Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:12 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The two highly gerrymandered districts, District 1 & District 12, were court ordered to ensure that a representative is elected from the Black race. It doesn't matter if they are Republican or a Democrat, they just have to be Black. Both of these districts are on the 10 most gerrymandered districts in the USA through no fault of the elected representatives of this state.

This interference makes a mess of the state and thus it results in oddball districts that remain.

Of the 11 other districts that NC is allowed to create by its elected representatives, I do agree the political party in charge will draw the lines to favor their party. Both parties are guilty of it.
Generally speaking; gerrymandering is perpetrated by Republicans much more than Democrats; mostly by virtue of demographics/population density patterns.

Republicans tend to dominate in rural areas; democrats tend to dominate urban areas. The land area of rural areas is much larger than that of urban areas which while representing fairly equal portions of the population in NC; take up a small percentage of the land area that is divided into districts.

When republicans draw districts; it is much easier for them to gerrymander the isolated democratic pockets into geographic regions that make no sense spatially, They can connect two or three pockets of democratic voters into 1 district when if the map were split into into spacial land areas merely accounted for the total population within a certain radius of one focal point; those 2 or 3 areas would put more democratic voters into the mix of more districts.

This doesn't mean that democrats wouldn't do the same thing if the circumstances were flipped; but again, generally speaking, Republicans are far more guilty of gerrymandering districts than Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:04 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Generally speaking; gerrymandering is perpetrated by Republicans much more than Democrats; ....
Nonsense.

You have fallen into the trap of thinking there is any relevant significant difference between the two major political parties. There isn't. Beyond a few wedge issues, they are exactly alike.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Nonsense.

You have fallen into the trap of thinking there is any relevant significant difference between the two major political parties. There isn't. Beyond a few wedge issues, they are exactly alike.
You clearly did't read through my whole post and just decided to fly off the handle...

Gerrymandering is absolutely done more my Republicans than by Democrats for the reasons I explained above. The point is not to say that Republicans are necessarily more inclined to tip the scales in their favor through gerrymandering (or any other way for that matter)...but that in the case of gerrymandering; it is easier for them to do than it is for Democrats.

If you search for examples of gerrymandered districts for the USHOR you'll find the overwhelming majority of them have been made by Republicans. It is a complete myth that both sides do it equally.

Not that Democrats wouldn't do the same thing if they had the opportunity.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
You clearly did't read through my whole post and just decided to fly off the handle....
"Gerrymandering is absolutely done more my Republicans than by Democrats
Opinion give as fact and used to justifiy a point, is no matter how hard you try, still an opinion. You are certainly welcome to it, just as I am free to state that I think it's nonsense.

Now if you really want to prove this, then supply some real data from government sources (not opinion articles) that does "clearly" show what you mean. Then we might have something.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
"Gerrymandering is absolutely done more my Republicans than by Democrats
Opinion give as fact and used to justifiy a point, is no matter how hard you try, still an opinion. You are certainly welcome to it, just as I am free to state that I think it's nonsense.

Now if you really want to prove this, then supply some real data from government sources (not opinion articles) that does "clearly" show what you mean. Then we might have something.
You think the government tracks which districts they gerrymander?

You aren't thinking through it and that is the reason that you gloss over the explanation I've given.

It is a fact that most of the gerrymandered districts have been made by republicans when they control a state's legislature.

Let's take a look at our home state if you want facts; especially considering this is a thread and forum specific to NC...

Take note of the obviously gerrymandered districts;12 (considered the most heavily gerrymandered district in the whole country), 1, and 4. They are all stretched out to encompass democratic voters into single districts to dilute their potential to elect more democrats into the state and federal house. If district 12 were evenly distributed it would mean democrats would have more votes in districts 5, 6, and 8; all of which are reliably republican as it is now. District 12 can be counted on to send 1 democrat to the house while 5, 6, and 8 will almost certainly send a republican. Had gerrymandering not taken place and 12 were distributed between 5, 6, and 8; all 3 would be more competitive. District 4 is set up the same way with the same motive.

In most of America; that is the way that voting patterns and population density work to favor Republicans in states where congressional districts have been gerrymandered.

You don't generally have small pockets of high-population density areas with reliably republican voters; thus democrats can't "cut out" smaller meandering congressional districts to "isolate" republicans. I don't see why that is such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

It is not my opinion, it is a fact.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 12-27-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Take note of the obviously gerrymandered districts;12 (considered the most heavily gerrymandered district in the whole country), 1,
Read this One more time.

You are cutting and pasting someone else's work. i.e. Buying into Democratic party dogma. You are only proving what I already said.

District 12 & district 1 were court ordered to insure that a representative is elected from the Black race. Not to elect a democrat as you and your source incorrectly state. The court case is there for you to read if you doubt it.

You failed to prove your point.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

You aren't thinking through it and that is the reason that you gloss over the explanation I've given.

It is a fact that most of the gerrymandered districts have been made by republicans when they control a state's legislature.

Let's take a look at our home state if you want facts; especially considering this is a thread and forum specific to NC...

Take note of the obviously gerrymandered districts;12 (considered the most heavily gerrymandered district in the whole country), 1, and 4. They are all stretched out to encompass democratic voters into single districts to dilute their potential to elect more democrats into the state and federal house. If district 12 were evenly distributed it would mean democrats would have more votes in districts 5, 6, and 8; all of which are reliably republican as it is now. District 12 can be counted on to send 1 democrat to the house while 5, 6, and 8 will almost certainly send a republican. Had gerrymandering not taken place and 12 were distributed between 5, 6, and 8; all 3 would be more competitive. District 4 is set up the same way with the same motive.

In most of America; that is the way that voting patterns and population density work to favor Republicans in states where congressional districts have been gerrymandered.

You don't generally have small pockets of high-population density areas with reliably republican voters; thus democrats can't "cut out" smaller meandering congressional districts to "isolate" republicans. I don't see why that is such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Don't forget that they added Asheville to district 10

Old 12-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't forget that they added Asheville to district 10
Indeed.

I find it hilarious that Waldo is convinced I'm finding this information on democratic strategy websites or something. I found the congressionl district map with a simple google search of "north carolina's congressional districts"....and the map pretty much speaks for itself. My explanation of the reason Republicans tend to gerrymander districts more than Democrats do?....learned that back in high school in 10th grade Civics.....taught by one of the teacher advisers of my high schools Young Republicans club!

Yes..democrats Gerrymander too; especially in the northeast. However; the majority of gerrymandered districts were created by republicans.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 12-27-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 12:47 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Indeed.

I find it hilarious that Waldo is convinced I'm finding this information on democratic strategy websites or something. I found the congressionl district map with a simple google search of "north carolina's congressional districts"....and the map pretty much speaks for itself. My explanation of the reason Republicans tend to gerrymander districts more than Democrats do?....learned that back in high school in 10th grade Civics.....taught by one of the teacher advisers of my high schools Young Republicans club!

Yes..democrats Gerrymander too; especially in the northeast. However; the majority of gerrymandered districts were created by republicans.
It's my lot in life to live in gerrymandered districts.

Yeah, plopping Asheville into district 10 is so obvious, especially because of the little portion of Catawba County that isn't in district 10.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:18 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,116 times
Quote:

There is no reason for a county in the Triangle (Johnston) be in the same district as a county that borders the ocean and South Carolina (Brunswick).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina