Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 PM

12 posts, read 51,401 times

Advertisements

What would be the best to be with family?
We just came back from visiting Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh....
Like all 3 of them. What places would be the best to be, as far as schools, and things to do for kids? Crime rate?
What are the best areas in Charlotte? I heart that Union county is the best place to be right now? Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaH View Post
What would be the best to be with family?
We just came back from visiting Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh....
Like all 3 of them. What places would be the best to be, as far as schools, and things to do for kids? Crime rate?
What are the best areas in Charlotte? I heart that Union county is the best place to be right now? Is it true?

There are several good areas in and around all three of these cities. A lot depends on how much you can spend on a house and where you will be working. Union county is one of the places people are flocking to right now. It is scenic and rural feeling. But schools, like in all the "best places" are overcrowded. Tell us more about what you are specifically looking for and maybe we can help.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
I am partial to the south Charlotte/Union county area. While it is true that the schools are overcrowded, there are new schools scheduled to open in the next 2-3 years to alleviate some of the problem. When we first moved (from NY) to the area, we were in south Charlotte -- now we live in Union county. We love this area. Let me know if I can help in any way and best of luck to you

Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Charlotte - 8th Most Violent City in the nation.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:18 PM

We work from home, and have 3 years old boy.
We want to have a nice-nice house. Seemsa like for 300K-500K we can get a nice place. we don't want to have a huge place, it's more important to have nice, but in more upscale area.
I want to spend few days a week going with my son to different places, that he would be interested in.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Thank you!!!
We want to have a nice-nice house. Seemsa like for 300K-500K we can get a nice place. we don't want to have a huge place, it's more important to have nice, but in more upscale area.
I want to spend few days a week going with my son to different places, that he would be interested in.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!!
Well, it doesn't sound like Union county would quite be right as far as "upscale" goes. If you want rural, bucolic surroundings that you have to drive to get anywhere, that would be Union county. When it comes time for him to go to school what are your plans? (homeschooling, public or private schools?) I would actually suggest you look more in the city if you aren't interested in a "McMansion" but still want something nice. Try the Cotswald area or even neighborhoods off Providence Road (like Lansdowne), or some of the neighborhoods off of Sardis Road. You are closer in to the city in these places for things like Discovery Place (childrens museum) libraries for story time, YMCA's for sports programs or swimming lessons, and the Childrens Hospital within Carolinas Medical Center downtown in an emergency.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
Quote:
Thank you!!!
For 300K-500K you can get a VERY nice place here. I can set you up on an automatic search if you'd like -- I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Feel free to PM me and we can go over the search criteria. I can also send you a relocation packet if you would like. Take care

Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM

We looked at some places, and real estate agent showed us some new constructions home(we prefer new), so we drove in union county, and west of union county.
we didn't look at any older houses, but few that we saw in greensboro, we didn't like it. We did like custom home, 500K but far north, and it would not work for us as good, as closer to the city.
Our agent recommended us in the begining #4 and #5 (providence rd),but when we told her we want brand new, she thought Union county would be the best for us. Low taxes, not so far from the city, and more house for the money.....
I think, that we can remodel 10 years old house, or older....
Consern would be electric bill....
It's hard to decide. And I wouldn't like to drive on regular base more than 20 minutes. Also we love to shop at Costco....and I like good malls.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
We looked at some places, and real estate agent showed us some new constructions home(we prefer new), so we drove in union county, and west of union county.
we didn't look at any older houses, but few that we saw in greensboro, we didn't like it. We did like custom home, 500K but far north, and it would not work for us as good, as closer to the city.
Our agent recommended us in the begining #4 and #5 (providence rd),but when we told her we want brand new, she thought Union county would be the best for us. Low taxes, not so far from the city, and more house for the money.....
I think, that we can remodel 10 years old house, or older....
Consern would be electric bill....
It's hard to decide. And I wouldn't like to drive on regular base more than 20 minutes. Also we love to shop at Costco....and I like good malls.
Didn't realize new construction was a deal breaker. Well, there are several little "in-fill" projects going on in south Charlotte where you could possibly get new construction within the hwy 51 boundry. If you are interested pm me and I will tell you what I know about them. Seriously, if you don't want a traffic hassle to get to shopping I would say stay inside 51 if you decide on Charlotte. But also know this, if you would take an older home the ones in the most desirable neighborhoods will most likely have already been remodeled. There is a lot to be said for the older more established neighborhoods in Charlotte - beautiful trees and landscaping, no new construction noise or mess to live with, close in locations.
There i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina