Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Might already or mentioned above or has been posted, but just in case.

Nearly 1.1 million North Carolina voters took advantage of early voting, about 200,000 more than in the last midterm election four years ago.
Democrats accounted for 48% of all ballots cast, while 32% were from Republicans and 20% from unaffiliated voters. Saturday was the last day for early voting.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:25 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Cutting down Saturday and removing Sunday voting is a cut
We had Sunday voting in Mecklenburg County.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-03-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't know what Tillis has to do with what I said. I didn't vote for him so it doesn't matter to me if he wins or loses. This is the worry of partisans. I'm not one of them.

Come out of the partisan closet

Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Voter turnout is higher because of backlash. Black people (which I'm not and I do not intend to speak for black people) from what I understand feel targeted and feel like their access to voting is being hampered by Tillis. This upset this group and by extension other democrats. It really motivated me to vote this year and I didn't vote in 2010.
The voting statistics that I posted above don't bear out any of this. Black participation increased by 4% (from the 2010) instead of falling. I do agree that a common tactic of the Democrats across the South and including here in NC is to use racism & women's issues to scare voters. But reality rears its head again.

If you want to talk specifics, I will be glad to.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
The voting statistics that I posted above don't bear out any of this. Black participation increased by 4% (from the 2010) instead of falling. I do agree that a common tactic of the Democrats across the South and including here in NC is to use racism & women's issues to scare voters. But reality rears its head again.

You're missing the fact that, even though voting is more difficult for some, they may be trying harder to overcome the difficulty in order to vote against those who they perceive as the cause of the difficulty. I think this is exactly what's happening here--the pubs made it more difficult for some to vote, and it has strengthened their resolve to vote despite the difficulty. That doesn't mean that making it more difficult was the right thing to do.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Come out of the partisan closet
I walked away from that closet. I didn't vote for Hagan & Tillis. My vote went to Sean Haugh.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You're missing the fact that, even though voting is more difficult for some, ...
You have not established this as fact. It's an opinion. And the results so far, don't support that opinion.

The ones who have claimed that voting was made harder, are now the ones that have to prove what they say is more than opinion. I don't see it. State law doesn't support it, and the early voting results certainly don't support it.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

It's not my fault the way you interpret your data. Your data is pretty useless, and like your "2014 VS. 2012" election comparisons, don't tell the whole story.

Whether Tillis is trying to suppress the blacks or the democrats are trying to Enrage blacks to vote, some minorities and democrats feel like they're being targeted. It's called backlash.

Feel free to look up what a backlash is. But you can't look at these numbers and say "oh, see, it makes turnout better"

What else could motivate democrats to come out of the woodworks to vote this year? Because they're upset at the voter changes among other issues.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:56 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
I don't know what Tillis has to do with what I said. I didn't vote for him so it doesn't matter to me if he wins or loses. This is the worry of partisans. I'm not one of them.
It has everything to do with this thread you remain highly active in... Regardless of your "facts", there is a perceived voter suppression movement targeting groups that net net should benefit the GOP. To deny perception trumps reality when it comes to public opinion is folly.

The GOP wants lower turnout because everyone knows when less people vote, they get better results. This is a well known fact. However, they are in a serious demographics trap that is only getting worse as they continue to alienate minorities (and women) with their policies. This was all fine when the stay at home bubble heads voted with their husbands, the blacks didn't have easy access to social media, and the gay vote was held underground. Yet they continue to play to the dwindling demographic ignoring what is happening right in front of their eyes. The hard Right white Christians land owners are dinosaurs and need to wake up.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
You have not established this as fact. It's an opinion. And the results so far, don't support that opinion.

The ones who have claimed that voting was made harder, are now the ones that have to prove what they say is more than opinion. I don't see it. State law doesn't support it, and the early voting results certainly don't support it.

The fact is people - believe - it is suppression and were enraged. Therefore, you had higher turnout of those people who believe they are being suppressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina