Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,119,477 times

Advertisements

Did you ever wonder how the French Broad River that flows through Asheville got its name?

"The French Broad River was named by white settlers centuries ago because it was one of the two broad rivers in western North Carolina. The one which flowed into land claimed by France at that time was named the "French Broad River", whereas the other, which stayed in land claimed by England – the Colony of North Carolina – was named the "English Broad River". (The latter was later renamed simply the "Broad River"). The name of the French Broad River in French was the Agiqua River, the Native Americans of this area – the Cherokee Indians – called it different names: Poelico, Agiqua (broad) in the mountains, Tahkeeosteh (racing waters) from Asheville down and Zillicoah above Asheville."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:42 PM

84 posts, read 121,067 times
I visited you State History Museum last month.I only spent two hours there.Not nearly enough time.I plan on going back In late Feb when I'm in town.I loved it.David

Old 12-31-2014, 04:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,643,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
she should subscribe to Our State magazine then. It is a mighty fascinating blend of old and new.
I LOVE Our State Magazine! My late Mother got it for decades! I have the last 3 years of magazine she got and I can't put them down! She was born and raised in Leaksville(Eden), NC. My Grandfather's legacy still stands with buildings he was the architect on for the historic registry. My family has a long history in NC-back to the 1600's. I have our family genealogy and it's fascinating. I love the history of the state. The Lost Colony always intrigued me. I love Fairystones. Oh I could go on! We have about 19 months before we come down to NC permanently from Upstate NY-yes sadly I am the only DamnedYankee in the family. My parents came North in the 50's for their jobs-Texaco's hey day. Dad was from Danville, VA and they met and UNC. I can't wait to get there and learn all I can about history in the state.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,489,520 times
I have lived in North Carolina since March 2012 and I know a very little bit about the history. I know it used to be big on tobacco and furniture. I know Raleigh is 1 of 9 cities that were planned / built specifically for the purpose of serving as the state's capital city. I know during the civil war more troops came from North Carolina than any other state, by a pretty large margin IIRC. Hmm...I think that's it actually :/ I've been planning on hitting up the NC Museum of Hisotry at some point soon..I'm more of a science buff than history :P

Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,485,489 times
I hope they do, because we have A TON of history here in North Carolina, or any state along the East Coast for that matter. I will offer one assumption, the children of transplants don't know their way around the state. I went to a high school in the Research Triangle filled with loads of transplanted kids or children of transplants. I swear, if you told these kids to drive over to Winston-Salem (just as one example), they wouldn't have a clue. However, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:28 PM

135 posts, read 162,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I hope they do, because we have A TON of history here in North Carolina, or any state along the East Coast for that matter. I will offer one assumption, the children of transplants don't know their way around the state. I went to a high school in the Research Triangle filled with loads of transplanted kids or children of transplants. I swear, if you told these kids to drive over to Winston-Salem (just as one example), they wouldn't have a clue. However, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a transplant...more the age (or a sign of the times)...when my boys started driving, they were constantly asking directions to places they'd been frequently over their years growing up in the same house. With everyone having GPS in car or at least on smart phones, they don't need to learn that anyway!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:30 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,485,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a transplant...more the age (or a sign of the times)...when my boys started driving, they were constantly asking directions to places they'd been frequently over their years growing up in the same house. With everyone having GPS in car or at least on smart phones, they don't need to learn that anyway!
Very true. I guess I was just a geography nerd in high school

Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 AM

444 posts, read 581,444 times
Default yes

Yes...a bunch of old men have told me about how the north came around and burned barns and towns down during the civil war. I have also been told that slavery wasn't that bad, that the blacks were treated well...

Old 01-04-2015, 09:48 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,421,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
Yes...a bunch of old men have told me about how the north came around and burned barns and towns down during the civil war. I have also been told that slavery wasn't that bad, that the blacks were treated well...
Find some new friends. I have lived all my life in the south and never heard anybody say slaves were treated well. If you hang around with racists, then that's the kind of thing you will encounter. I guess..

Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,306,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
Don't know why you would have been told that.

Very little damage was done to NC during the War. Sherman had his troops under orders not to do so in NC and to be generally peaceable as they went through to VA. So GA, SC yes. Clearly so. NC, no.

Will agree that many churches and courthouses burned in the 1800s from lightening and other fires that occurred. But that wasn't Sherman's troops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina