U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM

23,565 posts, read 29,780,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And as a general rule, for any place in NC ending in "-ville", it's pronounced "-vul".

Green-vul, Ashe-vul, States-vul, etc. Oddly, the more syllables in the word, the less likely this is (e.g. Faye-ett-ville as stated by someone above, or "Hen-der-son-vill"). I personally say either one for Fayetteville; Fed-vul to a Southerner and Fay-ett-ville to a Northerner, without noticing.

Also, New Bern has the accent on the "NEW", not on the "BERN", making it unlike almost any other "New ____" place (New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, New London, etc). It's "NEW bern"
Just out of curiosity, I'm used to saying v'l for ville. I hear some natives say vul but others say v'l. Is that regional where I live or statewide?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM

11,878 posts, read 13,039,795 times
I think "v'l" and "vul" sound almost the same to my ear, but "v'l" just doesn't have any vowel sound, much like "bl" at the beginning of a word, like "blue" or "blend", or the "vl" in "Vlasic" pickles.

"Ville" rhymes with "Bill" and sounds pretty different.

For the record, I say "FAY-et-v'l", not "Fay-et-ville", and definitely not "Fed-vul" <shudder>.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think "v'l" and "vul" sound almost the same to my ear, but "v'l" just doesn't have any vowel sound, much like "bl" at the beginning of a word, like "blue" or "blend", or the "vl" in "Vlasic" pickles.

"Ville" rhymes with "Bill" and sounds pretty different.

For the record, I say "FAY-et-v'l", not "Fay-et-ville", and definitely not "Fed-vul" <shudder>.
Thank you. I'd rep you again if it would let me.

I run into the ville pronunciations most with Cherryville & Asheville. There are more pronunciations of Cherryville than Carter's has liver pills.

Not that it makes much difference, but the vl in Vlasic hits the v just a touch harder, making it pretty close to Vulasic. (The headquarters are in the Philly metro). I guess that's why I hear a difference between v'l & vul.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 16,085,777 times
So is the dividing line between Ville and vul the Va/Nc border?

I say and hear Martinsville and Danville not Martinsvul and Danvul

When I lived up North we had thousands of Villes but no Vuls.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So is the dividing line between Ville and vul the Va/Nc border?

I say and hear Martinsville and Danville not Martinsvul and Danvul

When I lived up North we had thousands of Villes but no Vuls.
In South Jersey they are all v'l. My favorite is a little place called Westville, pronounced locally Wesv'l.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM

269 posts, read 370,663 times
You forgot to mention that the town of Beaufort is in Carteret county and not Beau co.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,957,945 times
I believe the correct pronunciation for Camp Lejune (US Marine base in Jacksonville, NC) is "le-jurn"
Why Does WUNC Pronounce 'Camp Lejeune' With An 'R'? | WUNC

Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 PM

401 posts, read 569,820 times
Where's Fayetteville?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 5,529,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I believe the correct pronunciation for Camp Lejune (US Marine base in Jacksonville, NC) is "le-jurn"
Why Does WUNC Pronounce 'Camp Lejeune' With An 'R'? | WUNC
I always cringed when I heard them say "Luh-JERN", but now I know why. Very interesting!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM

3,375 posts, read 5,529,395 times
I've posted this before but:

The "T" in Clinton (Clin'on) flew north to Wilson (Wilt'son).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina