Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
... Why cap that for the several hundred thousand dollar center console or multimillion dollar yacht?....
You are over stating this to the point of hyperbole. To hit the $1500 mark at 3% you only need to purchase a vehicle that cost $50,000. Buy a decent boat and add a trailer to it and you are closing in on this amount easily. Buy a vehicle to pull it and it might hit you again.

While $50K is not a small amount, there are plenty of people in this state who end up paying this much and more for a vehicle these days. It's not limited to just a hand full of millionaires as you suggest.

IMO, they should eliminate the tax all together or bring it in line with that of neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
I for one will be glad when the midterm elections are over...all the hot air and hyperbole on both sides is outrageous.

It's no secret though, wealthy people support wealthy people's interest. At the least the wealthy Dems pretend to give a damn about the "takers"....key word is pretend. The GOP is straight to the point...gotta give em credit for not pretending.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This is a interesting mindset. I've never noticed that government had a hard time with imposing and collecting taxes.

On the other hand, every $ that is handed over to the state had to first be earned by someone. I disagree with you that it's easy.
Why should someone who can only afford $25K for a car pay the full 3% of the purchase price but someone who can afford an $80K car pay only 1.8% of the purchase price?

Second question. The NC General Assembly reduced the tax on wealthy individuals and corporations and created a situation where the expected revenues would fall short of the expected expenses, in other words, a hole in the budget forecast to be $500MM in 2014 and 2015.

Who should pay the $1 billion in new taxes, or should the NC General Assembly eliminate entirely the Departments of Environment and Natural Resources ($157 million), Agriculture and Consumer Services ($115 million), Commerce ($73 million) and Job Development and Investment Grants ($63 million), Administration ($67 million), Cultural Resources ($63 million) and the Secretary of State ($11.6 million) and save the $500 million a year.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Why should someone who can only afford $25K for a car pay the full 3% of the purchase price but someone who can afford an $80K car pay only 1.8% of the purchase price?
Indeed. It's not fair on many levels. Taxes are never fair because it's the process of government taking from one group to be handed to another.

Lets re-state this with real #s.
  • Tax on $25K car = $750
  • Tax on $80K car - $1500
My question to you is this. Why should someone who can only afford a $25K car be forced to first hand over $750 to the state of NC? Eliminate the tax all together. It's the most fair thing for all, if the issue is "fairness".

Quote:
Second question. The NC General Assembly reduced the tax on wealthy individuals and corporations and created a situation where the expected revenues would fall short of the expected expenses, in other words, a hole in the budget forecast to be $500MM in 2014 and 2015.
Did you have a problem when the Perdue was doing it at a far greater extent and was borrowing the money, by the billions, which will have to be paid back by future taxpayers? if you did, then we might have a discussion. If not, then it's a partisan debate which doesn't interest me. I will say this again. Don't fall for the false "left" vs "right" paradigm.

Quote:
Who should pay the $1 billion in new taxes, or should the NC General Assembly eliminate entirely the Departments of Environment and Natural Resources ($157 million), Agriculture and Consumer Services ($115 million), Commerce ($73 million) and Job Development and Investment Grants ($63 million), Administration ($67 million), Cultural Resources ($63 million) and the Secretary of State ($11.6 million) and save the $500 million a year.
This is what happens when the state spends and borrows money beyond it's ability to pay back. (See Beverly Perdue) Unlike the federal government the state can't print money.

Before I respond to your very specific cost cutting measures, please provide your sources for the budget shortfall. I find that many people who bring these things up have never taken the time to actually read the detail.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Why should someone who can only afford a $25K car be forced to first hand over $750 to the state of NC? Eliminate the tax all together. It's the most fair thing for all, if the issue is "fairness".
Since you're apparently opposed to taxes of any kind, please tell us this--what would one do with their $25K car, or their $80K car, if there were no roads on which to drive it?

Quote:
I find that many people who bring these things up have never taken the time to actually read the detail.
The irony drips...

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Since you're apparently opposed to taxes of any kind, .
No where have I said this.

In regards to your last remark about me, I will be glad to discuss anything in detail. But you didn't provide anything relevant to the topic to disuss nor anything relevant about my post that you are responding to.

Hint: Please focus on the message and not the messenger.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 PM

It is amazing how uninformed people are.

46% of the 2013 tax cut's dollars went to those making more than $200K a year which is 2.7% of all NC households.

The tax cut resulted in a structural budget deficit where forecasts for the shortfall are $500MM for 2014 and another $500MM for 2015.

To make up this shortfall + the reduction in corporate taxes and the elimination of the estate tax $80MM a year), either the Republicans have to completely eliminate a lot of government departments or raise taxes.

Stealing money from the education budget is impossible after the teacher raise and since there was a $500MM hole in the HHS budget this year, there is no money to steal from there. Additionally there is no money left in the rainy day fund.

State law says the budget has to be balanced so you can bet the ones benefiting the least from the tax cut will be the ones that pay for the greatest share with an increase in a regressive sales tax.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 PM

^ You are offering up a lot of opinion, but no substance or source to back it up.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
^ You are offering up a lot of opinion, but no substance or source to back it up.
No I am offering up facts. Republicans created a structural deficit by cutting taxes below expected expenses and then did not cut expenses enough to address the forecasted $500MM budget deficit for FY 2014 and 2015.

Freight Train Coming: 2015 Revenue Shortfall and NC Higher Education - Higher Education Works

Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 AM

LOL. That is a website the education lobby. What else do you think they are going to say?

If you want any credibility, present some numbers from the actual NC Budget that proves what you claim. It's there for anyone who wishes to read it and discover reality that isn't filtered through the eyes of a lobbying group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina