Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times

Advertisements

My vote is Winston-Salem. One of the best cities in North Carolina. Greensboro is a nice place too. They have a good airport and near the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:57 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Fayetteville isn't on Winston and Durham's level, but as I have said in other post it isn't no where near as bad as people say it is. To me, a better fit for this argument would be Durham vs Winston vs Greensboro. I like all three(Durham, Winston, and Greensboro) but my vote is for Durham.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 PM

111 posts, read 143,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Well, "much lower unemployment rate then Greensboro"
I would have to disagree. I lived in the Fayetteville area and Greensboro. Its hard to find a job in Fayetteville. You have be affiliated with the military to get a good paying job. I work with veterans that receive a honorable discharge from the military and its hard for them to find a job too. The only other jobs are with the county, city, school system, Department of VA, and the hospital. The county, city, hospital (except for a doctor), and school system doesn't pay much.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:11 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Fayetteville unemployment rate: 5.6% (Feb 2014)
Greensboro unemployment rate: 6.3% (Mar 2014)

Keep in mind that you have a larger population of college students who either don't work or only work part time in Greensboro.
Fayetteville has Methodist College and Fayetteville State University.
Greensboro has North Carolina A&T State University, UNC Greensboro, Greensboro College, Guilford College, Bennett College and Elon Law School. A good chunk of the population are students. A good chunk of Fayetteville is Military.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:46 AM

65 posts, read 103,286 times
Jimmy: I would say it depends what your looking for. I live in Florida and trying to come back up north and I have driven thru Fayetteville a number of times. Isn't it all military pretty much? Durham is great for research etc, I do like Raleigh/Durham, it has a good reputation, I don't know much about Winston Salem and was just looking into it a little bit.

Do you know anything about Ashville NC? I wonder how that area is. Thanks for all your posts.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Hahahahaha lot of Fayetteville boosting earlier upthread!

Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM

110 posts, read 124,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
I'd direct anyone who wants a moderate city to go to Fayetteville. Considering more people work at the Duke hospital then people work at Fort Bragg, there's no such thing as a "large annexation" when it comes to Fayetteville.
About 28,000 people work for Duke vs. 15,500 people who work for Fort Bragg.

Fun Facts about Fayetteville-

1. It has one of the best retail markets in the country
2. Fayetteville has over 208,000 people (2014), which is a 4,000 people boost since January which isn't half bad.
3. Fayetteville is the 6th largest city in the Carolinas
4. Fayetteville has the 4th large metropolitan in North Carolina
5. Fort Bragg is Fayetteville's 2nd largest employer
6. Cumberland County Board of Education is Fayetteville's largest employer
7. Cumberland County Sheriff Department is probably the largest Sheriff Department in the state
8. There is a AT&T call center in Fayetteville
9. There was a 30 story skyscraper proposed in Fayetteville
10. Fayetteville has a better economy then Greensboro.
11. Fayetteville is a great place to live, work, and raise a family according to the police department (seems legit)

Proof for #'s 1,2,3,4,5 and 6-
Fayetteville Wants YOU: QUICK FACTS

Proof for #7-
Well, if you ever see TWC news you'd see-
Most crimes are solved by CCSO they have a very large number of detectives
Commercial advertisements for sheriff's
It has numerous stations around Cumberland County
It has a helicopter and SWAT team
This CCSO hq looks about the same size as the Durham County justice center
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...930a1a!6m1!1e1
Proof for #8
Call Center Jobs, Employment in Fayetteville, NC | Indeed.com
Proof for #9-
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Proof for #10-
Let me google that for you
Let me google that for you

Proof for #11.
http://www.bethebadge.com/recruitment.aspx

I didn't even know some of this stuff lol.
5. Not even the Fay gov. Likes this. Because when the military down size, so does the economy.

9. Building a thirty stories building when the average height is 2 stories is bad news. I rather see 6 5 stories buildings.

2. When you have only two major supermarket chains to choose from (Food Lion and later Walmart), how is that a good thing?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 AM

110 posts, read 124,573 times
I read every single post. But few talked about shopping and non talked about public transportation.

I do no know Winston-Salem, but I do know about Durham (1 year) and Fayetteville (10 years).

Durham offer much better shopping options (food, electronics, clothes, ect.). It has much better walkable neighborhoods. It is easier to reach the better places by foot.

There are two main grocery stores in FAY: Food Lion and Walmart. Back in 2008 it was only Food Lion. If you ever shopped in Food Lion, you will know that is bad.

Food Lion concept is base on price. It is also base on the basic concept of buying food. That's good if you don't value variety, but some times I do.

For instance, I rarely find Ginger in Food Lion.

Also, I was able to shop at Lowes foods, Kroger, Target, Compare Foods, which do not exist in Fayetteville. This was 2008.

There transportation was much better. I could get a bus in 45 minutes. So I can do without a Car in certain places. This was much better than the hour that Fayetteville bus system ran. They have made major improvements since than.

To summarize. Fayetteville is at least 5 years behind Durham. It just got a new transportation center for it bus system, which is 3 blocks from Amtrak. Durham got there's in 2009, across the street from Amtrak. There is a pot of land that sat empty for years, right next to the Fayetteville Amtrak station. But they want to build a stadium there. They do not want the poor people that close to their precious hotel.

Just all around bad decision making and misguided views.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Fayetteville will never have Durham's major advantages which are Duke and its status as a principal city of the Triangle.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Fayetteville will never have Durham's major advantages which are Duke and its status as a principal city of the Triangle.
Yep, it's got one of the biggest military bases in the country instead, THE biggest depending on how you measure it. Definitely gives a different flavor to the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina