Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 AM

15 posts, read 176,340 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if there are any home builders that one might recommend over another. An agent told me that she's heard some bad things about Centex Homes, specifically the quality. Also, heard to stay away from David Weekly, Pulte, KB, and Comfort Homes, Inc. due to poor quality and/or customer service. I would think that even with the best builder, there are going to be complaints, but on average there must be some that stand out from the rest (good or bad). Being a single woman relocating from CT, I'd like to stick with a builder where I'd have some level of comfort that I could count on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 47,171 times
I'd add Beazer to that list. What is their reputation like?
I do know that KB tends to build cheaply from what friends have told me, but am not familiar with the others. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyv7 View Post
I'd like to know if there are any home builders that one might recommend over another. An agent told me that she's heard some bad things about Centex Homes, specifically the quality. Also, heard to stay away from David Weekly, Pulte, KB, and Comfort Homes, Inc. due to poor quality and/or customer service. I would think that even with the best builder, there are going to be complaints, but on average there must be some that stand out from the rest (good or bad). Being a single woman relocating from CT, I'd like to stick with a builder where I'd have some level of comfort that I could count on them.

Interesting all the builders seemed to have been "zapped"
There's Shea, Orleans, Ryan, and many others. I live in a Centex community in South Charlotte, I know MarkH lives up in North Charlotte and has/had a good experience, and I have a friend who' buying in the Mcintyre Centex community (not quite sure where that is), so I'm tracking her experience there.

I can only speak for my experience, and it's probably local to the reps in my community, but the pre, building phase, after close followup and support have been GREAT. My only beef is I don't like bermuda grass so I've overseeded with Rye

But as with a lot of things YMMV.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM

146 posts, read 638,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Interesting all the builders seemed to have been "zapped"
There's Shea, Orleans, Ryan, and many others. I live in a Centex community in South Charlotte, I know MarkH lives up in North Charlotte and has/had a good experience, and I have a friend who' buying in the Mcintyre Centex community (not quite sure where that is), so I'm tracking her experience there.

I can only speak for my experience, and it's probably local to the reps in my community, but the pre, building phase, after close followup and support have been GREAT. My only beef is I don't like bermuda grass so I've overseeded with Rye

But as with a lot of things YMMV.
Hi Miker, I too am having a house built by Centex in Union county. So far I have been down twice during the building stage. Once for a foundation inspection and the second for pre-drywall. I also hired a building inspector to check the work at each stage. At the foundation stage we found that the concrete patio was poured in the wrong place, which was later corrected. During the building process they somehow added a 5 th bedroom that we did not want which was also corrected. At the pre drywall inspection my inspector e-mailed me a list of items(26) that needed attention. The most concerning was a dark mold like substance on the roof sheathing. All the others, even with my lack of construction knowledge seemed minor i.e. missing 2x4, missing nail protection plates. The result was Centex began to drywall before the foreman got my inspectors list, which was faxed the day after it was inspected . Anyway, they sent me a photo of the area that they ripped out only to find that it was not mold but black ink on the building material. My inspector said it was certainly plausible but he thought it would be good to check since it was in an area that was difficult to see(high ceiling and open area). Centex NEVER gave me a problem with correcting any items on the list. Our pre-closing inspection is due Dec. 8 with the closing the following week. I STRONGLY recommend hiring an inspector, it gives you peace of mind and keeps the builders on their toes.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Having a day or two to ponder this question- I have a question (not just to babyv7). Can someone define a "quality home". When I see this question I assume quality equates to integrity in the building process (i.e., fix mistakes I or the builder finds) and quality of craftsmanship (i.e., your house isn't put together with a dozen nails, cardboard, and won't crumble after the first gentle breeze). I know some folks who demand on only 2 X 6 construction and won't accept 2 X 4. Does quality mean imported Italian tile, brasilian wood for the hardwood floors? Or does it mean a home built to last a lifetime (which these days can be 80 years or so). I know many of the homes in New England are old, the floorboards squeek when you walk on them, are drafty, but they are still standing, some of them are 100+ years old (I wouldn't buy one though). But still, it's there.

To me, quality is the integrity of the "buliding team" (the sales rep., my RE agent, my foreman, the people who he supervisors, etc.). I can overcome a lot as long as I'm not lied to or intentionally deceived. I can overcome a drop of paint on the baseboard, but NOT knowningly leaving mold in the walls.

Help me to understand what this means to you...

Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Gosh, it seems no matter who you go with no one builder gets 100% approval from the public. However, I will say this...The one builder I've never heard a bad thing said about is MI Homes. Here in Charlotte they have a good reputation.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:54 PM

14 posts, read 66,383 times
Stop this crazy talk right now! I'm a home inspector and inspect homes from all the different builders. Saying that Centex or Ryan Homes are terrible is like saying that the Outback Steakhouse is the worst restaurant in the country because you had a bad experience at one of their restaurants.

The quality of the home depends first on the design and then the quality of the crews, supervisors, local inspectors, etc. It's all about the local staff and not the national name.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbartels View Post
Stop this crazy talk right now! I'm a home inspector and inspect homes from all the different builders. Saying that Centex or Ryan Homes are terrible is like saying that the Outback Steakhouse is the worst restaurant in the country because you had a bad experience at one of their restaurants.

The quality of the home depends first on the design and then the quality of the crews, supervisors, local inspectors, etc. It's all about the local staff and not the national name.

Just my opinion.

I understand what you mean, BUT, some builders are notoriously difficult to deal with once you sign on the dotted line. THAT's what gets people really upset. Some people can't put off their closings until the punch list items are all resolved, but after the closing a lot of builders blow you off.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
I lived in a Bill Clark home for nearly 4 years. It was in the Tryon Pines subdivision off Tryon Road just past Lake Wheeler in South Raleigh. It was a great hosue but after living there for several years I definitely questioned the companies judgement on the area they built their neighborhood in. SE Raleigh is no joke and not the best place for most families to live. They are building a very similar subdivision (it may actually already be completed by now, I'm not sure) called Vandora Pines off of Vandora Springs road in Garner. Garner may not be as bad as SE Raleigh, but still not exactly the ideal area for a new neighborhood.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 82,252 times
I'll be closing on a comfort home in January (I'm moving from CT as well) and have had a wonderful time with them. We bought during the construction and were able top pick floors, paint, countertops, etc.

I understand that these people are building a ton of homes at once, and was surprised (pleasantly) to find that i was treated like the only customer.

BTW Babyv7, my lot has trees...Clayton Pointe Phase II...think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina