Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:36 PM

157 posts, read 1,302,977 times

Advertisements

We want to relocate to a nice NC semi-secluded, safe lakefront or riverfront area that has good water views and allows power boating. We can spend about $1M on a property. We are aware of Charlotte/Lake Norman and Lake Wylie. Wife is a medical professional so we need to be within 30-45 minutes of significant medical facilities for her employment, I work from home.

Thank you for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:09 PM

9 posts, read 59,527 times
Default Jordan Lake

Check out Jordan Lake in Apex. Apex is a really nice suburb of Raleigh and is adjacent to Cary. I understand there is a lakefront neighborhood there, and Raleigh/Durham has all the medical jobs! Living on this lake will give you equal distance to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill

Old 11-04-2006, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 59,527 times
One neighborhood on Jordan Lake is called The Preserve at Jordan Lake. Nice homes there.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
We want to relocate to a nice NC semi-secluded, safe lakefront or riverfront area that has good water views and allows power boating. We can spend about $1M on a property. We are aware of Charlotte/Lake Norman and Lake Wylie. Wife is a medical professional so we need to be within 30-45 minutes of significant medical facilities for her employment, I work from home.

Thank you for any ideas.
For my money you can't beat Lake James and its scenery in Burke county. The water is very clean and the backdrop of mountains is awesome. Check out Cresent Developers - they do a lot of stuff there.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Try New Bern, Wilmington, Washington, Edenton.

All located along rivers or sounds.

You might want to try lake Gaston, lake Norman and Jordan lake. Although I am not sure if they let you build along Jordan Lake yet. I have never seen a house their.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:29 AM

94 posts, read 345,150 times
Hi Itsme2,

There's one in my town that might interest you. Our Lake Macintosh is no Norman or Gaston mind you, it's a smaller lake, so if you're looking for that kind of scene (or have a 60 ft. Bertram) don't even bother looking. (we're talking laid back here. )

Macintosh is located in Burlington (near Greenboro) in Central NC. Pop. around 40,000 (small town feel). There's a new hospital real close to the Lake (not even five minutes away) - not a major medical center but it serves around three cites or so. Also, UNC hospital is 30 minutes away & Duke is 45.

Elon University is also 5 minutes away in the opposite direction.

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.lakemackintosh.com/index.aspx (broken link)

Good luck with your search!

fern

Last edited by fern33; 11-05-2006 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-05-2006, 04:48 AM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
There are lots of lakes in NC big enough to allow powerboating. You might want to approach your search by first deciding which metro area is most appealing to you and then evaluate the nearby lakes. I've put my money on Lake James because it fit my "Big 4" - close to Asheville and other conveniences yet still rural, in the mountains, aesthetically beautiful, and clean. $1MM there would get you two adjacent point lots with 4 or 5 acres of the most breathtaking views that you could imagine. There are two major Crescent lakefront subdivisions being sold there right now.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 AM

127 posts, read 599,959 times
Default I live on a lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post

Thank you for any ideas.
If you want a house on a Great Lake, you'll have to find something in a state that's farther north and more in the midwest. North Carolina isn't anywhere near any of the Great Lakes.

Seriously though...

I've made some observations about lakefront homes. It seems that many of the million dollar lakefront homes are on no-wake lakes. I guess people who spend that kind of money on a house buy them for the view and don't want to be bothered with those pesky boats and jet skis. Some of the larger lakes that do allow power boating tend to get overcome with weekend boaters who load the boat up with beer and can become a real pain and a danger to others.

I live on a smaler lake that is a private lake. We allow power boats, but because of the size of the lake, we only allow 3 or 4 boats out at a time. Our lake is also filled with lots of large mouth bass. There' only like five or six of us here that actually fish, so it's really easy to catch a big stringer full of fish. You can practically throw in an empty hook in and pull out a 12" bass.

The neighborhood is an older, established neighborhood, with many of the families being 3rd generation in the same house. It's secluded, and very safe. We're across the street form the lake where homes are in the 200K range. Homes on the lake are in the 300-500K range. There are hospitals within 20-30 minute driving distance, and we're a couple miles from shopping, restaraunts, etc.

There's a house on the lake up for sale that's in the 400K range. It has a private dock.

PM me if you want details.

Last edited by liveInNC; 11-05-2006 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-05-2006, 10:09 AM

37 posts, read 185,768 times
Look here,
http://www.lakehouse.com/browse_map.php?cat=38

Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
There are lots of lakes in NC big enough to allow powerboating. You might want to approach your search by first deciding which metro area is most appealing to you and then evaluate the nearby lakes. I've put my money on Lake James because it fit my "Big 4" - close to Asheville and other conveniences yet still rural, in the mountains, aesthetically beautiful, and clean. $1MM there would get you two adjacent point lots with 4 or 5 acres of the most breathtaking views that you could imagine. There are two major Crescent lakefront subdivisions being sold there right now.
Yep, just like I said This is a BEAUTIFUL spot. If you want to get a look at it, rent Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina