Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times

Advertisements

As you prepare to bring in the new year in NOrth Carolina by having a good luck new years meal, different NC cities have different ways to bring in the year.

In Morehead City a crap pot is dropped, Fayetteville a box of dogwood (cant figure this out since it blooms around Easter.

In Cherryville the locals visit each other and fire muskets.
In Rural Hill (huntersville take part in the annual scottish tradition of taking the correct first step by walking or running at it annual tradition called First Footin.

Visit Oriental NC to bang pots bringing in the year to ward off dragons.
Or travel to other end of the state and watch Opossum drop.
Still feeling coastal visit Kure Beach to watch a beach ball drop.
If you feel like bigger celebrations in the metros. In Raliegh known as city of trees watch an acorn drop or visit Charlotte to watch a crown rise.

Make sure to prepare or visit a restaurant that serves traditional New Years meal that includes black eye peas, cornbread and collard greens with pork .
https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...rolina&spell=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM

444 posts, read 577,494 times
I think everyone should embrace recycling and put it out with their weekly trash...not many people recycle in NC.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 AM

983 posts, read 3,972,273 times
Fayetteville's top politicians host a New Year's Lunch every year at the Charlie Rose Expo Center. It is completely free---BBQ, Black eyed peas, and collards.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,404,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
I think everyone should embrace recycling and put it out with their weekly trash...not many people recycle in NC.
You've noticed this all over the state? Everybody in my neighborhood recycles.

Don't forget the pickle drop in Mt Olive!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
As you prepare to bring in the new year in NOrth Carolina by having a good luck new years meal, different NC cities have different ways to bring in the year.

In Morehead City a crap pot is dropped, Fayetteville a box of dogwood (cant figure this out since it blooms around Easter.

In Cherryville the locals visit each other and fire muskets.
In Rural Hill (huntersville take part in the annual scottish tradition of taking the correct first step by walking or running at it annual tradition called First Footin.

Visit Oriental NC to bang pots bringing in the year to ward off dragons.
Or travel to other end of the state and watch Opossum drop.
Still feeling coastal visit Kure Beach to watch a beach ball drop.
If you feel like bigger celebrations in the metros. In Raliegh known as city of trees watch an acorn drop or visit Charlotte to watch a crown rise.

Make sure to prepare or visit a restaurant that serves traditional New Years meal that includes black eye peas, cornbread and collard greens with pork .
https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...rolina&spell=1
Did you mean "crab"?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Did you mean "crab"?

LOL i thought the the site I received info had a typo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYMBHH3r8oI

Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM

LOL, I'm awake NOW.

There are days when I think crap pot has dropped.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
LOL, I'm awake NOW.

There are days when I think crap pot has dropped.
Im surprise a town in NC isnt lowering a crap pot. I know what you mean, caffeine is my remedy.

I saw on the news the person that hosts the Opossum drop was unable to get permit the town enacted probably a rule the state made last year of using live animals. So instead he going to drop road kill

I like it far as it unique but maybe the town should do what Morehead city did and use a fake one.

When I first heard of the Opossum drop a couple years ago, my mind thought they literally drop Oppossum til I saw a video of it lowered in a box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXU5Li7TxY

Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 AM

I know the Possum Drop has been under review lately. Poor possums. They get no respect.

Here's the link to the Pickle Drop. It's at the corner of Cucumber and Vine, lol.
Welcome to Mt. Olive Pickles - That's Picklicious!

Old 12-30-2014, 03:16 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,478,290 times
Our tradition is to be the first on the lift at Sugar Mtn. While everybody else is sleeping off their New Year's Eve hangover, we're getting the best snow of the day.... and no crowds (shhhhh!!!!)

To quote my hubby:

Thanksgiving Day tradition - turkey sandwich in the base lodge at Sugar Mtn.

Christmas Day tradition - turkey sandwich in the base lodge at Sugar Mtn.

New Year's Day tradition - turkey sandwich in the base lodge at Sugar Mtn.

Makes it easy on me in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina