Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for your time and advise. My question relates to what city(s) would be best suited to relocate my family to.

Here is some background. I am looking for a young family friendly neighborhood with good schools that has the following:
Outdoor activities
Near a lake or ocean
High population
Good shopping/restaurants

Hope this is enough to go on. Thanks again for any inside information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSargent View Post
Outdoor activities
Near a lake or ocean
High population

It's not really enough to go on, as I think it more important to concentrate on where the best job opportunities are for you.

Bur my first thought is to recommend Charlotte. It has several lakes, and it not hard to find outdoor recreation. It is the largest city in Charlotte with an abundance of good suburbs. Please do some reading in the Charlotte sub-forum, and see if you would like it.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It is the largest city in Charlotte with an abundance of good suburbs.
I think it's supposed to read: It is the largest city in NC....

In addition to Charlotte, most any of the larger cities in NC would probably work for you.

Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham

All have nearby lakes and plenty of outdoor recreation (that's in plentiful supply all across NC). There are some good schools within any larger school district. And all have plentiful suburbs with family friendly neighborhoods, shopping, etc.

The best city on the coast (ocean) is Wilmington.

I agree with Goldenage1; your search should be predicated on where the best job opportunities are located. Your criteria really is pretty generic. Until you can be more specific or narrow your search, it will be difficult to give you meaningful "inside" information.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM

129 posts, read 186,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSargent View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for your time and advise. My question relates to what city(s) would be best suited to relocate my family to.

Here is some background. I am looking for a young family friendly neighborhood with good schools that has the following:
Outdoor activities
Near a lake or ocean
High population

Raleigh has numerous lakes and a fantastic parks and rec system, as well as Umstead State Park, which is one of the largest urban forests in the US; and on top of that we're almost exactly halfway between the state's beautiful beaches and mountains.

It's the second most populated but also the densest city in the state with a population of 431,746 in 2013 and a density of just over 3,000 people/sq mi. The Raleigh-Durham metro has a population of just over 2,000,000; and there are plenty of nice energetic neighborhoods for young families.

The shopping is pretty much on par with Charlotte, though they might have a few more high end chains (such as Dean & Deluca.) But I would go out on a limb and say that the restaurant scene in Raleigh and Durham (which consistently has made high marks on lists of the best food scenes in the South) is better than that of Charlotte.

The Wake County Public School system is the largest system in the state, and it's also the best outside of the tiny Chapel Hill-Carrboro School System (which is also in Raleigh-Durham.) If schools are the top priority I would recommend living in Chapel Hill (but make sure you're actually within the CH-Carrboro system, the districting is a bit complex) or Cary. (even though Cary and Raleigh are both part of the same system (Wake County), Cary's schools usually rank a bit better than Raleigh's.)

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM

401 posts, read 656,947 times
Fayetteville-
With lots of businesses and a high density,
Cheap housing, decent schools, and close to the Cape Fear River. As of January 2013, Fayetteville had 204,408 people, making it the 6th largest in the state and about 1400 people per square mile, and a 2012 metropolitan of 400,000, Fayetteville is perfect for what you want in a city. The all american city comes with great opportunities for the outdoors, including lots of museums, and ton of movie theaters, community pools, also 20 mins from a decent water park. With the average house only costing $92,000 and with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, finding the perfect affordable house should be easy. Despite the high crime, Fayetteveille is perfect. Fayetteville is also 1 hour away from Raleigh (the capital) and 1 hour 36 mins from Wilmington Beach, also 45 mins from South Carolina, its in a pretty decent location with Cumberland County Schools having the 4th largest school system in the state and one of the largest in the United States.

Another idea is Charlotte,
Being the largest city in the Carolinas, 16th largest in the US, and the most major tourist attraction in the Carolinas, theres plenty to do (passing Myrtle Beach), including view the tall skyscrapers, eat the extremely expensive food, and stay at a exremely nice hotel, you'll be treated with modern hospitality. Charlotte also has very nice apartments, but they sell quick! Also enjoy the Carolina Panthers and Charlotte Hornets, as well as other sport teams. At the border of South Carolina, it also has a large metropolitan. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system is decent depending on where you live, also the 2nd largest school system in the state behind Wake County. As of January 2013, Charlotte had 792,862 people, with 2,663.2 people per square mile.

Last edited by Jimmysmile; 10-31-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 PM

129 posts, read 186,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Fayetteville!
Ha.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
I just came in here to laugh at the Fayetteville suggestion, too. Don't move there.

But just to put in my own opinion, Durham sounds good for you. It's pretty hipster-ish, and there is plenty to do here. Right next door to Raleigh, so it's a pretty urban/built up region. Durham has tons of good restaurants and has made a few "best food city" lists or whatevs. The Streets at Southpoint (mall) is massive and has plenty of awesom restaurants and stores...has an Apple store AND a Microsoft store!! As well as a Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen <3 Pretty cool burger/wine bar there too. Falls Lake is nearby for all your laking needs. Granted, I've only lived here for a short while but I absolutely love it.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
I recommend the Lake Norman area just North of Charlotte.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
I also recommend Lake Norman near Charlotte. You have access to the large city amenities of Uptown Charlotte, quality neighborhoods in Huntersville, Mooresville, etc, and also a large recreational waterfront at Lake Norman.

Don't move to Fayetteville.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM

401 posts, read 656,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I just came in here to laugh at the Fayetteville suggestion, too. Don't move there.

But just to put in my own opinion, Durham sounds good for you. It's pretty hipster-ish, and there is plenty to do here. Right next door to Raleigh, so it's a pretty urban/built up region. Durham has tons of good restaurants and has made a few "best food city" lists or whatevs. The Streets at Southpoint (mall) is massive and has plenty of awesom restaurants and stores...has an Apple store AND a Microsoft store!! As well as a Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen <3 Pretty cool burger/wine bar there too. Falls Lake is nearby for all your laking needs. Granted, I've only lived here for a short while but I absolutely love it.
Fayetteville is better then Durham!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina