Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times

Advertisements

We hear a lot about Northerners and how different they find NC. We also have heard some serious judgment from Southerners about transplants from the Northeast.

I'm very curious. Are there any natives on this forum who have actually spent a lot of time in Manhattan or the surrounding boroughs? I have met so many people here who've never been up North. It makes me feel like we're judged unfairly sometimes.

If any one of you has spent time working in, or just visiting NYC, Boston, or Philly-I'd love to hear your experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
We hear a lot about Northerners and how different they find NC. We also have heard some serious judgment from Southerners about transplants from the Northeast.

I'm very curious. Are there any natives on this forum who have actually spent a lot of time in Manhattan or the surrounding boroughs? I have met so many people here who've never been up North. It makes me feel like we're judged unfairly sometimes.

If any one of you has spent time working in, or just visiting NYC, Boston, or Philly-I'd love to hear your experiences!
NCMom, not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in anyway

Most southerners I know have at least traveled to NY (city and state) a few times in their lives, including me. But I think our mental images of New Yorkers tend to come from our interactions with them down here, or in vacation spots Americans like to frequent. For instance, we have traveled for several years to the Bahamas on vacation and always run into a ton of New Yorkers or northerners.

It is just an observation, but one that sticks with me, how loud and boisterous they can be compared to what we are used to. It's just the differences like that that tend to stand out. Oh, that and how much gold jewelry they all seem to wear LOL! Seriously, I've never known anyone to wear their gold chains, earrings and rings on several fingers the way New Yorkers do down to the beach!! The thing that really cracks us up is when you see a dad wearing 3 and 4 gold chains of varying thickness you would invariably see 10 or 12 year old junior wearing the same type thing!! Forgive me for laughing - I mean no disrespect. It's just so different than what we southerners are used to and that makes it stand out is all We aren't trying to judge you guys unfairly, we just don't always understand the way you do things "up there"

Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,353 times
I am a native New Yorker, and have been to many beaches. I have never seen anyone wear that much jewelry to a beach. Perhaps you are sharing an experience that you had back in the 80's when Mr. T was considered vogue. Nonetheless, your indirect disrespect lend well to the stereotypes of southerners. I won't list them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NCMom, not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in anyway

Most southerners I know have at least traveled to NY (city and state) a few times in their lives, including me. But I think our mental images of New Yorkers tend to come from our interactions with them down here, or in vacation spots Americans like to frequent. For instance, we have traveled for several years to the Bahamas on vacation and always run into a ton of New Yorkers or northerners.

It is just an observation, but one that sticks with me, how loud and boisterous they can be compared to what we are used to. It's just the differences like that that tend to stand out. Oh, that and how much gold jewelry they all seem to wear LOL! Seriously, I've never known anyone to wear their gold chains, earrings and rings on several fingers the way New Yorkers do down to the beach!! The thing that really cracks us up is when you see a dad wearing 3 and 4 gold chains of varying thickness you would invariably see 10 or 12 year old junior wearing the same type thing!! Forgive me for laughing - I mean no disrespect. It's just so different than what we southerners are used to and that makes it stand out is all We aren't trying to judge you guys unfairly, we just don't always understand the way you do things "up there"

Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I am a native New Yorker, and have been to many beaches. I have never seen anyone wear that much jewelry to a beach. Perhaps you are sharing an experience that you had back in the 80's when Mr. T was considered vogue. Nonetheless, your indirect disrespect lend well to the stereotypes of southerners. I won't list them here.
Hmm, I read it as more of an ethnic slur.

There are some groups that tend to wear "all" their jewelry all the time, as you know, Check.
They are just people, who, I think look silly like that ,but some of the greatest people I know do that. It is a cultural thing. Like driving a pickup when one is not actually engaged in farm work.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We aren't trying to judge you guys unfairly, we just don't always understand the way you do things "up there"
That's kind of what I'm talking about. I'm wondering if anyone has spent enough time to get a feel of the pace, the vibe, of the areas I mentioned.

Thank for the input, lovesMountains. I do know that Northeasterners can stand out at the beach, or on vacation-just as so many do in the South. But I wanted to know if anyone has spent enough time North to get a different perspective.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,872 times
Nothing wrong with Northerners if they would leave their politices in NY. See folks the reason it is like it is in NY [TAXES etc.] is because of your politics. We have a way of life that is different than yours. In short, don't come here and make it like the place you left. Try to understand why we have a great way of life and adapt.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitofly View Post
Nothing wrong with Northerners if they would leave their politices in NY. See folks the reason it is like it is in NY [TAXES etc.] is because of your politics. We have a way of life that is different than yours. In short, don't come here and make it like the place you left. Try to understand why we have a great way of life and adapt.
I really didn't want this thread to get political, or in any way North vs. South. I just think NYC is an amazing, bustling city, as well as Boston and Philly, and I was curious about how Southerners who have been there feel about it. I haven't met anyone here who has been up North.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 AM

127 posts, read 600,198 times
Default I pity the fool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I have never seen anyone wear that much jewelry to a beach. Perhaps you are sharing an experience that you had back in the 80's when Mr. T was considered vogue.
I pity the fool who start's talking smack about Mr. T.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
A great way of life? I believe the south is just starting to catch up to the north in the well-paying jobs department. And right-wing conservatism isn't the south's political ideology, it's an ideology that has been fed to brainless religious sheep who gobble it up and spew it out. The influx of northerners is a good thing - it might open y'all up to some rational political thought!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
I pity the fool who start's talking smack about Mr. T.

Ha ha, that was good. I'm just wondering, where was I when Mr. T was considered vogue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina