Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM

473 posts, read 701,109 times

Advertisements

thanks for the heads-up. Oh, my poor little chickens-to-be, so many threats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post

When fall time arrives maybe you can enter your chicken in a county or state fair.

Looks like this one just left the hairdresser.. hehe
ONe of the chckens in the Chicken House at the State Far.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
..shucks, y'all are just saying that cause it's true.

Does the message under your ID refer to The Blue Ridge Mountains
I actually think, since life is slower in the 'country' we tend to be politer and happier. IF most people have an affiliation with the country on this thread then logically it would mean we're politer.
I prefer the big city, but I like the country too. I grew in the city, but I go out into the country every week or so.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Question I hope I'm allowed to say this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Dont let information scare you or anyone else, you sort of learn how to adapt with each of those issues so you can coexist.

Great thing for dealing with some bugs, and rodents is owning a cat.
If you have chickens then you run risk of snakes and foxes.
Hurricanes you become aware of what is around you and prepare accordingly.
Try to avoid state flood plains and FEMA flood plains.
Just FYI....Have you heard of the Weather Underground? Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground IMHO, this is a great weather site; and is one of the highest rated, esp. for hurricane info and reporting. The owner of the site, Dr Jeff Masters, was a Hurricane Hunter earlier on in his career.

The site is free, but for a paltry $10 membership fee, you don't have to look at ads! Check it out Plus there are lots of other benefits.**

Last edited by Macrina; 01-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: ** I am not receiving any remuneration from Weather Underground....I just think they are great :)

Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Dont let information scare you or anyone else, you sort of learn how to adapt with each of those issues so you can coexist.

Great thing for dealing with some bugs, and rodents is owning a cat.
If you have chickens then you run risk of snakes and foxes.
Hurricanes you become aware of what is around you and prepare accordingly.
Try to avoid state flood plains and FEMA flood plains.
Good points:

1. Yep, we have a female Calico and she can smell a field mouse from a long distance. We had the builder check under the house this morning as she smelled a mouse under the house. Turns out there was one trying to get up the satellite television cable hole. She earned herself treats for a week for that.
2. Three of our neighbors own and operate chicken ranches but they are state of the art and they have lots of dogs patrolling around. There was one fox but the hounds got him.
3. Hurricanes are no worse here than other places we have lived. Like you said just be prepared ahead of time and generally they just come and go.
4. Good to check to see if you are in any sort of flood plain before you buy and build. We are not in any of those. If you are in a flood plain the mortgage holder will require added insurance coverage on the home.

We also have lots of barn hawks flying overhead daily and at least 3 dozen barn cats patrolling the neighborhood. I'd hate to be a critter in this neighborhood.

I wouldn't trade living in the country for a life in the city.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Are you going to raise chickens for the meat, for the eggs or for pets? Rhode Island Reds make great eggs, but I think that Purdue and Tyson have the lock on eatin' chickens...

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Default chickens

When we lived in NYS, we raised Golden Rockets (which are a Rhode Island Red cross -- more calm than RIRs. They lay brown eggs. We'd raise them for the eggs (because they don't lay too well after they're butchered!)

We're only going to have about a dozen (plus a rooster if we can find one who isn't mean-tempered.)

My husband also wants to raise guinea hens -- does anyone have any experience with them?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
When we lived in NYS, we raised Golden Rockets (which are a Rhode Island Red cross -- more calm than RIRs. They lay brown eggs. We'd raise them for the eggs (because they don't lay too well after they're butchered!)

We're only going to have about a dozen (plus a rooster if we can find one who isn't mean-tempered.)

My husband also wants to raise guinea hens -- does anyone have any experience with them?
try this link..it may be what your husband is looking for:
Raising Guinea Fowl

The author claims you can mix guinea hens with chickens!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Default guinea fowl

Thanks, Mikey_NC -- I've read quite a bit of that website and find it fascinating, so I'll save it for 'later.'

Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,216 times
Ah! Another great thing about living in a rural area......fresh eggs. There is nothing like fresh eggs. You know, the ones that actually have color and taste? And a vegetable garden. There's nothing like having fresh vegatables that you picked right out of your garden just before dinner. There is so much satisfaction in preparing food that you grew in the backyard and you know exactly what's in it.... and on it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina