U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 PM

68 posts, read 185,068 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating from NJ to NC (Charlotte area). I am trying to get all the facts, so while I've heard several positives, I want to be fully informed...both good and bad.

Are there any people who have relocated (especially those from NY and NJ) and regretted it? If so, why? What aspects of NC were or are you unhappy with? I just don't want to relocate and then regret it, so I want to hear all perspectives!
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM

61 posts, read 228,437 times
No regrets on our move. I moved to the Greensboro area and have been here for a little over a year now. I enjoy living comfortably off a salary that I could not do in NJ. I transferred with my job and took no cut in pay. My wife found a job with a pharmaceutical company and works from home. The only thing we miss is family, but it is only an 8 hour ride away. After visiting NJ, I always look forward to returning south to get away from the "rat race".

Hope this helps you.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,794,770 times
We relocated in 1998...I can even imagine going back to NY. It's such a great place to raise a family. And we don't have to kill ourselves trying to make ends meet

Old 11-03-2006, 06:01 AM

9 posts, read 30,094 times
Talking No regrets from NJ to NC

It has been a year that we made the move. We sold a 2000 sq ft for 350,000 w/ no acreage last August in NJ and bought a 2500 for under 200,000 w/more acreage. We love it here. The pace is slower, the people (for the most part) are friendlier and take the time to talk!!! The rat race is over and my husband, son and myself are finding a ton more time to spend together!! In the last year we have traveled to many places and always had company. In NJ it just wasn't possible. Taxes there were 6500., here we are paying 908.00 what a difference!!! Move here and feel like your on vacation all the time!! We do!!
Just do it!!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 AM

107 posts, read 340,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
I am considering relocating from NJ to NC (Charlotte area). I am trying to get all the facts, so while I've heard several positives, I want to be fully informed...both good and bad.

Are there any people who have relocated (especially those from NY and NJ) and regretted it? If so, why? What aspects of NC were or are you unhappy with? I just don't want to relocate and then regret it, so I want to hear all perspectives!
Thanks!!
We moved in July and the only one negative thing that I have to say is that I am having a really hard time with the special education system here. You have to put the heat on to get things done for your children in my elementary school. I dont miss New york itself, but I miss everyone I left. But I truly love everything else about North Carolina and we made good friends here already.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM

457 posts, read 1,288,867 times
I recently received a job offer in the Hickory area, will choose to live in the Charlotte/Huntersville/Mooresville area and commute. I previously relocated to Greensboro from NJ a couple of years ago, and unfortunately, had to to return to Jersey. My short time in greensboro was a very good experience, the people are very nice, I find customer service is much better too. Cnnot beat the weather, except for an occassional ice-storm. Love the pace, lack of "real" traffic, and the cost of real estate is excellent compared to the Northeast....Hope this helps, good luck to you...

Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,636,793 times
I regret moving to NC from NY; but I'm from upstate ny so I don't think it is the same situation. NC is a nice state; but after a few years it kind of just becomes "normal" to you. I'm not necessarily saying you will be disspointed; but you deffinitely won't be feeling like you are "on vacation every day" too long afer moving here. (unless you are talking about a resort area in the beach or mountains or something like that).

Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,850,162 times
Commute from Hickory to Huntersville? You are looking at a 60-70 mile drive one way. Depending on the time of day, it can really affect the time of travel. Why not live in Hickory or close to it?

Oh yeah, the comment about the "lack of real traffic?" Where exactly are you at? Anyone who travels on Hwy 150 thru Mooresville or Hwy 73 thru Huntersville, or thru Cornelius can tell you about the traffic

Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 PM

483 posts, read 1,495,823 times
Coming from NY (Long Island, but grew up in Queens), the only thing that I really miss are my family and friends. Particular stores (like Italian deli's or butchers) is something you can do without, so family and friends is something that you will think about from time to time if and when you do move and get settled into NC. My family and I have been here for approximately 6 weeks and we love it, with no regrets. You will see that at least 90% say that they are happy after having moved here so don't let the other 10% discourage you. You need to make a trip down here to really get a feel of what your surroundings would be if you moved. Go to the stores, talk to people, drive around different areas. Our first intent was to move to the Raleigh area (Holly Springs) and we absolutely loved it. When my husband told me that we had to consider Charlotte because of his job opportunities, I was kicking and screaming about it. The thought of having to explore another area scared the heck out of me. I felt I was in my comfort zone when we visited Holly Springs and I was afraid that I wasn't going to get the same feeling in Charlotte, but I did. So you have to make a trip down and be open-minded. Don't expect to see and have everything that you had up north. Only you will know whether or not you feel 'comfortable' when you are down here, no matter how many positive or negative comments you read on this forum. I wish you the best of luck. Don't expect it to be an easy decision because it's not; there's a lot to consider. So do as much research as you can. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 AM

68 posts, read 185,068 times
Thanks for all the replies. I agree about the research...I am doing a lot of it and look forward to my first scouting trip!

Good luck all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina