U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

Very good. Except you left out Bahama, which is pronounced Buh-HAY-muh, and not like the Bahama islands. http://ehealthca.com/ipad/images/123.gif Then there's Mebane, which is not pronounced ME-Bane, but Mebbin. http://ehealthca.com/hu12uk1.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

10,525 posts, read 20,601,912 times
To answer southbound's question--yes, I mean "v'l" when I write "vul". The point is, you don't pronounce the vowel in "-ville" municipalities. This is not a NC/VA kind of thing as someone else pointed out; I think it's a Southern thing more than anything (cf "Loo-v'l", Kentucky).

As for the county mismatches, it is almost the rule rather than the exception in NC that a town with the name of X is not in X county: Davidson, Beaufort, Hertford, Henderson (though Hendersonville is--and btw that's one town where I do pronounce the VILL, probably because it's too many syllables to have the accent on the first syllable and 3 unaccented ones, we generally are going to accent about every 3rd syllable), Greene county has neither Greensboro nor Greenville (Green-v'l), Ashe county has neither Asheville nor Asheboro, Madison, several others.

The only two I can think of offhand where a city IS in the county with the same name are Durham and Halifax, though Gastonia is in Gaston and Lincolnton is in Lincoln.

One other accent issue--Rocky Mount is accented on the second word, which seems to stymie most local TV anchors, even Chris Hohmann who's been here at least 20+ years--always says ROCK-y-mount. Then again, they also say "NORTH hills" instead of "north HILLS".

Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,854,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
To answer southbound's question--yes, I mean "v'l" when I write "vul". The point is, you don't pronounce the vowel in "-ville" municipalities. This is not a NC/VA kind of thing as someone else pointed out; I think it's a Southern thing more than anything (cf "Loo-v'l", Kentucky).

As for the county mismatches, it is almost the rule rather than the exception in NC that a town with the name of X is not in X county: Davidson, Beaufort, Hertford, Henderson (though Hendersonville is--and btw that's one town where I do pronounce the VILL, probably because it's too many syllables to have the accent on the first syllable and 3 unaccented ones, we generally are going to accent about every 3rd syllable), Greene county has neither Greensboro nor Greenville (Green-v'l), Ashe county has neither Asheville nor Asheboro, Madison, several others.

The only two I can think of offhand where a city IS in the county with the same name are Durham and Halifax, though Gastonia is in Gaston and Lincolnton is in Lincoln.

One other accent issue--Rocky Mount is accented on the second word, which seems to stymie most local TV anchors, even Chris Hohmann who's been here at least 20+ years--always says ROCK-y-mount. Then again, they also say "NORTH hills" instead of "north HILLS".
Thanks, Francois.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 60,775,329 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZsV5g8VcmI

Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 AM

11,950 posts, read 13,110,293 times
Thanks for posting Sunny. I missed all of these and I'm a NC native!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 AM

14,586 posts, read 6,022,433 times
Catawba College is in Rowan County not Catawba County.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 PM

249 posts, read 244,060 times
Also like to add that Kernersville and Kenansville are two totally different towns. Kernersville is in Forsyth County while Kenansville is in Duplin County. Two similar sounding names, two completely different two.

Also Tarboro does in fact sit on the Tar River. The Tar River also changes to the Pamlico River when it goes pass the HWY 17 bridge.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 PM

2,135 posts, read 922,932 times
Incidentally my grandmother grew up in Goldston (population 300 on a good day) and when we visited her on the farm, sometimes she would take us to get a hot dog. At any rate, one time in high school I met someone from the city of Goldsboro (population like 35,000). I immediately confused the two places and then remarked how flabbergasted I was to meet someone from such a tiny place. It was all in good spirits, but in typical teenager awkwardness, I dug in on the coincidence of meeting someone from there. In hindsight there were clues something was amiss, namely that she failed to recognize the hot dog place next to the railroad when that was literally 50% of the town of Goldston. Only years later did I see a sign for Goldsboro heading down to the beach did it all of a sudden make sense. She probably thought I was making fun of her. Oops.

Last edited by Heel82; 01-31-2019 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 02:46 PM

839 posts, read 349,826 times
Don’t forget Topsail Island is pronounced “TOPsull”. And remember to say “VEEhickle” instead of vehicle and “INNsurance” instead of inSURance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina