Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 PM

120 posts, read 229,011 times

Advertisements

I would absolutely recommend visiting Asheville and Charlotte first too. They are very different from each other in my opinion. Charlotte feels like a small and clean Atlanta if you happen to be at all familiar with Atlanta. I love Atlanta... and Charlotte and would really enjoy living there. Charlotte has a lot going for it and if I was thinking of starting a family, looking for a place to settle down for a while and was looking into Asheville or Charlotte (just in general), I would probably choose Charlotte.

However..

Asheville is a BEAUTIFUL city that has a very interesting and unique feel to it. I think its unlike any other. I LOVE to visit Asheville but don't know how I would enjoy 'settling down' there. If i was offered similarly desirable jobs in both Charlotte and Ashville with equal pay I would likely choose Asheville. I don't know how long I would be able to live there before going somewhere like Charlotte but I think I would have to give it a shot first.

I might look into Richmond, VA too. I lived there for a while and loved it. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM

33 posts, read 86,036 times
Default How about Mint Hill?

I live in a little area just outside of Charlotte called Mint Hill. It's quiet enough to feel just tucked away, but you're actually only a small drive away from several Charlotte area attractions. I just sent you a private message about the area!

Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I think Greenville, SC would be a better option for you guys. It has the charms of downtown Asheville (minus the hippie element) with a more robust, well-rounded economy similar to Charlotte. It's not far from either city also.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Both Charlotte and Greenville are hot, humid and buggy during the Summer which can start in late April (as in 90F). Charlotte has it all and I would pick Charlotte over Greenville for a number of reasons including air travel, shopping, jobs, etc.

Asheville is cooler by 6-9 degrees F and 90's are rare. IMO, Buncombe and Henderson Counties are becoming a top spot for new retirees and are already a top spot for Floridians with second homes. Jobs are fewer in the area also and there really is not much shopping in the two counties.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Both Charlotte and Greenville are hot, humid and buggy during the Summer which can start in late April (as in 90F). Charlotte has it all and I would pick Charlotte over Greenville for a number of reasons including air travel, shopping, jobs, etc.

Asheville is cooler by 6-9 degrees F and 90's are rare. IMO, Buncombe and Henderson Counties are becoming a top spot for new retirees and are already a top spot for Floridians with second homes. Jobs are fewer in the area also and there really is not much shopping in the two counties.
I think you missed this part of the OP's post: We are looking for more of a low key area but an area that still has great restaurants and options to go out. We are seeking a less stressful/populated/competitive environment that we will hopefully start our family in.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I live 30 miles west of Charlotte, on the western edge of the metro. I would suggest that you post threads on the Charlotte board & the western NC board & ask questions geared to each area.

I've said it before & will say it again to people from the NYC metro. Spend a long weekend in South Jersey. If you hate it there, scrap the idea. If you're OK with South Jersey, plan a trip to NC & check out the areas that you are interested in.
South jersey is nothing like Charlotte or Asheville. I have lived in all three areas you mention. I understand if you mean it just as a smaller area, south jersey is closer to a place like myrtle beach, Charlotte is more corporate city and national chains and Asheville is more old local artsy city. South jersey is filled with tiny townships that are packed in the summer and dead in the winter.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
South jersey is nothing like Charlotte or Asheville. I have lived in all three areas you mention. I understand if you mean it just as a smaller area, south jersey is closer to a place like myrtle beach, Charlotte is more corporate city and national chains and Asheville is more old local artsy city. South jersey is filled with tiny townships that are packed in the summer and dead in the winter.
Well south Jersey is a little of everything, from Camden to Atlantic City to Vineland to Cherry Hill. But the Cherry Hill/Marlton area is the only one that puts me in the mind of (suburban) Charlotte.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:00 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Are those your only 2 choices? I would throw Chapel Hill/Carrboro in the mix..Chapel Hill is basically a safer, better educated Asheville without the mountains. Close to Durham (about 15-20 mins) and close enough to Raleigh (about 30-35 mins). Very clean, very safe, very walkable, lots of cool places to hang out with live music, bars, arcades, craft beer, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina