Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 13,118 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 40's and we still have three young school age children at home. The number one concern for us when relocating are the schools. Can someone plz tell me which area would have the best schools? We are looking at this move to be our final relocation. After relocating multiple times, we have learned to rent before we buy. I would love to find somewhere that has good elementary, middle and High schools. After we rent for a year we will buying what we hope will be our forever home. We enjoy being in the country but prefer not to be too far from shopping, post office etc. My husband will be working out of Aberdeen, but will also travel a lot of the time, so we need to be in a family safe area. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmith73 View Post
Can someone plz tell me which area would have the best schools?.... My husband will be working out of Aberdeen, but will also travel a lot of the time, so we need to be in a family safe area. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
All the areas you mention are within the Moore County school district, so the exact address will determing the schools you are assigned to. I use Schooldigger.com and greatschools.org a lot, but you can get detailed reports on each school at NCReportcards.com .

My suggestion is to find a house in the West End/Seven Lakes area, which has schools rated 4 and 5 out of 5. Pinehurst would be my second choice. The schools in the other towns are either unrated or average to poor rated. Here's the map from my schooldigger search: Moore County Schools District - Carthage, North Carolina - SchoolDigger.com

I also suggest using Realtor.com to look for a rental, as they normally have the assigned school with each listing.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
All the areas you mention are within the Moore County school district, so the exact address will determing the schools you are assigned to. I use Schooldigger.com and greatschools.org a lot, but you can get detailed reports on each school at NCReportcards.com .

My suggestion is to find a house in the West End/Seven Lakes area, which has schools rated 4 and 5 out of 5. Pinehurst would be my second choice. The schools in the other towns are either unrated or average to poor rated. Here's the map from my schooldigger search: Moore County Schools District - Carthage, North Carolina - SchoolDigger.com

I also suggest using Realtor.com to look for a rental, as they normally have the assigned school with each listing.
We live in that area and although we don't have children in school we live in the area with the best rated schools. Just like every other state good schools follows the money but in Moore Co the real money is in Pinehurst with all the wealthy retired golfers but few children.

I like Seven Lakes except for the politics within the gated community but West End is good along with Foxfire Village (same schools), then Pinehurst.

Love the town of Southern Pines because of it's old time Southern feel but am not surprised at the low school rating along with Aberdeen. Like it or not those on public assistance seem to live in or near built up towns.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Thank you for the info. We have relocated before and I have used some of the school rating websites. While helpful, they aren't always the most accurate and I was hoping for more of a local knowledge of the schools. I hadn't heard of Seven Lakes or West End before so this is good to know. My husband actually grew up not far from Southern Pines, but that was so many years ago we can't rely on his memory to know what the current school system is like. Thank you again!

Thats a bummer about Southern Pines. I like the small town feel. We are hoping to find a good home church as well that is not overly large but big enough to have something to offer the kids.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
I would never suggest West End / Seven Lakes unless you like being in the middle of nowhere. They have 2 gas stations, a food lion, McDonald's and subway. Everything else is 25 minutes away in Southern Pines anyway. It is excruciatingly boring. A loooooottttt of old people. But if you like being isolated you might enjoy it.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:05 PM

Yikes! That's what it is like where we are now. I love the little town, but it takes 30 mins to get to any type of shopping. Thanks for the heads up. So what would be the middle ground? Pinehurst? Good schools and closer to shopping?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I would never suggest West End / Seven Lakes unless you like being in the middle of nowhere. They have 2 gas stations, a food lion, McDonald's and subway. Everything else is 25 minutes away in Southern Pines anyway. It is excruciatingly boring. A loooooottttt of old people. But if you like being isolated you might enjoy it.
OMG, Old people, do you know what old people don't do? They don't mug/rob/shoot people.

NFN but you are the same person who complained about all the crime in Southern Pines but you are suggesting that's where you have to go for what, to be mugged? Perhaps when you mature you will learn to adapt.

Retired and happy in the country.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OMG, Old people, do you know what old people don't do? They don't mug/rob/shoot people.

NFN but you are the same person who complained about all the crime in Southern Pines but you are suggesting that's where you have to go for what, to be mugged? Perhaps when you mature you will learn to adapt.

Retired and happy in the country.
I complained about living in Brookside Don't tell me I need to learn to adapt...let's see you live in Brookside for a year after living in a nice LR suburb and see how well you adapt? And you're right, old people sure don't mug / rob / shoot people. I don't think I suggested anywhere that they should go to SP to get mugged? Can you point out exactly where I said that? No, they will have to go to SP/Ab to do anything other than Dollar General, Food Lion, McDonald's, Subway or gas. Need to drive 25 minutes to Walmart, Lowe's, Best Buy, Ross', hell even just a Burger King or Taco Bell.

West End / Seven Lakes is, again, excruciatingly boring for anyone who isn't old and retired. You're retired so I'm sure you enjoy it. OP already agreed with me, soooo.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:46 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmith73 View Post
So what would be the middle ground? Pinehurst? Good schools and closer to shopping?
Well, if Seven Lakes is too far out, then Pinehurst is your best choice of the three towns mentioned. There are certainly many houses for rent. OTOH, Pinehurst is also a great retirement place, so your task would be to find the area with the most children. Perhaps it would be a neighborhood attractive to the military officer families. There are a few rental listings in Pinehurst at this site: Fort Bragg Homes for Sale Houses for Rent - Real Estate

Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I complained about living in Brookside Don't tell me I need to learn to adapt...let's see you live in Brookside for a year after living in a nice LR suburb and see how well you adapt? And you're right, old people sure don't mug / rob / shoot people. I don't think I suggested anywhere that they should go to SP to get mugged? Can you point out exactly where I said that? No, they will have to go to SP/Ab to do anything other than Dollar General, Food Lion, McDonald's, Subway or gas. Need to drive 25 minutes to Walmart, Lowe's, Best Buy, Ross', hell even just a Burger King or Taco Bell.

West End / Seven Lakes is, again, excruciatingly boring for anyone who isn't old and retired. You're retired so I'm sure you enjoy it. OP already agreed with me, soooo.
OK so i'm guessing Seven Lakes is another place you couldn't afford the rent.

BTW, I don't even live in Seven lakes but it is a place in Moore co with good rated schools with out the Pinehurst price tag.

It really doesn't matter who the OP agrees with, they are the ones paying the rent. It certainly doesn't matter to me where they choose to reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina