Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times

Advertisements

UNC Chapel Hill demographer sees megalopolis along I-85 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local Business

Now this isn't a vs thread at all. Just wanted to make that clear. How does everyone fill about these urban areas coming together.Such a region, based mostly on the Interstate 85 corridor, could resemble the urban corridor that connects Baltimore and Washington with New York and Boston. what do you all think should be done to make not one these Urban areas attractive but the small towns between each one as well. will they eventually get taken over or hold there own identity within this Megalopolis that will happen. Hopefully to have a cohesive megalopolis region. What do we need......highway upgrades, some sort of rail besides amtrack. What should be done to market this region as a attractive region to everyone that wants to move here. If you want that city vibe then you can move to Charlotte or Raleigh but also live in a smaller town like Salisbury fora country vibe and still fill like your apart of a massive region. What do we need to do to work together between Charlotte all the way to Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
UNC Chapel Hill demographer sees megalopolis along I-85 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local Business

Now this isn't a vs thread at all. Just wanted to make that clear. How does everyone fill about these urban areas coming together.Such a region, based mostly on the Interstate 85 corridor, could resemble the urban corridor that connects Baltimore and Washington with New York and Boston. what do you all think should be done to make not one these Urban areas attractive but the small towns between each one as well. will they eventually get taken over or hold there own identity within this Megalopolis that will happen. Hopefully to have a cohesive megalopolis region. What do we need......highway upgrades, some sort of rail besides amtrack. What should be done to market this region as a attractive region to everyone that wants to move here. If you want that city vibe then you can move to Charlotte or Raleigh but also live in a smaller town like Salisbury fora country vibe and still fill like your apart of a massive region. What do we need to do to work together between Charlotte all the way to Fayetteville.
Right smack in the middle of the megapolis South Jersey is mostly quite rural. Going down 95 there are other rural areas. Towns retain their identities.

A megapolis is definitely forming. The only thing separating it from the big one is the gap between Petersburg & Henderson.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Right smack in the middle of the megapolis South Jersey is mostly quite rural. Going down 95 there are other rural areas. Towns retain their identities.

A megapolis is definitely forming. The only thing separating it from the big one is the gap between Petersburg & Henderson.
Are we talking about the same megapolis. I was referring to the Nc megalopolis lol.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same megapolis. I was referring to the Nc megalopolis lol.
You mentioned 2. So did I.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Oh I see what your saying. I was referring to the nc side but never thought about it joining with VA and beyond. Sorry lol

Old 09-02-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh I see what your saying. I was referring to the nc side but never thought about it joining with VA and beyond. Sorry lol
NP. I see the answers to all of your questions are in the I 95 megapolis. I lived in that megapolis. Trust me local identities are not lost. There are rural areas. It doesn't stop at DC anymore. Some say Fredericksburg others say Richmond. If you go by Richmond you really have to include Petersburg.

The I 85 megapolis that is forming really extends on the southern end to exit 8, so beyond Charlotte.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
Eventually yeah I guess it will be come one giant megalopolis. Kind of inevitable with the population increases. A cheap high speed rail system connecting all the major cities would be cool. I don't think they'll lose their identities. I lived right off exit 7 in NJ and it was quite rural. Huge open fields and farms. Kids in my high school were just as southern as kids in my Arkansas high school. Gigantic confederate flag belt buckles, southern accents, jacked up Chevys, dippin', etc. Hell, we even had a farmer's week at our school where everyone who lived on a farm brought their tractors and parked it in front of the school for the week. Lol. So even being in the middle of a megalopolis there can and surely will be small towns with their small town identity.

At least for the near future. In the year like....I don't know, 2250 I'm pretty sure all the cities on the east coast will have blended together to form one ridiculous urban area. Won't be able to escape it. Of course that is assuming the US will still be around by then lol...

Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Eventually yeah I guess it will be come one giant megalopolis. Kind of inevitable with the population increases. A cheap high speed rail system connecting all the major cities would be cool. I don't think they'll lose their identities. I lived right off exit 7 in NJ and it was quite rural. Huge open fields and farms. Kids in my high school were just as southern as kids in my Arkansas high school. Gigantic confederate flag belt buckles, southern accents, jacked up Chevys, dippin', etc. Hell, we even had a farmer's week at our school where everyone who lived on a farm brought their tractors and parked it in front of the school for the week. Lol. So even being in the middle of a megalopolis there can and surely will be small towns with their small town identity.

At least for the near future. In the year like....I don't know, 2250 I'm pretty sure all the cities on the east coast will have blended together to form one ridiculous urban area. Won't be able to escape it. Of course that is assuming the US will still be around by then lol...
Exit 7- northern Burlington County? Salem County?

Rural definitely exists in the I 95 megapolis. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't be in the I 85 megapolis. High speed rail is coming it will probably be a couple of generations before it's electrified.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Exit 7- northern Burlington County? Salem County?

Rural definitely exists in the I 95 megapolis. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't be in the I 85 megapolis. High speed rail is coming it will probably be a couple of generations before it's electrified.
Yep, northern Burlington County. Even graduated high school from NBCRHS! Wrightstown and Browns Mills.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yep, northern Burlington County. Even graduated high school from NBCRHS! Wrightstown and Browns Mills.
OK wasn't sure if you meant exit 7 of the turnpike or exit 7 of 295. Also the Southern accent is much more noticeable in "Deep-South" Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina