Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
... In other words, his thinking may have been "If a professor can allow grad students to grade papers, I guess it's okay for him to assign grading responsibility to his admin". Pretty simple concept really--sorry if it tripped you up.

And to be clear, no one here is justifying what happened......
In regards to this topic, your first point is nothing but a fallacy since you previously said that grad students grading papers is as common as air. You are also making an assumption as to what someone else thinks then drawing conclusions.

In terms of justification, IMO, that is exactly what you are attempting to do no matter how much it's denied. You are trying to say that, yes it did happen, but nobody really realized it. People are not as slow as you try to make them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In regards to this topic, your first point is nothing but a fallacy since you previously said that grad students grading papers is as common as air. You are also making an assumption as to what someone else thinks then drawing conclusions.

In terms of justification, IMO, that is exactly what you are attempting to do no matter how much it's denied. You are trying to say that, yes it did happen, but nobody really realized it. People are not as slow as you try to make them out to be.

Unfortunately, you seem to be quite slow, as you apparently struggle in understanding very simple facts and concepts. I really don't know what you're talking about here, because grad students grading papers is extremely common. And besides, I don't know why you are focusing on grad students anyway--I merely mentioned it as a passing example of people other than professors who are allowed to grade papers. Nothing more to it than that.

And regarding your last paragraph above, you are (as usual) completely wrong in your assumption. It's not me, but the Wainstein report itself that says "yes, it did happen, but nobody really realized it." Their conclusion is based on review of over one million emails and numerous interviews. I'm quite confident their conclusion is more grounded in fact than yours.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
...-I merely mentioned it as a passing example of people other than professors who are allowed to grade papers. Nothing more to it than that....
Ahh. So now you have flip-flopped back to it being irrelevant to the topic again. It's what I said in the first place.

You second comment only confirms what I said. You are attempting to justify UNC's 2 decade system of academic fraud as an honest mistake. Given that premise you go on to conclude the school isn't really at fault. That is nonsense of course and everyone sees it, including "slow" ones like myself.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh. So now you have flip-flopped back to it being irrelevant to the topic again. It's what I said in the first place.

You second comment only confirms what I said. You are attempting to justify UNC's 2 decade system of academic fraud as an honest mistake. Given that premise you go on to conclude the school isn't really at fault. That is nonsense of course and everyone sees it, including "slow" ones like myself.

Your reading comprehension (or lack thereof) often borders on comedy, but then I realize how difficult it must be for someone to go through life with such limitations and I actually feel sad for you.

First, I have not "flipped-flopped" on anything. I made a simple point (that again, you fail to grasp) that it's not unusual for someone other than a professor to grade papers, and I gave an example of grad students. Anyone who's been to college knows this. This is relevant to the topic because (now pay attention here...) it explains why someone (Walden, to be specific) might not be suspicious about an admin grading papers.

Second, I have not attempted to "justify" what happened at UNC, nor have I called it an "honest mistake". Your characterizing my statements as such again displays your lack of comprehension. What I have done is pointed out that, according to the very thorough Wainstein investigation, this scandal happened because a professor and his admin decided to conduct lecture classes as independent studies, and to give passing grades to some students without grading their papers. This was not an honest mistake, and I never said it was (where in the world did you get that idea, anyway?). But it also was not a massive conspiracy by the athletic department and coaches, as many in the media and on this board would have us believe. The facts simply don't support that conclusion.

I am done responding to your nonsense.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Well the "fall out" may end up turning into to a tsunami... All because UNC's abuse of their "system" could end up being so egregious that it begins the dismantling of the NCAA.

Jay Smith and Mary Willingham (UNC staff, not mean old NC State fans) have a lot to say about how UNC cheated.

An academic scandal all right. Just so happens to be an academic scandal that exists for the sole purpose of propping up athletes. You should hear their perspective.

mediacdn.wral.com:1935/vods3/_definst_/mp4:amazons3/cbcnewmedia_wowza/156317-willingham-576x324-15-768.mp4/playlist.m3u8?wowzacaptionfile=amazons3/cbcnewmedia_wowza/156317-willingham.srt

I think the book may be worth a read.

Jay Smith and Mary Willingham Book, "Cheated" | Paper Class Inc

Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension (or lack thereof) ...
Your opinion of me isn't up for debate. But since you keep making part of the argument, then it means to me that you don't really have a real logical point to argue.

It's clear you are trying to minimize what happened as being insignificant but lack any logical arguments for doing so. This is why you keep getting tripped up on your own words.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
It does look like you are trying to put words in arby's mouth Waldo.

He was never making excuses for the scandal as a whole, just that there is no evidence that the athletic department was the one behind it. Yes Native_Son, it occurred because of athletics, but that doesn't mean the athletic department was actually committing any fraud, at least in the sense of this specific situation. Willingham's comments are mostly criticizing the fact that some of these athletes were admitted to the school begin with. That's where you can get into the argument that that "happens everywhere," which Willingham admitted (Willingham: Never wanted to be UNC whistleblower :: WRAL.com).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina