U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 PM

41 posts, read 45,011 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Hoping for some guidance. My husband and our 2 children, aged 7, are looking to move to NC within the next year. We know that Wake County is home to some excellent schools, but have also heard about much relocation and overpopulation. Could any of you recommend another area in NC that would be welcoming and family friendly? We now live in a really lovely, everyone knows everyone, kids could walk to school together kind of town. Due to reasons beyond our control, we will be relocating and are really excited for the change. My husband is your typical Irish NYPD (soon to be retired) police officer, and I am an elementary school teacher. We'd love to call NC home, and look forward to any ideas or insight anyone could share. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:53 PM

12,767 posts, read 24,359,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyMurphy19 View Post
My husband and our 2 children, aged 7, are looking to move to NC within the next year. We know that Wake County is home to some excellent schools, but have also heard about much relocation and overpopulation. Could any of you recommend another area in NC that would be welcoming and family friendly?...... My husband is your typical Irish NYPD (soon to be retired) police officer, and I am an elementary school teacher.
You could look into Chatham, Orange and Johnston Counties around Raleigh, Forsyth County near Winston-Salem and Matthews near Charlotte.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 AM

Thank you, goldenage1!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 AM

12,667 posts, read 14,874,464 times
Stacey, is there a particular reason you're looking at NC? It's really not a good place for teachers right now. Many polls have us at the BOTTOM of the 50 states in teacher satisfaction and compensation. They say it's the worst place to be a teacher. Survey calls North Carolina the worst state for teachers in the US | abc11.com

If you don't have family ties or a job offer bringing you to NC you might want to check out another state that is better for teachers.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 AM

530 posts, read 622,481 times
Check out Chapel Hill. It's a beautiful town in a beautiful area and it has the university which is wonderful for the community.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Poppydog, I'm not looking to necessarily start working right away. I've been teaching for 17 years, and because of the extremely fast paced lifestyle of the NY/NJ metropolitan area, was never financially able to take any time to be with my children. It is very a very fast-paced, "dog eat dog" environment here, but believe me, I have no illusions about the grass always being greener on the other side. At least as far as work is concerned! NC seems to have many of the critical attributes my husband and I are looking for in a place where we want to settle down and raise our family.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Right now I think Virginia, South Carolina, and Tennessee are all doing better by their teachers. Just something to consider. I know some teachers who have left the profession.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:13 PM

Poppydog, I'm really sorry to hear that. It's terrible to not be appreciated by your school district/county/state. Question- how do you think this is affecting the education system in general? Are the students suffering because of this?

Old 01-11-2015, 02:21 PM

530 posts, read 622,481 times
It is terrible not to be appreciated as a teacher. Just go to the hotel that hosts the UFT retired teacher luncheon in NYC next November. You will see over 1,000 teachers and you will hear stories.....everyone has a story.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:52 PM

Stacey there's been a lot of media coverage here. Just google North Carolina teachers. Here's one article: Many NC 'teachers of the year' plan to leave classroom

There have been a lot of protests, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina