'm guessing it's a college town. Neither city you asked about is a college town. Fayetteville has a couple of small colleges, the largest being Fayetteville St. If you're still looking to go to pharmacy school Campbell Univ. in Buies Creek and, it hurts to say this but, UNC-Chapel Hill have those curriculums.

Check out www.ci.fayetteville.nc.us and www.ci.rocky-mount.nc.us

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,816,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrz5 View Post
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry for not telling you where i am moving from. I am moving from Columbia, Missouri state. I am an international student ( Basically i am from India. I spent 3 years in columbia, MO. I have done my Master's in the department of Chemistry, Columbia, MO). I will wait for more replies.

Thanks again
Wow, just curious, with all that education, when do you actually get to be a pharmacist?

Are those the only two choices in the state you get? Frankly those two areas would be two of my last picks for places to live. Of the two I guess I'd say go for Rocky Mount, it is a little safer than Fayetteville in my opinion. Plus, Fayetteville has about twice the population of Rocky Mount.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:18 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies. Yah those are the two options (Rockymount or Fayetteville) i have got from Eckerd pharmacy people. Do you think is it hard to live there. Mainly i am concerned about safety and living expenses. Because they are paying only 25$ per hour and i can work for 4o hours a week. I am also worrying about transportation. May be i should find a place closer to the pharmacy store or something like that. Please feel free to give your opinion. I will wait for more opinions.

Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 PM

463 posts, read 1,593,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrz5 View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies. Yah those are the two options (Rockymount or Fayetteville) i have got from Eckerd pharmacy people. Do you think is it hard to live there. Mainly i am concerned about safety and living expenses. Because they are paying only 25$ per hour and i can work for 4o hours a week. I am also worrying about transportation. May be i should find a place closer to the pharmacy store or something like that. Please feel free to give your opinion. I will wait for more opinions.

Thanks again.
Not much of a choice out of all of North Carolina's cities, but I recommend Rocky Mount over Fayetteville. I don't know what your expenses are, but if you're a single person and they are guaranteeing you $25.00 an hour and a 40 hour work week, that's really a good salary for that area of NC. I think your concern about not having transportation is valid. I think you will need a car if you live in either place. Even if you find an apartment in a safe area close to work, how will you get to the grocery store, to the doctor, to any other place you may need to go?

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-30-2006 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-30-2006, 07:04 PM

576 posts, read 1,461,343 times
Hi There,

I live in Fayetteville and can tell you that there is a public transportation system in place. However, the routes are fairly limited and to travel any distance would require transferring at only one or two of the hubs. If you should move here, I would recommend living near the pharmacy that you are working at. There are many many apt and home rentals here due to the military. I don't know if it is important to you but there seems to be a growing Indian community here. As for safety, some parts of town are much better than others. The Eckerds near Village and Owen is probably in one of the safer areas with an apt complex nearby. Good luck in your decision!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 PM

212 posts, read 1,031,248 times
You're going to need a car. At $25.00 an hour you will be making more than the majority of working folks in either area. That's $1000.00 a week before taxes. A good running used car and a nice apartment will be well within reach. I live about 15 miles from Rocky Mt. and like the area fine.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,107,381 times
$25 an hour?! I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Honey, you will do fine in NC on that kind of salary. Especially being single.

I personally don't like Fayetteville and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. Rocky Mount I've only been through once and it was at night. So I can't really say anything about it other than it seemed small to me.

I'll leave it to those more familiar with both cities to be of better help to you.

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina