Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

Currently residing in NJ with my wife and two children we have been discussing making a move from the snowbelt NE, getting away from the low quality of living driven by exponentially high housing and property taxes, and moving to NC. I have done some research and found the quality of life seems to be much better in NC as compared to NJ. Would anyone be willing to offer some advice regarding NC? Such as real estate, school systems, job market, etc... My wife and I both currently work (she being an RN in a large highly reputable hospital up here and myself being an accountant for a large fortune 100 insurance company). The research I have done has suggested that while salaries are only roughly 20% lower than in NJ, real estate it almost 60% lower. Both of us combined income would be considered pretty high if you saw only the number, however in this area families will still struggle making what many other areas of the country would consider a high income. Disgusting isn't it... I would greatly appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

Thanks

Last edited by Dolpns13; 02-15-2015 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
NC is a large, diverse state...you need to decide what you are looking for...small town, larger city, suburbs, close-in neighborhood, out in the country, house, size of lot, close to beaches, close to mountains, etc., etc. I would also recommend reading through the many threads very similar to yours on the NC board and its subthreads. And of course, you need to actually visit the state in person and get a feel for it.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Property cheaper
RE taxes cheaper
Lower utility costs then NJ
Schools among the lowest rated in the country.
Women make equal pay as men in NC but that's because pay is so low.
Fair gun laws
Almost no snow in southern half of NC
Hot as hell in summer.
Cities mostly Liberal
Rural mostly Conservative
NJ has a pizzeria on every corner, NC has a church.
NC drivers even worse than NJ driver (if that's possible)

All in all a great place to retire to.

You know the old saying "you get what you pay for"

Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Both of your profession's have high opening's in NC. Problem becomes the education level you have for your children may not be as good here in NC.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolpns13 View Post
Would anyone be willing to offer some advice regarding NC? Such as real estate, school systems, job market, etc...
Since many New Jersey people move to the Triangle, please start by reading the sticky thread in the Triangle sub-forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

It will answer most of your questions about schools, neighborhoods, taxes, etc. in the Triangle.

The other major destinations for people with professional skills are Charlotte and the Triad. Each have their own sub-forums.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 AM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
I lived in NJ over 60 years still do part time. Depends upon where you lived in NJ. If you lived in a suburban sub rural area then you won't find too much different down here. There are just a ton of transplants down in the Triangle. You'll get more house for your money and pay less in property taxes and car insurance but everything else is the same or slightly higher.

Schools might or might not be a problem I guess it depends upon how much work and study the kids do.

The weather is a definite upgrade. Another beautiful winter day here in NJ. A few inches of snow cold as all heck and the wind is howling.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks all for your feedback. It looks like to start this forum is a good place to find some meaningful information. Perhaps I should start a pros cons list for all the areas we are considering. We're really looking for a suburb to live that isnt too far away from a city where I can work, as well as grocery stores and shopping centers and such. We wouldnt want to drive 20 minutes to get to a grocery store and although I work only 10 miles from home, it typically takes me a good 45 minutes to get to the office.

As far as weather goes, it also does get very hot in NJ. Not sure how hot it gets in NC, but in July and August over the past three or so years NJ has been steady in the 90's, with a few days getting into the 100's. With that being said today is brutal, 15*, about 30 mile and hour winds.

I am disappointed by the feedback that the school systems are of the lowest in the country, and I cant believe NC drivers are worse than NJ drivers.. That would be simply incredible if true.

Cant really pass up the differences in RE and property taxes though.

We arent really city people so the fact we pay high taxes and RE because we are live close to NYC and do not utilize it, digs the knife a little deeper. We both like nicer, greener, mountainous regions than cement (although we do not want to live in the mountains). Just looking for a nice suburb close to work, stores, etc...

Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I lived in NJ over 60 years still do part time. Depends upon where you lived in NJ. If you lived in a suburban sub rural area then you won't find too much different down here. There are just a ton of transplants down in the Triangle. You'll get more house for your money and pay less in property taxes and car insurance but everything else is the same or slightly higher.

Schools might or might not be a problem I guess it depends upon how much work and study the kids do.

The weather is a definite upgrade. Another beautiful winter day here in NJ. A few inches of snow cold as all heck and the wind is howling.
We currently live in North Jersey just outside NYC. I grew up in upstate NY and like the ruralness of those areas much more than here in NJ where it is just crazy congested (again taking me 45 minutes to drive 10 miles-which is also all highway)

How is the diversity there? We have two adopted sons from Korea and my wife is concerned that it is not diverse and our sons may have a difficult time adjusting because of that. I would assume it would not be as diverse as it is in NJ but all n all that would not be a factor in a decision to move.

When you say "everything else is slightly higher or the same", this would probably be gas, groceries and such?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I am disappointed by the feedback that the school systems are of the lowest in the country, and I cant believe NC drivers are worse than NJ drivers..

....Just looking for a nice suburb close to work, stores, etc...
The survey said the "teacher satisfaction" was the lowest in the country, not the schools themselves. Most Wake County schools are considered excellent, and get excellent reviews on Greatschools, etc. I am not sure how they compare to your NJ schools, but it is something to think about before you commit to moving. Plenty of Wake County students get into excellent colleges, even if their teachers feel unhappy.

There are dozens (or hundreds) of nice suburbs close to stores. Wherever you both locate jobs, you will probably find some town to be happy with.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
How is the diversity there? We have two adopted sons from Korea and my wife is concerned that it is not diverse and our sons may have a difficult time adjusting because of that. I would assume it would not be as diverse as it is in NJ but all n all that would not be a factor in a decision to move.

When you say "everything else is slightly higher or the same", this would probably be gas, groceries and such?
1. If you move to areas like Wake County, you will see many Asian families. Even in my small town on the coast we see families with adopted Asian kids, mixed race families, and so on. I don't think you have reason to fear discrimination, except in some very small and rural towns.

2. Taxes
- Gas may be slightly higher than NJ, but then NJ has weird policies on gas. It doesn't tax it as much as they could, last I remember from driving through.
- Food in the grocery store is taxed at 2%, other things at the prevailing sales tax rate.

- Initial car registration is subject to Highway Use Tax, so expect to pay a couple hundred. Car are also subject to annual personal property tax.
3. Utilities
- Water and sewer charges seem high to me compared to Maryland. Other people say NJ has very high water and sewer bills.
- Electricity - much of the state is dominated by the Duke Power monopoly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina