U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 PM

473 posts, read 1,662,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Today I noticed that one of my elderly neighbors was having some difficulty in helping a visitor get her car started. I naturally went over to ask if I could help.

The old timer said, "I'd be obliged" but the woman looked stunned! Well, it was no big deal as all I needed to do was get the jumper cables into action and she started up on the first try.

The woman, also elderly, thanked me profusely and I was so embarassed as I thought nothing of it. She came from the city and said if it happened there she would have had to call AAA and the police.

the old timer looked at me and winked and his female guest drove off with a happy smile on her face.

This made me feel good and I knew that I was meant to live out here.

I am sure all of you have a story like this so do share...
Now thats a sweet story!!

Ok I have a story. Its not really something about being a country girl but I did bring some leftovers (awesome leftovers I must say) from Christmas dinner to a guest at the hotel I work at because I knew he was alone here trying to make a buck for his family to survive on. Sad story indeed. He still doesn't know it was me! LOL I just wrote "Merry Christmas... from Santa" on the note. He suspected me as per the front desk but no confirmation was made.. I hope he just thinks it was a gift from God.

OK thats my story. (it felt good to share it.. sort of anonymous here so I can do that and still be humble)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,815,650 times
Thumbs up good story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Now thats a sweet story!!

Ok I have a story. Its not really something about being a country girl but I did bring some leftovers (awesome leftovers I must say) from Christmas dinner to a guest at the hotel I work at because I knew he was alone here trying to make a buck for his family to survive on. Sad story indeed. He still doesn't know it was me! LOL I just wrote "Merry Christmas... from Santa" on the note. He suspected me as per the front desk but no confirmation was made.. I hope he just thinks it was a gift from God.

OK thats my story. (it felt good to share it.. sort of anonymous here so I can do that and still be humble)
good story and very timely this time of year. You were in fact a messenger from God so that made it a gift from God.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Thumbs up Black eyed peas and collard greens

I am aware that this subject has been posted in other forums, but since I feel it is a topic that country folks would be aware of more than city folks, let me say this:

Black eyed peas and collard greens are considered good luck foods down South. I discussed with a elderly farmer neighbor and he said that this is true. I can't remember the entire explanation but whatever he said made sense to me.

My Wife loves both veggies so it will be part of our dinner tomorrow on New Year's Day!

If anyone in here has the accurate explanation for why this is true please post it so we can all share.

Okay, got to get back out into the yard as there are a few critters out there chasing a deer

Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM

473 posts, read 678,215 times
Default just for fun: the most rural?

Ok, let's see who's the most rural:

the town we'll be moving to doesn't have mail delivery; you have to go to the post office (and though I haven't been inside yet, from the outside it looks smaller than a one-car garage).

Can you beat this?

Nims

Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up No mail delivery???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Ok, let's see who's the most rural:

the town we'll be moving to doesn't have mail delivery; you have to go to the post office (and though I haven't been inside yet, from the outside it looks smaller than a one-car garage).

Can you beat this?

Nims
OK you win...we have rural mail delivery and mail pickup and they will bring you postage stamps if you leave the $$$ in a special envelope.

We don't actually have a post office...we "borrow" the one in Dunn, which is in the next county...???..but it works. Here in NC your town is determined by your post office so we are in Dunn...even though we aren't in Dunn...see???

Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Smile I win? just like that???

gee, MikeyNC, you give up too easily!

But, I know what you mean about where you are is determined by your post office; I sent a note to my new next-door neighbor introducing myself, and I addressed it to her street address. It was returned undelivered, without even a hint about what the correct address might have been. (Surely that wasn't top-secret!)I got her phone number and called her just to say 'hello, we bought the house next door.' And I got her mailing address, which was a post office box address in the nearby/larger town even though the actual post office is located in the town where she lives. Go figure. Surely that wasn't top-secret information, but....

Nims

Last edited by Nims; 12-31-2007 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: add more info (twice)

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up Too easy...nah!

Quote:
gee, MikeyNC, you give up too easily!

But, I know what you mean about where you are is determined by your post office; I sent a note to my new next-door neighbor introducing myself, and I addressed it to her street address. It was returned undelivered, without even a hint about what the correct address might have been. (Surely that wasn't top-secret!)I got her phone number and called her just to say 'hello, we bought the house next door.' And I got her mailing address, which was a post office box address in the nearby/larger town even though the actual post office is located in the town where she lives. Go figure. Surely that wasn't top-secret information, but....

Nims
I know when to throw in the towel...after all we get mail delivered and you don't...so you are more rural....but how many farms are around you and are there more farms than houses?????

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Cool check out 'state forum' lists and # of posts for NC!

Hey -- yay for us -- 218,000+ posts, more than California, Texas, Florida.

WE ROCK!

Nims

Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Default farms?

Sorry -- no farms in sight; too rural!

Nims

Old 12-31-2007, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up huh>

Quote:
Sorry -- no farms in sight; too rural!

Nims
Too rural for farms??? Isn't that like saying too urban for tall buildings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina