U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2006, 02:50 PM

27 posts, read 134,335 times

Advertisements

Well, after reading good references on this wonderful message board, DH and I decided we wanted to explore moving to Salisbury. It seems like the type of rural setting we would enjoy, since we dislike the excessive congestion of "city" areas and it would be close enough to employment opportunities.

We have contacted a local realtor who would show some properties to DH when he goes over there in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering if Jasonkruk or anyone who lives in that area could suggest possible subdivisions we could look into.

We're interested in a decent neighborhood with reasonable tax rates since we plan on staying put for the next couple of years.. We have no children so that is not an issue. Any suggestions so I can broaden my research?

Thanks in advance for all the valuable info posted here.

J
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,672,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny
Well, after reading good references on this wonderful message board, DH and I decided we wanted to explore moving to Salisbury. It seems like the type of rural setting we would enjoy, since we dislike the excessive congestion of "city" areas and it would be close enough to employment opportunities.
Jason will probably pop in and provide more relavent info; he lives there while I work in town and then commute out to the stix My mate works in Winston-Salem so we have a home equidistant to our workplaces. Some places to steer away from: 29 south. That's a four lane road but takes you along the railroad tracks, through some depressed areas and a couple of dives (Foxy Lady). Then, highway 70 heading to Statesville. Good lord! I wouldn't even look out in that direction for temporary apartment living. The road is being widened to four lanes and it is a mess!

I'm not sure what your price range is ... there's a frou-frou McMansionville/golf subdivision as you are heading out Jake Alexander Blvd (cross over 70 and head out of town toward 601. The realtor will know what I'm talking about), but also a more modest subdivision as well as a cluster of homes that all look alike. This is also the area where a developer is wanting to turn 127 acres into an over-age 55 development with homes, retail and medical facilities. People in the area are fighting it, saying it will ruin the sense of "country" they have out there which, to me, sounds foolish. That's not "country", more like "outskirts of town."

As far as employment opportunities, Food Lion corporate headquarters is in Salisbury http://foodlion.com/Employment/ [note to mods: I'm not posting this as a commercial link but as an informative one. that's why I jumped to the employment section ]

Let me just add one more thing: a definite plug for Salisbury. I hate city living and congestion myself Salisbury has just enough conveniences (grocery stores, small mall, Big Box electronic and hardware stores) and a choice of chain restaurants, plus several independent eateries, to make it a nice everyday place to live. Then, if you want to go shopping or hit the night scene, it has easy access to Charlotte -- and to Winston-Salem, you just gotta know the right back roads to take for short cuts

Good luck on the visit; your husband will be seeing the town at its best this time of the year. Spring has sprung and everything is in bloom

Old 04-15-2006, 05:51 AM

Thank you for this info silverwing.. Salisbury definetely sounds like the place for us.. We're boring people who like it quiet.. lol..

DH and I are median income, so we would be looking at a brick house of no more than $125-$130K, if it's possible within a decent neighborhood.. Of course, we would work with that budget if necessary, because a decent location is very important to us..

I live close to Orlando, FL right now and I detest the traffic and congestion, and that's what I felt that Charlotte is turning into.

I'm looking forward to any info Jason may provide.

Have a lovely weekend!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 AM

58 posts, read 330,657 times
There are a lot of nice places north of town down Hwy. 601 past Catawba College althought that is a little far from i-85 (you would have to go through town). There is a nice new subdivision that is being built on Faith Rd., not too sure of the price range on the homes.

I would also look at some places in Granite Quarry and Faith, these are small towns that are right outside of Salisbury, to the south. Still close to town, but still have that "village" feel. I would think that your agent would have you look into these anyway. I don't know if you have children, but these have the most desired schools in the county, the East Rowan district.
I live on Stokes Ferry Rd., this is kind of the gateway to the river. This is a road I would recommend living on (of course) I am 5 minutes from town, 5 minutes from i-85, and 15 minutes from swimming, fishing, and boating! Not too many places better than that in my opinion!

If you will be looking in that price range, you shouldn't end up in an undesirable place. You are looking in the price range that most newly built homes are going for. I paid $80K two years ago for a great spot (3br, 3/4 acre) with no immediate neighbors.

Whatever you do, STAY OUT OF EAST SPENCER!! This is a highly distressed area.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Default thank you, thank you!!

Jason:

Bless your heart!! My realtor was giving me MLS for the Spencer area close to the railroad tracks, I'm not sure if that area is included on your description. I saw some listings close to where you live, but at the time, it looked from here like they would be too far from the city.. Apparently I was very wrong..

DH will be headed over there on the weekend to check things out.. ::crossing fingers::

Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 66,534 times
have yor realtor check out Spring Vally Nice quiet allotment without restrictions has a couple of vacant houses and a couple more for sale, great neighborhood friendly, even a conversation stop while taking a walk can turn into a major tete-a-tete or even a party with a couple dozen neighbors
10 min from either Salisbury or China Grove and 25 min from Mooresville ,outside of city limits (half the taxes) good schools, excellent fire protection and moderatly priced

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 26,914 times
Its funny how people want to put East Spencer down because its the Moderator cut: tos violation or I mean "depressed" area. We have plenty of parisheners from East Spencer. Sure it is a depressed area but no one is volunteering the inital and continuous reasons for its economic and social situation. Also if you are a person of color STAY OUT of Faith NC! It is also a DEPRESSED area as far as backward mind sets go.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-06-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 26,914 times
oh yes and saying the words black, white, yellow, brown, or green is not in itself racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>