Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Diamler-Benz Trucks (back in the Diamler Chyrsler days) was HQ'd in the Charlotte area when it existed. Diamler (owns Mercedes-Benz) has a Freightliner truck factory in Gastonia, NC and another factory in Gaffney, SC. Both are in the Charlotte area. i.e. The Germans are very familiar with Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Freightliner in Cleveland NC ( Rowan County). Rt 70 between Salisbury and Stateville. 4 lanes and easy access to both 77 & 85 with a freight line running behind the plant. They have a great footprint in NC.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I'm betting they have all intentions of staying in Jersey and are just trying to milk the state for incentives.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I wouldn't mind splitting it Charlotte/Triad like we did with the Triangle and the MetLife deal.

In Charlotte, we have the new Multi-modal facility at the airport, direct flights to Munich & Frankfurt, Diamler already has a presence in 3 Metrolina towns (Gastonia, Mount Holly, Fort Mill) and we have lots of different office spaces. Several high profile speculative uptown offices being built, speculative Ballantyne, University, Airport/Tyvola area, speculative in South Park. Mecklenburg and Charlotte both also can sweeten any state incentives package and our developers here would throw a huge bone to any high profile tenant.

(I'm not saying Greensboro doesn't have it's advantages. I only know ours)

This would be big for any city who gets it.
Greensboro seems to be a power house when it comes to landing big time Manufacturing head quarters, Honda jets state of the art facility is proof of that, Charlotte (To me) is more financial than Industrial/manufacture, Greensboro just seems to be all about Manufacturing/logistics, which has really been moving it forward(quite quickly now)

Every city has it's own "thing"

But yes, a deal such as this would be good for any city.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I heard on the news Atlanta was a done deal, executives already have packages to relocate to ATL and an announcement could be made Jan 6th.

BMW has been rumored to be looking at CLT and is expected to move its HQ within 5 years

Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Mercedes could be pulling Jersey strings for a billion dollars
I think that you may have hit the nail on the head.

But there is still a decent chance that MB is willing to move. I don't think that they will move much as far as Manufacturing (although it certainly wouldn't hurt,) so I think that Charlotte and the Triangle have the best shots at landing the Continental HQ.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
While the Triad hasn't been specifically mentioned as a potential site, I think the region would also make a great fit for Mercedes Benz Headquarters. The media did report "several" cities in NC are under consideration. Guilford County has the headquarters of Volvo Trucks of North America, Mack Trucks, Thomas Built Buses, Daimler Buses of North America and the world headquarters of Honda Aircraft Company so it wouldn't be a far stretch for the Triad to be home to Mercedes Benz of North America. There is already a cluster of automotive headquarters in the Greensboro/High Point area. But my guess is that They will either choose Atlanta or stay where they are located. Remember Boeing?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:24 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Greensboro seems to be a power house when it comes to landing big time Manufacturing head quarters, Honda jets state of the art facility is proof of that, Charlotte (To me) is more financial than Industrial/manufacture, Greensboro just seems to be all about Manufacturing/logistics, which has really been moving it forward(quite quickly now).
Didn't Hondajet fail?

The Charlotte metro has more jobs working in manufacturing than in the financial sector. Approximately 70,000 of those are directly related to the automobile industry.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Hartsfield Jackson airport; the busiest airport in the world. Good luck batting against that.
Hartsfield Jackson isn't the busiest airport in the world anymore.

Quote:
BMW has been rumored to be looking at CLT and is expected to move its HQ within 5 years
I doubt this will happen, BMW prefers South Carolina.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't Hondajet fail?

The Charlotte metro has more jobs working in manufacturing than in the financial sector. Approximately 70,000 of those are directly related to the automobile industry.
No Hondajet didn't fail, infact it's undergoing yet another expansion at the moment,

“Honda Aircraft has experienced remarkable growth in both our workforce and infrastructure since the company’s founding in 2006,” said Michimasa Fujino, Honda Aircraft’s president and chief executive.
The company said it has hired and trained more than 300 assembly technicians in the last 14 months to support its aircraft production and ramp-up, and expects to add 250 more production jobs in the next expansion in 2015. The company’s final assembly line is full with 11 aircraft and the second production HondaJet is nearing completion"

It's been great success, for the area and triad as a whole.

But back to topic, i didn't know Daimler had such a huge presence in CLT

Last edited by YinXyang; 12-23-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina