Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta has a couple of factors working for it over the Triangle when it came to landing Mercedes-Benz:

1) Direct flights to Germany
2) Proximity to ports that handle a great deal of automobile imports and exports (Brunswick, Jacksonville, Savannah )
3) Proximity to the Vance, AL manufacturing facility

Now if BMW starts looking to relocate from Jersey, Charlotte would have a significant chance of landing that HQ since it has direct flights to Germany and isn't far from the plant in Greer, SC.
Thanks man I can see what your saying. I just hate that everyone perceives Atlanta to still be the only metro of importance in the south. I get that its big and what not But Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville and others are all making names for themselves. Can we not get away from the shadow the Atlanta puts over all the other newer upcoming metros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Thanks man I can see what your saying. I just hate that everyone perceives Atlanta to still be the only metro of importance in the south. I get that its big and what not But Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville and others are all making names for themselves. Can we not get away from the shadow the Atlanta puts over all the other newer upcoming metros?
That's not true and Atlanta has lost economic development projects to other cities in the region before. Now if you think that all future deals should go to other cities and Atlanta shouldn't get anything else, I'm afraid that's just not going to happen. No one city will get them all.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Why is not so hard for nc to land a auto plant. Was it the inventives or because of Atlanta's airport. I know Charlotte and Raleigh are just as attractive as Atlanta. Just bothers me a little bit and I know both cities are making huge strides at getting corporate relocations. Metlife, seal air, and I know there are more but I'm currently at work. I just fill like Charlotte in particular will always get over looked because were so close to Atlanta. Will this always be the case with North Carolinas two larget metros vs Atlanta
The news reported that Atlanta has more direct flights to Germany than any other U.S. city. That explains why Porche is opening a U.S. Headquarters next to Atlanta's airport.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:55 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Atlanta is as the CEO of Mercedes Benz said a "Premier City". Most would agree a "World Class City. ....
Most people in the world would not agree with this. Most people in the USA don't even agree with this. LOL.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM

120 posts, read 229,011 times
Quote:

This is a very interesting debate that has been on the table in recent years. I can absolutely understand why people compare Charlotte to Atlanta- downtown Charlotte aesthetically reminds me of a small and clean downtown Atlanta. Of course as a city planner, this topic, in general, is extremely fascinating to me.

I don't think that Atlanta is perceived as the only metro of importance in the south; and it obviously depends on what we are talking about. But since this topic is referring to the attraction of a large corporate headquarters; lets look it from a purely economic development and business attraction point of view...

As these numbers change and vary, please do not hold me to them: to the best of my knowledge and research; Charlotte is home to five Fortune 500 company headquarters. While it is true that Charlotte is the nation’s second-largest banking center, finance is not the largest industry or employment sector (this is a good thing)... Charlotte boasts diverse industry. However, Charlotte is not in the same category as Atlanta, economically. Charlotte is probably more comparable to the Research Triangle Park..again, I am talking about economics only. (Because, I think that Charlotte is a much better city, in many ways, compared to those in the triangle or, in many respects, Atlanta)

Atlanta is not only considered an important economic metro of the south, but the world. In the global economic system, Atlanta is one of eight U.S. cities classified as an "Alpha-World City" (NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran, DC, Miami, Boston & Atlanta). Atlanta has seven Fortune 100 companies, and many Fortune 500 companies- in fact, Atlanta has the most Fortune 500 companies in the country- behind NYC, Houston and Dallas. And, over 75% of Fortune 1000 companies are reported to have regional offices in Atlanta. Charlotte has experienced much of its success as a result of its proximity to Atlanta and I-85. I don't consider it a shadow. Plus, as you stated, these other states are up-and-coming... this is a good thing!

As this could go on and on- I will leave it here. They are both beautiful cities that benefit from their proximity of one another.

North Carolina, in my opinion, takes a more proactive approach to economic development and attraction- as a whole. It seems healthier and more diverse from boundary line to boundary line. However, Atlanta has certainly shown success as well- Atlanta, itself, is a very proactive city. One thing is for certain: Charlotte, the South-Eastern US and the country too, to some extent, should be pulling for Atlanta's continued success. If Atlanta somehow experienced the economic hardship of Detroit, (which wouldn't easily happen- since Atlanta is economically diverse), Charlotte would take a massive hit as the result.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Most people in the world would not agree with this. Most people in the USA don't even agree with this. LOL.
Well all I can say is Mercedes thinks so. Unfortunately that what counts right now.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Point me to the polls that say as much.

It's obviously subjective but as Attown says, what matters is that MB officials think so.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Well all I can say is Mercedes thinks so. ....
Mercedes does not list "world class city" as a requirement for their new HQ so this conclusion is incorrect. But I will give it to you that world status wise, Atlanta is at least equal to that of Montvale, NJ.

Aside from that, this is a nice win for Atlanta. Companies moving South is always good for the South. I'd rather see them move to ATL than to stay in NJ.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
But I will give it to you that world status wise, Atlanta is at least equal to that of Montvale, NJ.
Kid, you are a hoot. If Atlanta is equal to Montvale, would that make Charlotte equal to Camden?

What is it with you and Atlanta? You seem jealous and bitter and there's really no need for that; Charlotte got the last Jersey company that came looking down South, and Atlanta got this one. Charlotte/NC may get the next one.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What is it with you and Atlanta?
I am posting in the NC forum about NC. It is others from outside NC who keep bringing up ATL here. IMO, it is those who go to the other states forums to raise issues that have the problem.

Please feel free to check my post history. I've never made a single post in the GA or ATL forum. It holds no interest for me. These facts speak for themselves.

Oh, didn't you say you don't live in NC? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina