Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
I don't really get why it matters if they stay or go? I would love to see some economic benefit statistics from these shows (Dawsons Creek would be the most intresting since it was probably the most important- if someone knows some links.. please share!!)

Is it that we just want these shows so we can say, hey, they are filmed in North Carolina? I am not trying to be a jerk here, i really don't understand it. I mean, its cool but I am sure it is not as important as having even a small manufacturing plant that employs 40+ people.

If anyone has any statistics on the impact of locally filmed television shows, please share!
They employ a LOT of people in the Wilmington area. Way more than 40. They also bring a lot of revenue to that area from celebrities and show fans. You've got actors, crew, agents, photographers...they pay to use people's homes for locations (you can sometimes get a remodel out of that)...retirees appear as extras to supplement their income...it's just great for the area.

Here's a story that notes New Hanover County would lose more than $10 million annually in tax revenue, and notes that about 2,000 people worked locally (they would not all be local residents, but they are NC residents).

Loss of film incentives estimated to cost New Hanover more than - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Mecklenburg is affected too, but it's New Hanover that concerns me more as they have fewer resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
That said, and I think I've mentioned upthread sometime back was as I understand it series production appears to be the only flavor that pencils out for economic return on investment. Features, while generally having larger budgets show strikingly less long-term enduring economic impact.

YMMV
I think I read that as well when Revolution moved production to Austin - that there was a concern that there would be no regular series though there were films in the works. Then they got at least two (Sleepy Hollow, Under the Dome). Hopefully the next Iron Man will go back there, but it seems unlikely? You never know.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:07 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Read that news "report" closely. It never says that New Hanover will lose this money. In fact it doesn't say anything definitive. But the most interesting thing about it is the qualifications of the author. He is being paid to do research on the issue by none other than the film industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I think I read that as well when Revolution moved production to Austin.
Revolution moved because of "creative reasons" as stated by the producer. But it's a moot point. That series was then canceled by the network due to poor ratings.

What happened with Revolution does point out however, even with the huge film credit being paid out by the state, there is no loyalty to the state from the very rich film industry.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 10-25-2014 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 06:34 AM

I know that's why Revolution moved and didn't state otherwise - the loss to the area is still there.

I'm not sure why you're questioning the writer of that story - he's a WECT news reporter?

*shrug*

Old 10-25-2014, 08:09 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm not sure why you're questioning the writer of that story - he's a WECT news reporter?
I should have been more clear. The reporter was parroting Robert Handfield, the author of the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina