Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

We've had these big green flying bugs in CA too but nothing like what I've seen here. I think they have larve that are big white ugly worms in the soil. My hubby says they are stink bugs but my friend thinks they are June bugs. They seem to be blind or something...they fly into everything and are hoovering all over out in the yard just above my lawn. Anyone really know what these are? They seem to be harmless except they run into you. Sure would like to clear up this mystery!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Default Japanese beetles on steroids.

LOL No, they're june bugs and yes, do come from those big ugly grubs you see in the spring. YUCK!!!!! BT (bacillus thurung**%& (can't spell it) is great, but has specific application instructions. Is NOT toxic to bees as it is not a pesticide. The County Ag Extention service can give more information.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Are they harmful to plants and trees like the Japanese beetles?? We have so many even my cats don't want to go outside!! :0

Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Are they harmful to plants and trees like the Japanese beetles?? We have so many even my cats don't want to go outside!! :0
Nah, they're just gross. Get the BT and spread it as directed - can't recall when. I am on acres, so I just treated around the house. I've noticed a few, so it's probably time to do it again (haven't in years). Stink bugs really do stink when you squish them, but are usually greyish and not as big. Be patient - someone is likely to post a photo (double gross) of both. Yuck!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM

222 posts, read 936,054 times
You can catch a June bug, tie a string to it's leg, then let it fly around with you holding the string. My dad did this when he was a very poor young boy for fun and did it for me when I was small.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
You can catch a June bug, tie a string to it's leg, then let it fly around with you holding the string. My dad did this when he was a very poor young boy for fun and did it for me when I was small.
Geez...ya couldn't string together a kite?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 AM

I have so many of those little buggers I wouldn't know which one to pick!! And to be honest they are pretty funny to watch. Poor things are just plain stupid or blind! They fly into everything including my cats...drives the cats nuts! There seems to be less of them the last few days. I suppose if they are harmless and they go away I can deal with it. Now the Japanese beetles are a different story. They have ruined a great deal of the leaves on my cherry tree. The leaves look like lace now. It's been a bit to breezy to spray the last few days and some of my trees are way to tall to spray....I was really hoping to find something I could put around the bottom of the tree like a systemic type thing. Don't even know if they make something like that. I have used the rose systemic insecticide and it works great on roses and their insects. Anyone heard of such a thing for these japanese beeltes???

Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have so many of those little buggers I wouldn't know which one to pick!! And to be honest they are pretty funny to watch. Poor things are just plain stupid or blind! They fly into everything including my cats...drives the cats nuts! There seems to be less of them the last few days. I suppose if they are harmless and they go away I can deal with it. Now the Japanese beetles are a different story. They have ruined a great deal of the leaves on my cherry tree. The leaves look like lace now. It's been a bit to breezy to spray the last few days and some of my trees are way to tall to spray....I was really hoping to find something I could put around the bottom of the tree like a systemic type thing. Don't even know if they make something like that. I have used the rose systemic insecticide and it works great on roses and their insects. Anyone heard of such a thing for these japanese beeltes???
Sevin dust, but it is toxic to bees. You could try traps, but then you'd have your neighbors insects as well. Careful about the June bugs - they've been known to carry off cats and small children.....

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Oh dear...guess I'll have to let my cats know!! I think, with the amount of them they may also carry my house off!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 PM

222 posts, read 936,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Geez...ya couldn't string together a kite?
Not in June!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina