Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM

444 posts, read 577,743 times

Advertisements

out and about in town? I was the only person wearing shorts and a t-shirt when it was 68 degrees the weekend before last. my gf from VA say I have the northeast look, but I think it is because I have Italian features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM

120 posts, read 227,832 times
I think its crazy to think that you can point out someone who isn't from the area. I don't know why you were the only one wearing shorts and a t-shirt at 68 unless it was going to get much colder than that... If you talk like you're from Inner-Boston, then yes, someone might point out that you arn't from here. If you are wearing hawaiian style shirts, then someone might think you arn't from here... i'm not sure.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
I know plenty of people who are native NC-ers who wear shorts in chilly weather and am even related to some who were wearing shorts yesterday (high 51ºF). I imagine I could spot you as a transplant after talking to you for a minute, but doubt I could just by looking at you unless you're decked out in NY Jets or Philly Eagles or NE Patriots garb or something.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
There are several things that can indicate someone who's not from here, but I would not say wearing shorts when it's 68 is one of them. 38, yes.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,396,360 times
It's been my observation that men who wear shorts in cold weather, though 68 isn't cold, do it because they have gotten too fat for pants.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
No, not really Waldo. You should see all the young guys on the college campuses in shorts in all kinds of weather. I know lots of very fit men, though few women, who wear short throughout the winter in NC. Lots of men and women, too, run in shorts all year round. I don't see a lot of heavy men in my corner of the Triangle, anyway. Chapel Hill is generally a very fit community.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,288,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
out and about in town? I was the only person wearing shorts and a t-shirt when it was 68 degrees the weekend before last. my gf from VA say I have the northeast look, but I think it is because I have Italian features.
The natives do, in my opinion, have some particular features in common which makes it easy for me to spot them either out of place (at airports I can usually pick out who is going to get in the RDU/CLT boarding line) or to spot transplants in NC.

In terms of dress, it seems to me the NC native prefers a very "vanilla" appearance. Khaki shorts, polo shirts (many times in pastel as if it were the thirty years ago). The women like large floral patterns.

Genetically, they have that Scotch Irish look about them. Many Northerners have the Italian/Eastern European look. (especially N. NJ)

In public places their demeanor is more quiet and their movement slow, whereas the Northerner moves with rapidity and speaks with their voice raised regardless.

The Southerner is more polite, but there is a social glass ceiling of sorts if you are an outsider. Once you get past the brusque exterior of the Northerner, I find them easier to befriend. As employees, I did find Northerners to have a stronger work ethic (generally) with the working class having a sense of pride in his work.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,288,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, not really Waldo. You should see all the young guys on the college campuses in shorts in all kinds of weather. I know lots of very fit men, though few women, who wear short throughout the winter in NC. Lots of men and women, too, run in shorts all year round. I don't see a lot of heavy men in my corner of the Triangle, anyway. Chapel Hill is generally a very fit community.
He clearly isn't referring to joggers... You must at least admit he has a valid point that overweight people (who are more numerous in *certain* areas) tend to feel hot year round..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,974,488 times
The surefire tipoff is when they complain about the pizza.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,396,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
LOL, I'd imagine that you don't see many of hefty ones participating in real exercise. There are a lot of fat young ones these days. Even at Chapel Hill.

My neighbor's kid, a transplant Italian family, goes to UNC and he must be hitting the 250-275 pounder mark. I haven't seen him in pants in a very long time though he & his mom believes he is fit. Too much red meat, starch, fat, not enough beans, greens, fish, fresh vegetables in that diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina