Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,516,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
It will be a tight race, but I feel like Hagan will keep her seat. She's had a lead in the polls for weeks now. Also, if anything, I see Sean Haugh having more of an impact on Tillis, than on Hagan.
Yup he will be the "Ross Perot" for Tillis.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There were no massive cuts in the NC education budget. That is hogwash.

Teachers got their first raise in years, and the education budget for was raised, not decreased. I think you might be listening to political adverts for your information. They are hardly factual.
not going to go off and search for it, but there were cuts, pay increases frozen, and no incentive for teachers with additional certifications and/or post graduate degrees to work in the NC system.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
It will be a tight race, but I feel like Hagan will keep her seat. She's had a lead in the polls for weeks now. Also, if anything, I see Sean Haugh having more of an impact on Tillis, than on Hagan.
Polls are just polls, exit polls or tally will show.

Richard Burr was behind Erskin Bowles in most polls but won with 5 % of the votes. I think next month our tv every other commercial break will be an ad from one of them. I like it when they show ad from both back to back other it like a chess game. (Ad from TT I think he got her 1 pt then her ad ooo she got him 1 pt lol.
I just wonder if it will get heated as Helms vs Hunt.

I hope District 2 , 6 and 12 debates are televised or good clips on Capital Tonight on News 14. I love that show.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-23-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,381,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
not going to go off and search for it, but there were cuts, pay increases frozen, and no incentive for teachers with additional certifications and/or post graduate degrees to work in the NC system.
Well the NC Budget that was signed into law included....
  • Education Budget was increased to $11.5B in 2014 from $10.8B when the current party took power.
  • Spending per student was increased from $5,156 to $5,395
  • Teachers do get more money if they get additional education.
  • Teachers pay increased 7% on a graduated scale where some got as much as $13.5%.
"but there were cuts, pay increases frozen"
  • No. This simply isn't true. Most state employees got raises. Members of the Highway patrol, magistrates, Clerks of court and court assistants, whose pay languished for years all got extra money.
"not going to go off and search for it"
  • Ahh, so you are going to blindly believe party dogma without bothering to check the facts? Not good son, not good.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,965 times
A pretty good analysis of the facts can be found here. Read it and decide for yourself if Tillis's education budget is aligned in the best interest of our students and teachers. I've decided that it's not.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Well the NC Budget that was signed into law included....
  • Education Budget was increased to $11.5B in 2014 from $10.8B when the current party took power.
  • Spending per student was increased from $5,156 to $5,395
  • Teachers do get more money if they get additional education.
  • Teachers pay increased 7% on a graduated scale where some got as much as $13.5%.
"but there were cuts, pay increases frozen"
  • No. This simply isn't true. Most state employees got raises. Members of the Highway patrol, magistrates, Clerks of court and court assistants, whose pay languished for years all got extra money.
"not going to go off and search for it"
  • Ahh, so you are going to blindly believe party dogma without bothering to check the facts? Not good son, not good.
Not going to go through how you're off on most of your points, but I'll take the common one (since I knew someone would throw it out there). The 7% is not an across the board increase - that's the way it's being touted, but no existing teacher gets that. Plus the supposed increase is muted by the decrease in longevity pay. Giving someone an increase but then decreasing the base isn't an increase - simple math.

Anyway, believe it or frame it how you want - there's no group of NC teachers high fiving this budget or pay in NC for the last few years. It's embarrassing to say the least.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,381,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
..The 7% is not an across the board increase - that's the way it's being touted,
Please note that I said "graduated scale". It's right there in my post.

Teachers got nothing under Perdue & the Democrats. In fact Kay Hagan's last budget before elected to Congress put the state in billions of dollars of debt which hurt the ability of the state to pass out raises. Yet despite this, the current administration and GA manage to hand them a respectable pay raise.

So while Democrats are silent about the previous record on education, they cries "not everyone got the same raise" sounds like a lot of hooey to me. At best a double standard for sure and a lot of partisan hooey.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Please note that I said "graduated scale". It's right there in my post.

Teachers got nothing under Perdue & the Democrats. In fact Kay Hagan's last budget before elected to Congress put the state in billions of dollars of debt which hurt the ability of the state to pass out raises. Yet despite this, the current administration and GA manage to hand them a respectable pay raise.

So while Democrats are silent about the previous record on education, they cries "not everyone got the same raise" sounds like a lot of hooey to me. At best a double standard for sure and a lot of partisan hooey.
True, I won't argue that NC has ever been a meca for teachers from a competitive pay standpoint under Perdue, however the current admin touts the fake increases as if it's the next best thing to sliced bread. Making less than in mid to long term isn't a "win".

In addition to other social program cuts, it's a step backwards.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,965 times
Quote:

Funny how you accuse others of not being factual, yet you continue to post half-truths and misleading information. First, Kay Hagan's budget didn't put the state billions of dollars in debt. There was a budget gap in 2009 due to much lower revenues than were expected (21% lower than the prior year), the result of the economic downturn and high unemployment. Cuts had to be made, and other steps were taken to cover the shortfall. The state incurred no additional debt during this time. Teachers, while disappointed, understood that the economic climate made it virtually impossible for them to get raises. But now that we're in a better position to provide raises, our most experienced teachers get a slap in the face.

Second, to call the recent pay raise "respectable" shows a laughable lack of understanding as to what was done. Teachers with more than 10 years experience got minimal raises--less than one percent in some cases. Teachers who earn advanced degrees will not see additional compensation for their efforts. Money was transferred from classroom/school funds (including teacher assistant funds), transportation funds, and funding for at-risk kids to cover the raises. Further, longevity pay was taken away and rolled into the salary schedule, yet proponents include this amount in their so-called "raise" calculation. I don't see much respect in any of that.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 AM

16,746 posts, read 8,107,387 times
The worst part of the Tillis mob is the fact that they are trying to tie in the Benifits of the ACA to their campaign.

The State budget has been hurt with Tillis not understanding you need revenue to be able to spend. The budget was short about 300Mill., with the budget Tillis has pushed. To the point that even Conservative writers have put out warnings that there is a larger shortfall to come. There is another budget cut coming to Corps. January,2015 with the Tillis Leg. using an increase in Lottery sales to cover that spending (how many scratch offs do you all plan on buying to help).

This Guy wants to go to Washington with a track record of spending with no revenue. A track record of not allowing the expansion of Medicaid (higher employment), which will help to make his budget work, to appease his base while hurting the entire state. TO cutting off unemployment ins,which resulted in a "large drop" in the unemployment rate, but has led to higher unemployment rate the last 2 months (NC back to 6.9%) The Tillis Mob run with the help of Mr. Pope is out of ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina