Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 AM

108 posts, read 374,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
BRAVO!!! Thanks for posting this The point is, we have ALL come from someplace else originally (unless you are Native American) and need to remember our heritage and culture with respect, BUT, first and foremost we are AMERICANS.

I also love my Sicilian heritage! I read up on it, and found out my ancestors were most likely Phoenian because I am so dark? It is interesting, and I love to learn Italian.

But, yes, I think people forget this wonderful quote, back when things weren't so politically correct. If I moved to Germany, which I almost did, I would have the language down and learn the culture, that's for sure!!! Forgive my attitude, I live in S. Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
I also love my Sicilian heritage! I read up on it, and found out my ancestors were most likely Phoenian because I am so dark? It is interesting, and I love to learn Italian.

But, yes, I think people forget this wonderful quote, back when things weren't so politically correct. If I moved to Germany, which I almost did, I would have the language down and learn the culture, that's for sure!!! Forgive my attitude, I live in S. Florida.
Ditto on the heritage,i too am Sicilian ( just was there again a few weeks ago!)and darn proud of my ethnic heritage.Grew up in an ethnic household that embraced "our heritage".But in the end, we are proud to be an American

Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM

108 posts, read 374,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Ditto on the heritage,i too am Sicilian ( just was there again a few weeks ago!)and darn proud of my ethnic heritage.Grew up in an ethnic household that embraced "our heritage".But in the end, we are proud to be an American

I have been around Europe, thanks to the Army, and did drive thur north Italy but never made it to the south end. That is great you were there!!
So how do you embrace Sicilian heritage in the home? Other than cooking the best pasta in the world, I mean, which I do!!

Point is, speak English in America for Gosh sakes!! Even the Mexicans in Mexico expect Mexican to be spoken, (say that 3 times fast) and I can't blame them. These poor kids in S. FL get poor grades because their parents can't speak a lick of English!! Having a child myself, I feel so bad about it!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
If you are looking for a place to not be near immigrants; I'd suggest someplace other than NC. Actually, I'd suggest looking someplace other than most of the country right now. Maybe the upper midwest or interior mountain west. Other than that; you are going to have a large number of immigrants everywhere; especially in fast-growing areas like the Southeastern and Southwestern metropolitan areas.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
As an immigrant myself, it bugs me when others come here to a country the know speaks english and they refuse to speak it. I was lucky, I came from Ireland where we do speak english, but I assimilated to the American culture, grabbed it with two open hands and love it here.

In Europe no matter what language people speak, they all learn the business language which is english. Heck, my german friend who lives here speaks english better than me.
dorothy

Old 11-01-2006, 02:12 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
What bullcrap. As a native North Carolinian, may I just state right here and now that I totally embrace and welcome any diversity that anyone from outside of here may bring with them.
As long as they bring food!!!!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:
I have been around Europe, thanks to the Army, and did drive thur north Italy but never made it to the south end. That is great you were there!!
So how do you embrace Sicilian heritage in the home? Other than cooking the best pasta in the world, I mean, which I do!!

Point is, speak English in America for Gosh sakes!! Even the Mexicans in Mexico expect Mexican to be spoken, (say that 3 times fast) and I can't blame them. These poor kids in S. FL get poor grades because their parents can't speak a lick of English!! Having a child myself, I feel so bad about it!
Well in the home it was hard to embrace it raising my kids when their father was not. They love my pasta but thats about as Italian as it comes with them besides holidays with traditional Italian cuisine.I grew up with it surrounded by family and friends that are, so it was different for me.But i talk about it enough!!!
Its funny though, i have met here in N.C a few "Italian"people, my future neighbor being one!
I agree if you are in American please learn to speak it.I am tired in my job search that so many jobs are required to be Bilingual.I am feeling like because i dont speak Spanish,i cant get a job???? Is that really fair

Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Cliche.

America has its own culture. Its not this new nation that was formed here 5 years ago with people from all over the world. A nation without its own unique identity is not a nation. I think the orignal post was alluding to that while she is living in America, there is no assimilation to the American identity. Walking down the street and never hearing your native tongue spoke can be disheartening.
Applause!!!!!!!!!I hope all native to NC think like this. How refreshing.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Well in the home it was hard to embrace it raising my kids when their father was not. They love my pasta but thats about as Italian as it comes with them besides holidays with traditional Italian cuisine.I grew up with it surrounded by family and friends that are, so it was different for me.But i talk about it enough!!!
Its funny though, i have met here in N.C a few "Italian"people, my future neighbor being one!
I agree if you are in American please learn to speak it.I am tired in my job search that so many jobs are required to be Bilingual.I am feeling like because i dont speak Spanish,i cant get a job???? Is that really fair

No it's not fair,my Grandparents came here from Italy and they learned to speak English.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM

41 posts, read 145,888 times
Quote:

Point is, speak English in America for Gosh sakes!! Even the Mexicans in Mexico expect Mexican to be spoken,
They expect it in America too...that's why you have to push "1" for English! Cultural diversity is wonderful....demanding a country change it's ways for you with a sense of entitlement and disrespect for it's laws is another. What is happening is just that. Total disrespect for America and IT'S way of life. And as we approach Thanksgiving lets remember who was really here first

Sorry for the angry tone and I don't mean to offend anyone but this is a sore subject in my average little suburban seaside town. 10 months ago 2 innocent little boys were brutally brutally brutally murdered by an illegal alien with a fake ID. I feel it has gotten out of hand and I wonder if behind those conversations you don't understand is someone just like yourself, or someone who has escaped the law from some other country. We have become too welcoming without regard for our "citizens" first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina