Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I normally would vote for more choice but I feel like this is a smoke and mirrors choice. Juries can be terrible but honestly so can judges. We have a constitutional right to a trial by jury; I really see no benefit to a defendant in waiving that...you can't go in assuming your jury will be bad. But, if you're a minority in certain areas, I feel it might be safe to say your fate should not be left up to one person. And I could see coercion happening as well.
My concern is also coercion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,404,710 times
I would hope the accused would be taking advice from their lawyer(s) who should put a quick end to any kind of underhanded tactics of prosecutors. I'd imagine that most prosecutors would not want to risk an appeal or a verdict being tossed out because they behaved improperly.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,445,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I normally would vote for more choice but I feel like this is a smoke and mirrors choice. Juries can be terrible but honestly so can judges. We have a constitutional right to a trial by jury; I really see no benefit to a defendant in waiving that...you can't go in assuming your jury will be bad. But, if you're a minority in certain areas, I feel it might be safe to say your fate should not be left up to one person. And I could see coercion happening as well.
I agree! After reading the amendment several times, I could have sworn I smelled a "fishy odor" coming off the screen.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I agree! After reading the amendment several times, I could have sworn I smelled a "fishy odor" coming off the screen.
You too, Emissary?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
Tomorrow I am voting against mainly its the US constitution way and I been watching these side laws the last 4 years that will save the fracking industry from legigation and I see this could apply to them too if it passes.

Lets say and hope not a fracking fluid spill or improper disposal of the waste or even the new oil or the natural gas pipelines have a rupture which result in a lawsuit, and their lawyers request a bench trial and postpone the trial til a judge likely could rule in their favor. (This happen with me over traffic offenses in my 20's my attorney postpone my case til a judge who was more lenient.)
Traffic offense or property damage that trial by jury normally would be needed, are also in play if this amendment passes since it says all crime in the amendment.

The bottom line it states all criminal offenses and my be charge with something they are totally innocent of or guilty, the defendant has a right to trial by jury. This country was founded with this principle its stated in US Constitution.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-30-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,513,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There's no way I'd vote in favor of that.

Too easy for an unscrupulous judge or member of law enforcement to coerce a defendant into agreeing to waive their right to trial.

We already have the ability to simply plead guilty and shorten a trial. That's really all anyone needs.
A local news channel covered the proposed amendment earlier this week. I had no idea such an item was on the ballot.
........and I share the same feeling of your statement.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,513,947 times
Here's a link to the story:

Are You Ready To Change The NC Constitution?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,323,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
From the article:
Quote:
"Right now, North Carolina is the only state that does not let someone choose a non-jury trial."
I don't know about you, but that is pretty telling. North Carolina must be smarter than the other 49 states...

I like some of the comments on here.

"I don't see a benefit to waiving that" (forcing their beliefs on others)

"the defendant has a right to trial by jury" (not realizing that this isn't doing away with that right, rights can be used or not used, ie 'right to bear arms')

"I honestly didn't understand it" (I wonder how many this applies to)

"I'm not comfortable leaving someone's fate up to one person" (more imposing, and clearly has no idea how this amendment would work)

Sometimes I weep for America in my sleep.

IMO this thread is a great example of how this law could help someone's chances in getting a fair trial.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:59 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,404,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

IMO this thread is a great example of how this law could help someone's chances in getting a fair trial.
Best thing said in this topic.

Americans, especially modern day "progressive" thinkers, are the only people on the planet who gladly give up their rights to state control. i.e. they think "the state" knows whats best for you.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,547,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
From the article:

I don't know about you, but that is pretty telling. North Carolina must be smarter than the other 49 states...

I like some of the comments on here.

"I don't see a benefit to waiving that" (forcing their beliefs on others)

"the defendant has a right to trial by jury" (not realizing that this isn't doing away with that right, rights can be used or not used, ie 'right to bear arms')

"I honestly didn't understand it" (I wonder how many this applies to)

"I'm not comfortable leaving someone's fate up to one person" (more imposing, and clearly has no idea how this amendment would work)

Sometimes I weep for America in my sleep.

Your post is also a good example of what happens when an action is left to one person. You made an assumption and quoted a small part of our posts. Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina