Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 PM

605 posts, read 804,502 times

Advertisements

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 05:14 AM

132 posts, read 181,477 times
That's tough! I lived in Mint Hill went to Junior High(liked). Stationed at Ft. Bragg(hated). Moved to Georgia and have been here for 18 years. Kind of want to move back to NC. Atlanta traffic is a nightmare. Anything West of Charlotte sounds good

Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
You've already posted numerous threads along the lines of "If you prefer area A to area B, please say why"--including this very thread in the Georgia forum.

You do not seem to realize that both Georgia and NC are large, diverse states, and you can't really compare a whole state to another, especially without any criteria such as whether you're talking about business, climate, crime, schools, etc. Atlanta is like no other part of Georgia, and Charlotte is like few other parts of NC, yet Atlanta (GA) and Charlotte (NC) are much more alike than, say, Raleigh and West Jefferson, both in NC.

What part of NC vs what part of Georgia, based on what criteria? Each state has 9+ million people who all have different opinions from one part of town in one city to the next, never mind a whole state compared to another whole state. I am guessing that you have done very little research on either state and seem to think a few people's subjective opinions will somehow enlighten you?

You also were the one looking for "the least rednecky" state--I sense a prior agenda here. I am thinking you won't be happy in either NC or Georgia.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM

444 posts, read 581,957 times
GA is much MORE anti-northern and pro-religion...so I like NC better...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
Pretty much this.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You've already posted numerous threads along the lines of "If you prefer area A to area B, please say why"--including this very thread in the Georgia forum.

You do not seem to realize that both Georgia and NC are large, diverse states, and you can't really compare a whole state to another, especially without any criteria such as whether you're talking about business, climate, crime, schools, etc. Atlanta is like no other part of Georgia, and Charlotte is like few other parts of NC, yet Atlanta (GA) and Charlotte (NC) are much more alike than, say, Raleigh and West Jefferson, both in NC.

What part of NC vs what part of Georgia, based on what criteria? Each state has 9+ million people who all have different opinions from one part of town in one city to the next, never mind a whole state compared to another whole state. I am guessing that you have done very little research on either state and seem to think a few people's subjective opinions will somehow enlighten you?

You also were the one looking for "the least rednecky" state--I sense a prior agenda here. I am thinking you won't be happy in either NC or Georgia.
Have to agree with Francois, and even if you could do a state to state comparison the question you ask is What do I prefer? Now what I prefer may be nothing near what you prefer, so it is a baseless comparison.

But while we are playing tiddlywinks, I was born in NC and it is still my first love. But I did live in Atlanta Cobb County area 15 years and hated it, everything. We had a saying in NC that nothing good comes out of Atlanta which was based upon the civil rights years and white flight, etc. Still it was true to me. The congestion of living, the heavy traffic and clogged side roads to get to the commuter roads, and the fatigue with commuting so that each day became a steady drain of your soul. And going downtown to an event was few and far between because of the five day a week steady draining and fatiguing commute. In some ways it was like DC, where your lifestyle becomes one of 1.5 hour commutes each way after long days at the office.

There is good to Atlanta and if you found the right place to live that mitigated commute problems or you were a work at home/stay at home person there is a lot to like. But I did not like GA.

North Georgia is different and is really just on the other side of a mountain from NC or SC. There are some pretty and convenient little towns that are likable and they are nothing like the business of Atlanta. They are OK.

So I do not like Atlanta and am not keen on GA overall, but North Georgia would be tolerable to me. South Georgia is a whole different world and I wouldn't care for that either. That is me not you.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,588 times
It will be hard to find a southern state without any southerners in it.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM

605 posts, read 804,502 times
Not sure why some of you are trying it. I live in NJ now because I work in NYC, but I was born and raised in NC and went to Chapel Hill for college. I'm not fond of rednecks, no, but who is?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
I haven't experienced Georgia outside of a couple visits to Atlanta and Athens, so I can't say I have enough information to make a comparison.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
"Much more anti-northern and pro-religion"? What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
We had a saying in NC that nothing good comes out of Atlanta which was based upon the civil rights years and white flight, etc.
That's very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina