Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM

27 posts, read 187,103 times

Advertisements

The only time I paid taxes on a car was when I bought one and registered it. There you have to pay when... at tax time when property taxes are due? Or when you register it every year? I guess they have car inspections too? I am just trying to get this straight. The sales tax seems low and property taxes are great except for right in Charlotte. Is it right that they take out 10% of your net pay for state tax or is it for state and fed that equals the 10%? I am not familiar with all these taxes and don't want that dreaded sticker shock after my first year there. I hope it will be worth it, but with every other thing here in Fl, you are always broke or in credit card debt. Gas here is 2.89 for reg and climbing and cable tv is close to $100 if you just have HBO. Our property taxes on a $140,000 home is $1600, electricity when the air is used (for 9 mos out of the year) is around $200. So when you hear theres no state tax here, yeah right!...just go to any of 4 highways near Orlando and you are paying tolls and they aren't cheap.
If anyone can explain the tax situation there in NC I'd like it alot (thats what I started out on and then I started to ramble on about FL), sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,924,302 times
Ranking of state tax rates from the U.S Census Bureau. The per capita tax rankings are in the right-hand column. Vermont has the highest taxes with South Dakota having the lowest. NC ranks right in the middle of all the states. Note: These figures do not include county and city taxes since they vary greatly within the state depending on the specific location.

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/05staxrank.html

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Governments Division
Created: March 29 2006
Last Revised: March 30 2006

Last edited by mm34b; 04-12-2006 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Governments Division
Created: March 29 2006
Last Revised: March 30 2006

http://www.infozine.com/news/images/articles/06/04/sl_state_tax.gif (broken link)

Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,152 times
Default I hear ya

I'm in South Florida now and not for long. Whatever taxes are in NC won't even come close to what I'll be looking at paying if I stay here. Probably about $8000 in property taxes and $3000 in insurance. And this is on a very moderate home since you can't find anything here for under $300,000. NC here we come!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizette810
I'm in South Florida now and not for long. Whatever taxes are in NC won't even come close to what I'll be looking at paying if I stay here. Probably about $8000 in property taxes and $3000 in insurance. And this is on a very moderate home since you can't find anything here for under $300,000. NC here we come!
Property and other county/local tax rates vary by the location within the state. Be sure you check them before settling on a specific location. Some big differences just by choosing an adjacent county. You'll probably get much more house and land for your money too. If you are not tied down by employment needs, you can stay away from the higher taxes around the larger metro area such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. Believe it or not, there are still many areas especially in the mountain region that have not been discovered by the transplants. Value still reigns.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:48 PM

20 posts, read 46,800 times
I'm with you Lizzette! My home here in Miami which I only bought 3 yrs ago for 220K has been appraised at 450k. This is also the avg price in my neighborhood. I cannot afford to move even if I want to because this price is considered cheap in Miami for the neighborhood that I am in. I was born & raised in Miami & I can't wait to leave!! Have been researching NC for a few months now- basically since this past hurricane season, which was the icing on the cake for me in my decision to move. I am only waiting because I went back to college & dont finish till 2007. I'm looking to find land that I can buy now & be paying on till I'm ready to go & then build. Does anyone have any ideas on great areas? I would like 1 or maybe 2 acres in a nice area with good schools, access to shopping, restaurants, and a great family environment without the stresses of Miami. Is this asking too much? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am currently thinking the outskirts of Raleigh because I want to feel like I'm in the country without leaving the city far behind. Thanks for any advice you guys!!

Last edited by brimin2; 04-13-2006 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-14-2006, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 11,152 times
Default I'm going up next week

I also was born and raised in Miami and, just like you, decided to leave in October after the hurricane mess. We are going to check out a small town called Burlington with is between the Triangle area and the Triad. Homes can be had for under $200k with a nice amount of land. We picked Burlington because there is a very good Catholic school there and it sounds nice from afar. We'll know better next week.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 PM

110 posts, read 167,049 times
Default $140,000 home in Orlando???

Angelbee, You must be kidding!! Right!!! You have a home in Orlando for $140,000??? When was that appraised??? 10 years ago??? (I beginning to think you can't get a home here for less than $400,000) hahahahhaha Compared to the amount you will pay in sales tax, property tax, power (which just doubled for the state of Fl), water, etc... you will save so much. Don't be too surprised though, I just got back to Orlando from Raleigh and the price of gasoline is the same. (The traffic is SO much better there though.) You can get you car inspected probably at the same place you get your oil changed for about $25.00. Oh... by the way... for your car here in Fl, you pay taxes every year to the county tax collector in order to get that cute little yellow sticker on the upper right hand corner of your license plate. Cable TV is about the same everywhere you go in this country. I have to admit... if you are in Orlando and are only paying $1600 in property taxes, I have to wonder if you are living in a chicken coop (I'm just kidding with you).... I can't imagine where you could be possibly be where the taxes are so cheap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina