Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 AM

80 posts, read 325,484 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please tell me what is required to get an out of state license switched over to a North Carolina one. We will be moving this summer, either to South Carolina or North Carolina. I heard that the process is different in North Carolina. Do you have to take a written or a road test? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM

379 posts, read 639,733 times
yes, u have to take a written test in NC. U can download the book online to study from. NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles If u choose NC I suggest u make an appt to take the test. They book 2-3 months out in the offices I have called. I have heard of people waiting as long as 4-6 hours in line in the Charlotte area without appt.

SC - no test

Last edited by Burgi; 01-09-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
I agree with most of the above poster. One common mistake I see on this forum is not bringing anything with proof of their full name. NCDMV will not accept anything with just intials in the name.

Also that link above tells you everything you need to know far as what is valid to bring.

You can get your license at any DMV in any county. So if you move close to a border of less populated place I would go there. Arrive as soon as the door opens and avoid afternoons.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

80 posts, read 325,484 times
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM

53 posts, read 199,429 times
and be sure to at least take a few minutes to read through the test material. the test isn't super hard, but it's not the easiest. i know plenty of people that failed their first try because they assumed it would be easy.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
yes, u have to take a written test in NC. U can download the book online to study from. NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles If u choose NC I suggest u make an appt to take the test. They book 2-3 months out in the offices I have called. I have heard of people waiting as long as 4-6 hours in line in the Charlotte area without appt.

SC - no test
It depends alot where you go and what time of day you go. I walked in cold to a DMV office and left less than an hour later with a driver's license. I needed to get it because I got a county job and they told me it was a requirement of employment. I could get either a license or an "ID" card in lieu of the license. I had all those negative memories of taking the test when I turned 17 in NJ, so I opted for the state ID card. I took my SS card, birth certificate and a couple of bills with my name on it, since I heard you needed to have several forms of identification. The more you bring, the better! I sat down with a great state police officer who convinced me to take the driving test cold. He said "what have you got to lose? - if you don't pass I'll give you the ID card and if you do, you'll have your license". I figured I was going to have to take a written test of 50 or so questions like I did in NJ in 1969. Instead, I sat a a computer terminal and watched a video that asked questions relating to what you saw on the screen - multiple choice style and passed it with an 87%. Once you answer a certain number of questions correctly the machine stops. I kinda felt cheated - I was on a roll! The test is easy. I had downloaded the NC driving manual and never looked at it! So after that, I was good to go! I was very impressed with the whole procedure. In NJ, you'd enjoy a day in the state prison more than spending the day in NJDMV hell. NC scored big points with me that day!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM

24 posts, read 88,608 times
Default The easiest way to pass the NC Drivers' License exam

Moderator cut: link removed
Everything you will need to know is on this site in an easy to read format. Read this site 5 times and then print it out and read it while you are waiting while studying the street signs while you are waiting to take the test at the DMV and you'll be golden.

Cheers!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
This may be a good cheat sheet or study guide but I dont think we want to encourage newcomers to use this only. Plus the state just pass new driving laws.
The newcomer may have a teenager getting their license for the first time and need to know importand driving lessons learn in the handbook. Or face road conditions that they are not use to.

The handbook online or paperback version reminds us or teach us how to handle different situations.

For instance what to do when it does snow, fog, passing farm equipment, how to park on a hill how to handle a hydroplane etc
It would be good for new resident from another state to know how things are dealt here like merging on a on ramp and dealing with the way we drive here.
If everyone understands and drives like the handbook suggest then we would have less road rage.
Online version of the handbook http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...ivershandbook/

Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,194,727 times
I didn't wait long either. Though every once in awhile they have technical issues. I know it was down all day Monday.

The test isn't bad, its actually done on a Pc and 25 questions. One hint, know yours signs, by SHAPE and COLOR.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 PM

53 posts, read 199,429 times
i took the test about a year ago in mooresville and it was with pencil and paper. i'm guessing the mecklenburg county offices are a little more up to date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina