Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been hearing that North Carolina has one of the highest rates of gun violence in the nation.
WhY?

I can understand urban gun violence of the sort when people live on top of each other in over-crowded cities... but North Carolina has TONS of space. It's one of the greenest states in the union. Right now, the fall foliege is stunning.

And it's more than, "Durham" ....
(I kept hearing about how dangerous Durham was, so I asked a police dispatcher about it. She said it was a lot of hype ... real estate hype mostly. There was crime, but it's mostly "crimes of opportunity" ... like someone leaving something out where it can be stolen or picked up quickly.)

And the gun violence is statewide... so apparently it's cultural.
What is it about the culture that makes this such a gun happy state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 AM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
Any stats you can post?

I've lived in NC for 20 years and have never worried about "gun violence". I know there are cities with higher crime rates than others, Fayetteville for example, but I just don't think of NC as having a gun violence problem. Fwiw, I am FAR from being "pro guns".

Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 AM

401 posts, read 656,663 times
No its not,
Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also being the 10th largest in the US (possibly passing Michigan soon, Michigan is also 2x larger in mass)
As well as having open carry laws, gun violence is quite low, even lower then South Carolina.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM

363 posts, read 444,875 times
NC is fairly average as far as gun violence is concerned. Obviously I'd love to see it lowered. I wont comment on the politics, as it is very complicated and people far smarter than I debate it. I see both sides to the argument.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Recently I've been hearing that North Carolina has one of the highest rates of gun violence in the nation.
WhY?

And the gun violence is statewide... so apparently it's cultural.
What is it about the culture that makes this such a gun happy state?
Don't believe what you hear and check the sources.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
You think it is bad here? I watch the Greenville, SC news every night and there is always a killing or a body found, in Greenville/Spartenburg, to start off the news.

There is also crazy stuff like a Highway Patrolman shooting an unarmed man, man blowing his apartment and a couple more up while smoking with his oxygen tank running, etc.

The news is just crazy in Greenville.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
You've been "hearing"? Why not look for concrete data on that? From all the sources I can find NC is pretty near the middle of the pack on gun violence.

States with Weak Gun Laws and Higher Gun Ownership Lead Nation in Gun Deaths (06/18/2014)
Rates of gun deaths vary widely in U.S. - CBS News
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_03.pdf (9th page from the bottom)

Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 AM

363 posts, read 444,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You've been "hearing"? Why not look for concrete data on that? From all the sources I can find NC is pretty near the middle of the pack on gun violence.

States with Weak Gun Laws and Higher Gun Ownership Lead Nation in Gun Deaths (06/18/2014)
Rates of gun deaths vary widely in U.S. - CBS News
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_03.pdf (9th page from the bottom)
Well judging from the OP's other posts.. clearly someone with far left views.. so this post looks to be bait to talk about gun control.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
No its not,
Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also being the 10th largest in the US (possibly passing Michigan soon, Michigan is also 2x larger in mass)
As well as having open carry laws, gun violence is quite low, even lower then South Carolina.
I wouldn't say being #32 is low for Gun Murders (rate per 100,000 inhabitants) (2010).

But I also don't agree with OP thinking there is a lot of gun violence here. Maybe I am just used to it?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM

401 posts, read 656,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You think it is bad here? I watch the Greenville, SC news every night and there is always a killing or a body found, in Greenville/Spartenburg, to start off the news.

There is also crazy stuff like a Highway Patrolman shooting an unarmed man, man blowing his apartment and a couple more up while smoking with his oxygen tank running, etc.

The news is just crazy in Greenville.
woah, thats worst then Fayetteville, and Fayettevile has 4x as many people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina