U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 27,640 times

Advertisements

I've read that a lot of New Englanders relocate to general area. I was wondering if the same is true of New Yorkers. Which area has the most New Yorkers? We are thinking of relocating this summer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,082,841 times
CARY--Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Seriously, try Weddington, Mooresville and the Lake Norman area, Cary, Wake Forest, Hendersonville or Brevard.

I forgot Southern Pines.

Last edited by NCN; 12-31-2007 at 01:24 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,389,719 times
Default Relocate to Wilmington

When I visited Long Island last summer I spoke to a lot of folks who had plans to relocate to the Wilmington NC area, also in neighboring SC, around Myrtle Beach. There were lots of New York license plates when I vacationed there recently and many people were looking at housing. Its my favorite part of NC and its an attractive place to retire(with or without hurricanes).

Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,723,639 times
Thumbs up Transplant favorite locations

I have found all of y'all Yankees like to settle down here in the major cities...in town and in the burbs. I agree that Cary is a big hot spot but so is Apex, Chapel Hill, the entire Raleigh sprawl, Charlotte and maybe Wilmington. I live out in the country and only see NY plates when I have to travel on I-95.

Leave your snowblowers but do bring your sense of humor as we can be quite a raucous bunch . Some will call you Damned Yankees if you visit here and then decide to stay here, but we country folks will refer to y'all as transplants.

If you continue to seek info here in NC you will find many helpful C-D members who will go the extra mile to assist...and we are biased towards our Mods as they are a select bunch.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,389,719 times
Default Transplants

It looks like the rural life may be coming to an end in NC, since the state is now one of the top fastest growing in the nation. I know two people from here in VA that have just moved to rural eastern NC. There must be something in the water down there!! Ha Ha.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM

473 posts, read 1,636,396 times
I can count at least 5 NY'rs in my subdivision of Willow Spring so far.. and probably more but I haven't met them all since there are new people that moved in recently.

Between the NY/NJ mix.. its gotta be more than natives.

NcMommy

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM

4,607 posts, read 7,193,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcorny View Post
I've read that a lot of New Englanders relocate to general area. I was wondering if the same is true of New Yorkers. Which area has the most New Yorkers? We are thinking of relocating this summer.
Are you looking to relocate in any specific areas of NC? Are you interested in any areas over other areas? Such as the mountains or the ocean?

As you will find pockets thru out NC where many New Yorkers have decided to call it home. And as Mikey said, generally the metro areas and surrounding areas of them have seen many transplants from New York.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,723,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Are you looking to relocate in any specific areas of NC? Are you interested in any areas over other areas? Such as the mountains or the ocean?

As you will find pockets thru out NC where many New Yorkers have decided to call it home. And as Mikey said, generally the metro areas and surrounding areas of them have seen many transplants from New York.
When we lived in North Raleigh in an apartment complex, north of The Crabtree Creek Mall, at least half of the residents were from someplace other than North Carolina with the majority being from NY, NJ and MA. I have yet to meet anyone from up north in Dunn, the closest city to where I live now, but that city doesn't have what the other metro cities have to offer.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:44 PM

4,607 posts, read 7,193,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
When we lived in North Raleigh in an apartment complex, north of The Crabtree Creek Mall, at least half of the residents were from someplace other than North Carolina with the majority being from NY, NJ and MA. I have yet to meet anyone from up north in Dunn, the closest city to where I live now, but that city doesn't have what the other metro cities have to offer.

Yup you will find alot of transplants now call the RDU and surrounding areas home. And some areas around here will have a larger concentration of transplants.
North Carolina Native has also mentioned some of the areas that have seen many New Yorkers decide to call it home .

Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 PM

217 posts, read 1,056,636 times
Many NY'ers in Hampstead (right outside of Wilmington)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina