Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM

82 posts, read 460,285 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This site above was something I just came across, not sure how accurate it is, but that's where I found Apex at the top.

Last edited by Yac; 01-30-2015 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM

82 posts, read 460,285 times
I read this comment (below) in this thread, what does this mean ? Where is the OBX ?

"I couldn't stand living on the OBX full-time. It is too cold in the winter, too isolated, too few amenities, etc"

Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
I read this comment (below) in this thread, what does this mean ? Where is the OBX ?

"I couldn't stand living on the OBX full-time. It is too cold in the winter, too isolated, too few amenities, etc"
OBX = the Outer Banks, an area of North Carolina's coast that includes Kill Devil Hills.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM

210 posts, read 319,273 times
We moved to Chapel Hill from out of state, and we really love it here. The schools so far have proven to be good for our kids -- I will say they are not as challenging as the schools we've come from elsewhere, but certainly adequate. We haven't been here long enough for me to comment on anything outside of what we have experienced here in Chapel Hill.

We purposely avoided Wake County Schools (Cary/Apex/Morrisville, etc.) due to all the overcrowding, and are very glad that we did. It seems to be a very hot topic, locally.

I like that in Chapel Hill, there are many job opportunities for your teens. With UNC so close, there's lots of shops, smaller malls, coffee places, etc.

Rent here is a bit more expensive, depending on what you are looking for (2BR, 3BR, etc.). We opted to sacrifice a bedroom so that we could have a townhouse, rather than an apartment. So our kids share a room. It's been working out for them, but it probably won't be long-term. You can certainly find apartments within your budget - things really turn over during the summer, with college kids moving in/out, so April/May would be the best time to start looking. There wasn't much available when we arrived in the fall, after school had started.

For safety/crime, check out Spotcrime

People we have met here also like North Raleigh, but say to stay away from South Raleigh, as it's a bit rough. Parts of Durham are really nice, near Southpoint mall, but other parts are a little sketchy.

We went to OBX last week; and while it is lovely and beautiful off-season for a visit, it is nearly shut down and lights out! We could not ever live there year-round - it was like a ghost town.

Lastly, people here (in person) are indeed very friendly! People on the Internet...well you've seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina