Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What is more clear than ever is an urban/liberal vs rural/conservative divide.
The numbers don't show this.

Charlotte Metro
  • Hagen - 249,975
  • Tillis - 270,254
I would not consider the Charlotte Metro area to be a rural backwash. Furthermore, there are a number of counties in the rural East of NC where Hagan did win the county. Places like Halifax, Warren and Vance counties.

I've said many time in this topic, that it's far more complicated in NC than a simple liberal vs conservative, urban vs rural battle.

Quote:
Please don't use bullet points.
You are welcome to put me on ignore. I won't mind.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM

363 posts, read 444,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The numbers don't show this.

Charlotte Metro
  • Hagen - 249,975
  • Tillis - 270,254
I would not consider the Charlotte Metro area to be a rural backwash. Furthermore, there are a number of counties in the rural East of NC where Hagan did win the county. Places like Halifax, Warren and Vance counties.

I've said many time in this topic, that it's far more complicated in NC than a simple liberal vs conservative, urban vs rural battle.

Digging even deeper on this, York and Lancaster counties in SC voted heavily in republican favor.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I would not consider the Charlotte Metro area to be a rural backwash.
It's Tillis' home territory.
But a 5% differential there (30:520) doesn't support crowing.

Quote:
The bullet points make editing tedious.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
I was about to post that! Haha, I must say that I'm a bit surprised they took every seat, I guess people must have gotten tired of their inaction on education and transit; but I'm glad they did since I think they'll be more prepared to invest in our future with the new Wake transit plan (though I was fine with the old one) and more education supplement funding. (although I do agree with the Republicans that it should be the state's responsibility, but then again it's their party that has invoked the need for more local funding.)
With all the Republicans out. The Dems have declared a mandate already. I'm starting to hear a strange sucking sound coming from my back pocket.

I am in favor of both higher teacher pay and better transit. Lets hope they don't go crazy in the other direction. Spending just because they can.

Lastly for all the Wake residents how long do you think it will take for the transit referendum? Could it happen as soon as next year?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It's Tillis' home territory.
But a 5% differential there (30:520) doesn't support crowing.
No crowing. I voted for Sean Haugh.

I was pointing out that it wasn't a simple issue of rural vs urban. Conservative vs Liberal (whatever that is supposed to mean these days). It's far more complicated. That mindset did seem to fool a lot of pollsters who got it completely wrong.

If it was, then Wake, Meckenlenburg, Guilford, Forsythe, Durham, Cumberland, Buncombe and New Hanover counties would own the state elections, but they don't. Not even close.

On the other matter, teaching simple PC editing skills would be off topic. I'll continue to use bullets where I see fit.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post

Lastly for all the Wake residents how long do you think it will take for the transit referendum? Could it happen as soon as next year?
Ironically, Charlotte's transit referendum was pushed forward by our former Republican Mayor Pat McCrory. (now the governor)

Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
No crowing. I voted for Sean Haugh.

I was pointing out that it wasn't a simple issue of rural vs urban. Conservative vs Liberal (whatever that is supposed to mean these days). It's far more complicated. That mindset did seem to fool a lot of pollsters who got it completely wrong.

If it was, then Wake, Meckenlenburg, Guilford, Forsythe, Durham, Cumberland, Buncombe and New Hanover counties would own the state elections, but they don't. Not even close.

On the other matter, teaching simple PC editing skills would be off topic. I'll continue to use bullets where I see fit.

Charlotte metro consist of Urban, Suburban and rural areas. Only Charlotte (and I wouldn't include Ballantyne or University). Huntersville, Gastonia, Concord all suburban. And of course surrounding counties have tons o rural areas.

Itd be more interesting to see Rural VS. Urban using Charlotte VS. the rest of the metro. Gaston, Cabarrus, Iredell, Lincoln & Union are solidly Red.

Thom Tillis actually did better in the Suburbs than he did in the rural area by a good margin. Kay Hagan dominated with around 64% o the urban vote.

Hagan did well among college graduates also.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Ironically, Charlotte's transit referendum was pushed forward by our former Republican Mayor Pat McCrory. (now the governor)
I voted for him. For that exact reason. I thought he was a forward thinking Rep. Look what we ended up with.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I voted for him. For that exact reason. I thought he was a forward thinking Rep. Look what we ended up with.
Relative to the rest of the USA, the Governor of NC is relatively weak power wise. Almost everything important government wise comes from the NC General Assembly.

McCrory has gone up against his own party in the GA several times in the last 2 years.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I'm glad that's over... I know many people will be happy "their team won". I look forward to all the positive things so many believed these candidates will bring to NC and the country now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina