Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times

Advertisements

My spouse will be stationed there after she finishes AIT in a month. I googled and found some places, but wanted first hand experience vs looking at the floor plans and pricing.

Which apartment complex would you recommend that's right next to or really close to the base?
It looks like the difference between 1 and 2 bedrooms is very miniscule, I saw them range from an extra $20-$50? If it's really that cheap, why settle for a 1 BR when we can get two and probably get a roommate later?
Do these apartments come with a washer and dryer or do I need to pay extra?
How far is it from the beach?
Would you know if they have the military clause, where she'll be able to break her lease and not get penalized if she gets deployed or PCS in the future?

I would also like to know what there is to do in that part of town and what is the nearest city with things to do, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 PM

401 posts, read 657,085 times
Fayetteville, North Carolina is the nearest city to Fort Bragg. With a population of over 200k, there are lots of museums, parades, and a airport in the city, and I recommend that you live in Fayetteville instead of Fort Bragg. From what I know-
1. Better schools are off post
2. Fort Bragg area has more crime then the center of Fayetteville

Since I never actually lived in Fort Bragg, but just Fayetteville not much I can help you here.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
I don't have any first hand knowlege of apartments. Some will have laundry facilities and some won't The complexes off Cliffdale look nice. The beach is about 100 miles. All place locally will offer a military clause, don't sign a lease without one.

What do you like to do? There is something for everyone here if you look for it.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Fayetteville, North Carolina is the nearest city to Fort Bragg. With a population of over 200k, there are lots of museums, parades, and a airport in the city, and I recommend that you live in Fayetteville instead of Fort Bragg. From what I know-
1. Better schools are off post
2. Fort Bragg area has more crime then the center of Fayetteville

Since I never actually lived in Fort Bragg, but just Fayetteville not much I can help you here.
1. We don't have kids.
2. Not too worried about crime because we won't have much in our apartment.
3. Fayetteville is about 16 miles away from Fort Bragg and she wants the convenience of being next to the post. I was previously stationed in Fort Carson and had a apartment literally a block away from post. Very convenient

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like Fayetteville is the nearest city from FT. Bragg and that's probably where we'll be going on our weekends.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
1. We don't have kids.
2. Not too worried about crime because we won't have much in our apartment.
3. Fayetteville is about 16 miles away from Fort Bragg and she wants the convenience of being next to the post. I was previously stationed in Fort Carson and had a apartment literally a block away from post. Very convenient

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like Fayetteville is the nearest city from FT. Bragg and that's probably where we'll be going on our weekends.
Fort Bragg is IN Fayetteville. They've put both populations together a few years ago.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Ft. Bragg has a number of gates, and All-American freeway quickly connects different areas of Fayetteville to post. Fayetteville literally runs right up to Bragg (not 16 miles away). That being said, there are a number of apartment complexes with very short commute times onto Ft. Bragg.

Cliffdale Rd: Living off of Cliffdale Rd is great because you have two ways onto post if you live relatively close to Skibo (7-10 mins). You can take the ramp onto All-American which leads to the main gate or you can take Reilly Rd which has a gate. Also Cliffdale runs into Skibo, which is the major shopping area. Everything will be close.

Santa Fe Rd: There are also apartments off of the Sante Fe Rd exit on All-American, which is closer to the main gate. It is still close to shopping as you can hop on the freeway and take the Morganton exit.

There are some apartments and townhouses closer to other gates such as Reilly Rd and Yadkin gates as well. Honestly, there are plenty places to choose from in Fayetteville.

Apartments: There are a number of nice, gated apartment communties which are affordable in Fayetteville in general. Some have washers and dryers while others do not. Often, you rent through Azuma or Appliance Warehouse or the complex may arrange the rental and add it to your monthly rent.

Military clauses are standard here. Bragg is the 2nd largest Army post.

Feel free to message me.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-18-2014 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
It maybe 16 miles from downtown to Ft. Bragg, but Ft. Bragg is righttherenextdoor to Fayetteville. Soldiers come to Skibo Rd. to eat lunch. It's really not as far as you think.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
It maybe 16 miles from downtown to Ft. Bragg, but Ft. Bragg is righttherenextdoor to Fayetteville. Soldiers come to Skibo Rd. to eat lunch. It's really not as far as you think.
16 miles from post isn't good when you have thousands of soldier members going to work at the same time. I had friends who lived 5+ miles off post and it would take them 20-30 minutes to get on post because of traffic.

Assuming traffic is as bad as my previous duty station, that would be about 30 minutes to 1 hour driving to and back from work. She would rather keep that extra hour to hour and a half to spend on herself than sit in traffic.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
16 miles from post isn't good when you have thousands of soldier members going to work at the same time. I had friends who lived 5+ miles off post and it would take them 20-30 minutes to get on post because of traffic.

Assuming traffic is as bad as my previous duty station, that would be about 30 minutes to 1 hour driving to and back from work. She would rather keep that extra hour to hour and a half to spend on herself than sit in traffic.
You'll definitely sit in traffic for about a hour coming 5 miles from post. Fort Bragg is like Fort Worth, there are shopping malls all over Fort Bragg, movie theaters, skating, and alot of other things. Fort Bragg even has its own population by US census of about 30,000 people. You'll be sitting in alot of traffic, especially during rush hour, and you're hearing this from a guy who lives in a city of over 800,000 people.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
More Apartment info...

Yadkin Rd: Check out Jamestown Commons, which is literally seconds from the Yadkin Gate. These look nice from the outside.

Reilly Rd: Check out Independence Place. These are very nice and perhaps 2 mins from the gate. Also check out Family Lodge. These appear to be smaller townhomes about 2 mins from the Reilly gate and also look nice.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina