U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 PM

473 posts, read 677,887 times

Advertisements

Someone will give me the source of this -- that we are supposed to be giving anonymously (probably the Bible?) -- and that way, we are not giving to be getting thanks.

And also, you can be much more exuberant in your giving, because it won't seem as if you are doing it just for the thanks.

I belong to an email newsletter group that tries to conserve and reuse. There was a lot of discussion about giving anonymous useful gifts like warm clothing to those whose names were provided by clergy, church groups, schools, etc. Many who did this wrapped up the gifts, left them on the doorstep, rang the bell, and ran away so it'd be an anonymous surprise. I told my DH, and he said, 'How many people these days would be hesitant to open a package they found on their doorsteps?' and I have to wonder -- so, how about YOU? would you give a gift that way, or accept one, if you were needy?

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM

Default black-eyed peas

There's a submission on the General Forum (Food and Drink) by TexasReb about black-eyed peas -- quite interesting, but -- apocryphal? Anyone know?

I've had collards, cooked with vegetable oil, but I didn't like them (don't care for oily food....)

Can anyone suggest a recipe for making a very tasty dish with collards? They are so inexpensive and so very Southern! Not to mention healthy. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Smile other forum members from Warren County?

I know there are at least 2 others, because they replied to me when I first came here asking about Warren County.

We'd love your support on the RuralLife thread!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,660,950 times
We have a post office.. can't beat that one. Reminds me of "The Funny Farm" when they had the drunk postman beeping his horn and driving like a mad man and literally tossing the mail on the driveway. LOL

Now to answer the anonymous gift question. When my Dh was out of work and we had 4 kids to feed including one of them being an infant, we were running out of money. We drained our emergency savings (while trying to sell our NJ home to get to NC to afforadable living) and we drained my teenage son's college fund. (thankfully he'll be headed to the military now but still.. i felt bad) So I did take anonymous gifts often. Baby stuff, gift cards, cash.. it was all from God.

If you need proof of this "humbling giving style" (not being sassy.. you asked for the evidence of this so I am providing it) Its in Matthew.

Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
____

thats the best example I can offer and a true way I have decide to live

NcMommy

Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Default thank you for the source

Thanks, NCMommy, for the source of anonymous giving; I couldn't have quoted as clearly, but that was what I was thinking of.

So, today, if you found a package on your porch, would you be afraid to open it? (Maybe if it had a 'Merry Christmas from a Friend' type of label?)
I think I'd open it.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,810,791 times
Thumbs up Willow Springs is fortunate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
We have a post office.. can't beat that one. Reminds me of "The Funny Farm" when they had the drunk postman beeping his horn and driving like a mad man and literally tossing the mail on the driveway. LOL

Now to answer the anonymous gift question. When my Dh was out of work and we had 4 kids to feed including one of them being an infant, we were running out of money. We drained our emergency savings (while trying to sell our NJ home to get to NC to afforadable living) and we drained my teenage son's college fund. (thankfully he'll be headed to the military now but still.. i felt bad) So I did take anonymous gifts often. Baby stuff, gift cards, cash.. it was all from God.

If you need proof of this "humbling giving style" (not being sassy.. you asked for the evidence of this so I am providing it) Its in Matthew.

Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
____

thats the best example I can offer and a true way I have decide to live

NcMommy
...yes, fortunate to have you and your family there. You can do no less than be a moral part of your community and I think you will be blessed for that.

We are our brothers' keepers.

Happy New Year NCMommy2-4 and to your entire family

Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up Long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Someone will give me the source of this -- that we are supposed to be giving anonymously (probably the Bible?) -- and that way, we are not giving to be getting thanks.

And also, you can be much more exuberant in your giving, because it won't seem as if you are doing it just for the thanks.

I belong to an email newsletter group that tries to conserve and reuse. There was a lot of discussion about giving anonymous useful gifts like warm clothing to those whose names were provided by clergy, church groups, schools, etc. Many who did this wrapped up the gifts, left them on the doorstep, rang the bell, and ran away so it'd be an anonymous surprise. I told my DH, and he said, 'How many people these days would be hesitant to open a package they found on their doorsteps?' and I have to wonder -- so, how about YOU? would you give a gift that way, or accept one, if you were needy?

A long time ago, in a different State i was an officer in a fraternal order that shall remain nameless (am still a member of the fraternal order and have been since age 22). One of the duties of my position was to decide how to spend some charity money on the needy yet remain anonymous. We are big into charitable events but not on advertising it as the that would no longer be charity.

Ok, I came up with the bright idea to buy 200 frozen turkeys and, together with all the lodge brothers, and all at the same time, go to a specific poor neighborhood...drop a turkey on each front door and beat it!!!. We delivered all the turkeys in about a half hour and got away scot free!!!!

Next day, in a local newspaper, there was an article about some "madmen" who left frozen turkeys at people's doors, rang their bells and some were seen speedily making a hasty exit. The Health Department was called in to examine every turkey to see if they were tainted, but of course they were not.

For days after that the media scrambled to find out who the "givers"...no longer "madmen"...were as they wanted to THANK us. Lord have mercy!

As I said earlier charity is charity...and if you need a thank you for doing that it isn't charity any longer. Anyway, none of us ever let the secret get out. This actually happened one Thanksgiving Eve somewhere in the northeast....and my lips are sealed.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM

Thumbs up Here's an answer

Quote:
There's a submission on the General Forum (Food and Drink) by TexasReb about black-eyed peas -- quite interesting, but -- apocryphal? Anyone know?

I've had collards, cooked with vegetable oil, but I didn't like them (don't care for oily food....)

Can anyone suggest a recipe for making a very tasty dish with collards? They are so inexpensive and so very Southern! Not to mention healthy. Thanks in advance.

Here is how my Wife cooks collards, and bear in mind that there are many ways other than hers to prepare collards:

Remove the core and the hard parts, take only the good leaves (without the stem and the veins) and chop them up.

Put the collards in water, red wine vinegar (or red wine) along with chicken broth and lets them simmer for about an hour...or until they are as soft as you like.

Serve with corn bread for dipping as the juice is where most of the nutrients are.

Happy New Year...you owe me big time for this one

PS: Maybe this will draw other rural North Carolinians out to share their favorite collards recipes...???

Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Default a rural saying

Mikey_NC,

Your post reminded me of an old sayings from Upstate NY:

'Too windy to haul rocks'

Now as far as 'no farms in sight' -- it might be real wooded, or just have one BIG ole farm!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Thumbs up rocks...huh?

Quote:
Mikey_NC,

Your post reminded me of an old sayings from Upstate NY:

'Too windy to haul rocks'

Now as far as 'no farms in sight' -- it might be real wooded, or just have one BIG ole farm!
Rocks? Is that some sorta Yankee thing? .

Now I can understand one big ole farm as we have em here.

I left a post in the RDU forum about this thread and invited other rural area folks to come visit us here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina