Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times

Advertisements

I don't perceive any distinct rivalry between NC and either of the two states. Heck, I don't perceive anything brewing with TN either. Maybe there's some tension where the major metropolitan areas straddle a state line (Charlotte & Hampton Roads)? I dunno....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 02:28 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,940,852 times
The only competition there in the Charlotte metro..since three counties are in SC a lot of businesses are choosing York County versus Mecklenburg for lower taxes....but other than that...nope!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,473,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't perceive any distinct rivalry between NC and either of the two states. Heck, I don't perceive anything brewing with TN either. Maybe there's some tension where the major metropolitan areas straddle a state line (Charlotte & Hampton Roads)? I dunno....
Tennessee is basically that far off neighbor we never think of (or sometimes forget), and I've ran into many people in North Carolina who forget we actually border Georgia! I'll quiz people on the "fourth state we border" and most people believe it's West Virginia!

There's definitely an economic rivalry between NC and GA according to the people on CD.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,502,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Not between North Carolina and South Carolina. North Carolina is far ahead of South Carolina economically.
I worked in economic development in NC for 15+ years on state and local levels in the '80's and 90's. There has always been a keen rivalry between the two Carolinas when it comes to business recruiting, as well as NC and GA to an extent, not so much VA or TN. I've been out of that "world" for quite some time, but I can't imagine it's much different today.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,808,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Tennessee is basically that far off neighbor we never think of (or sometimes forget), and I've ran into many people in North Carolina who forget we actually border Georgia! I'll quiz people on the "fourth state we border" and most people believe it's West Virginia!

There's definitely an economic rivalry between NC and GA according to the people on CD.
Yep. Lots of people want Charlotte to be just like Atlanta.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
South Carolina: To small for a country, to big for an asylum!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 PM

37,835 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
South Carolina: To small for a country, to big for an asylum!
Ironically, I think that slogan is more applicable to NC these days with its hard-right policies.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ironically, I think that slogan is more applicable to NC these days with its hard-right policies.
LOL! Except for a few social wedge issues, America's political spectrum is either right or very right. In the context of this topic, there is no such thing as a leftist economic agenda. Any attempts in this direction are immediately rebuffed & discredited. i.e.
  • Occupy Wall Street Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves conservatives/red state lovers
  • Tea Party Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves liberals/blue state lovers
Yet both movements share 90% the same agenda, i.e. anti-establishment/status quo

-------------------

In regards to the Carolinas, the economies of these two states are far too intertwined to be considered rivals. It's more like this region competes against other regions. Take away the port of Charleston, Boeing, Auto Truck Manufacturing in SC then NC businesses suffer. Take away Hub Airport/Distribution center, parts suppliers, finance in NC, then SC business suffer. There is much more synergy than rivalry.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,940,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL! Except for a few social wedge issues, America's political spectrum is either right or very right. In the context of this topic, there is no such thing as a leftist economic agenda. Any attempts in this direction are immediately rebuffed & discredited. i.e.
  • Occupy Wall Street Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves conservatives/red state lovers
  • Tea Party Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves liberals/blue state lovers
Yet both movements share 90% the same agenda, i.e. anti-establishment/status quo

-------------------

In regards to the Carolinas, the economies of these two states are far too intertwined to be considered rivals. It's more like this region competes against other regions. Take away the port of Charleston, Boeing, Auto Truck Manufacturing in SC then NC businesses suffer. Take away Hub Airport/Distribution center, parts suppliers, finance in NC, then SC business suffer. There is much more synergy than rivalry.
I agree.....even with travel, I know a lot of western/mid north carolinianins go to SC beaches with tourism and south carolinianians rather go to NC/TN for mountain get always

Antioquia

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,483,299 times
I would agree about NC and GA. Don't see one with SC as NC is much larger and ahead of them on pretty much all aspects other than COL. VA is behind as well outside of NoVa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina