Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:41 PM

41 posts, read 49,631 times

Advertisements

Very sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Just a heads up. Not a great place for teachers right now. Might be better in the future. It's certainly been better in the past.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
NC as a whole may or may not be a good place for teachers. There's over 100 school districts in NC, certainly there are some that are good. And I'm sure Wake is a fine one to work in as a teacher.

I know that my children's education, in the Wake County Public School System, is going just fine.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyMurphy19 View Post
Poppydog, I'm not looking to necessarily start working right away. I've been teaching for 17 years, and because of the extremely fast paced lifestyle of the NY/NJ metropolitan area, was never financially able to take any time to be with my children. It is very a very fast-paced, "dog eat dog" environment here, but believe me, I have no illusions about the grass always being greener on the other side. At least as far as work is concerned! NC seems to have many of the critical attributes my husband and I are looking for in a place where we want to settle down and raise our family.
What do you know firsthand about NC, i.e. from coming and seeing it yourself? Lots of folks up there hear "Oh, NC is where you need to move to" without considering any other areas. Your question is suitably vague that I wonder why NC is the only place you are considering, when other states actually have lower costs of living but similar climates, family-friendliness, etc. Saying "NC seems to have many of the critical attributes we are looking for" makes me wonder if you have even been here in person.

Coming to investigate the state for yourself would let you see which parts you like and don't like, way more than people on the internet who don't know you can do. Rather than "Where in NC should we live?" you might think more in terms of "Where [in any state] should we live, that meets X, Y, and Z criteria" on the General US board--and then go check it out for yourselves?"

Definitely NC is not a place that's friendly to teachers. If you are planning to work again, later, that is something to consider, for sure.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Hi All,
Hoping for some guidance. My husband and our 2 children, aged 7, are looking to move to NC within the next year. We know that Wake County is home to some excellent schools, but have also heard about much relocation and overpopulation. Could any of you recommend another area in NC that would be welcoming and family friendly? We now live in a really lovely, everyone knows everyone, kids could walk to school together kind of town. Due to reasons beyond our control, we will be relocating and are really excited for the change. My husband is your typical Irish NYPD (soon to be retired) police officer, and I am an elementary school teacher. We'd love to call NC home, and look forward to any ideas or insight anyone could share. Thank you!
The schools in NC really are not as good as NY. NC has 6 high schools that made the U.S. News top 1000 list and 2 are in Cary. I have lived in Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Manteo, and Flat Rock. My pick would be Chapel Hill - good schools and I like the town.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM

41 posts, read 49,631 times
Francois, wow, your tone is quite rude. I asked a question, and am not sure why you are choosing to dissect it. You have no idea the amount of time and energy my husband and I have invested into this relocation process. Frankly, it's not your business why we choose what we choose. As I stated, there are personal reasons outside of our control. If you would like to contribute something positive, I'd much appreciate it. If not, and your goal is to belittle and make me feel unwelcomed, mission accomplished.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Francois, wow, your tone is quite rude. I asked a question, and am not sure why you are choosing to dissect it. You have no idea the amount of time and energy my husband and I have invested into this relocation process. Frankly, it's not your business why we choose what we choose. As I stated, there are personal reasons outside of our control. If you would like to contribute something positive, I'd much appreciate it. If not, and your goal is to belittle and make me feel unwelcomed, mission accomplished.
Look at it this way...

You'll either move here and love it or you'll move here and what Francois said will seem less rude and more like "advice that should have been heeded."

Truth is, nobody knows but you whether this would truly be a good move.

Not your friend's cousin who moved here, not an online article with a "Best Places to..." list, not the COL calculator that says NC is cheaper than NY, and not any one poster on this bulletin board.

That said, the situation for teachers here is worth watching.

On this board, you'll get it all. People who warn you off, people who tell you it's the best idea since crushed ice, and people who are largely indifferent either way.

Good luck in your decision making.

One thing I will say is that many people who move here bring the dog-eat-dog mentality with them. And we have a good many people relocating to this area every year.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Really, there was nothing rude about what Francois posted to you, & I'm a transplant. Granted, none of us know how much time you've put into this idea, but you eliminated one of 100 counties. If you think that what was said to you makes you feel unwelcome you must have some pretty thin skin.

Let's see, the Republicans took over the state & have been treating teachers like refuse. Would you prefer to not know this? We don't know you. How can we tell you where to move to with very limited information. I live in a county near Charlotte. Most people from NY don't like it here, where I live.

There are a lot of things that are none of our business that we ask. We don't care about the answer & don't keep tabs on people but we have to ask questions that are none of our business to give the best answer for individuals. Everybody's case is different. I've seen plenty of people get torqued when asked for their housing budget. Trust me, we don't care. But if they can't afford over $200K & they are being told to look at $700K houses that's not very helpful is it.

Likewise, asking people if they've been to the state is useful. If you haven't been to the state, how do you know that it's Valhalla? The economy collapsed here too. Jobs aren't growing on trees here either. Plus you're a teacher. The one thing that people can warn you about that's concrete is the way that teachers are being treated. Their stipend for having degrees beyond a bachelor degree was taken away, for pete's sake.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Francois uses that same tone with everybody who asks where to live when they move to NC, makes perfect sense IMO.

I researched and visited NC for about 5 years before we eventually retired and moved here. I never asked any NC residents where we should move to because nobody would know what is best for us other than ourselves.We thought we wanted to live in a suburb in NC but we could not be happier semi rural.

Common sense say's first you need a job and that is just what he points out to everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina