Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
No. I mean the existing Triangle Expressway, the planned toll lanes on I-77 in northern Mecklenburg County, conversion of the express bus lane to toll lane on US 74 (Independence Blvd.) in Charlotte and the planned Monroe bypass.
Do you really think that these four roads, if tolled, will bring in enough revenue to offset gasoline taxes? Or are you saying that the tolls will be in addition to gasoline taxes?

Even so, people in other parts of the state get away unscathed. Why not also toll I-40, I-26, I-95/795, I-85, I-73 and others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Also, what happens if I drive to California from NC. Should I be responsible for paying those miles to the state of NC, even though the majority of them were done elsewhere?.
This is a good point. Maybe something could be set up to allow deductions for such types of travel, and it would be up to the taxpayer to keep records? I dunno ... Good point, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
The only logical solution is to lower the gas tax, but toll certain highways based on mileage. If you drive I-95 from the top to bottom of the state, you get charged the maximum. If you only drive to the next exit, the charge is minimal. Obviously this doesn't cover smaller roads.
I don't agree that this is the only logical solution. I don't think tolling a few roads would bring in enough revenue (unless it was in addition to some other (gas?) tax).

And if you only toll certain roads, then many in this vast state get away without paying their share.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Do you really think that these four roads, if tolled, will bring in enough revenue to offset gasoline taxes? Or are you saying that the tolls will be in addition to gasoline taxes?
I'm not saying either one. I was merely replying to another poster who said NC would never have toll roads.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
No, I said residents would never go for toll roads. Big difference.

If you don't believe me, just watch what happens in Charlotte. Those extra lanes they have already built will NEVER be a toll road. They'll just open them up for regular interstate traffic, that that'll be the end of it.

Toll roads in the south are about as popular as union labor.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:53 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
If you don't believe me, just watch what happens in Charlotte. Those extra lanes they have already built will NEVER be a toll road.
The state has already decided to add toll lanes to I-77N from Charlotte to Mooresville. Part of it will be the existing HOV lane that was already built.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
No, I said residents would never go for toll roads. Big difference.
I have no idea what that means. You seem to think there is going to be a referendum of some sort on toll roads. I have heard nothing about that.

Quote:
If you don't believe me, just watch what happens in Charlotte. Those extra lanes they have already built will NEVER be a toll road. They'll just open them up for regular interstate traffic, that that'll be the end of it.
We'll see. My understanding is that the decision has already be made by NCDOT that 485 will have a toll lane.

In any event, North Carolinians are already "going for" toll roads (reluctantly or not) and it is obvious there will be more built.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
pvs

Quote:
I have no idea what that means. You seem to think there is going to be a referendum of some sort on toll roads. I have heard nothing about that.

We'll see. My understanding is that the decision has already be made by NCDOT that 485 will have a toll lane.

In any event, North Carolinians are already "going for" toll roads (reluctantly or not) and it is obvious there will be more built.
Could you explain what you mean by the bolded? How can the road have "a toll lane"? Either the highway is tolled, or not, no? If only one lane costs money, won't everyone just stick with the "free" lanes?

Seriously, how is this going to be implemented?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Could you explain what you mean by the bolded? How can the road have "a toll lane"? Either the highway is tolled, or not, no? If only one lane costs money, won't everyone just stick with the "free" lanes?

Seriously, how is this going to be implemented?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of highways have a toll lane, separate from the rest of the road. You've never seen that? If the free lanes are stopped due to heavy traffic, some people will gladly pay to get into a lane thats moving.

Maybe this will help:

Additional I-485 widening could start in 2017 | South Charlotte Weekly

Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM
pvs

Quote:
Lots of highways have a toll lane, separate from the rest of the road. You've never seen that? If the free lanes are stopped due to heavy traffic, some people will gladly pay to get into a lane thats moving.

Maybe this will help:

Additional I-485 widening could start in 2017 | South Charlotte Weekly
Thanks for the link. No, I had never seen nor heard about such an implementation. I guess it allows more affluent drivers/riders better mobility than the poorer folk.

I liked the phrase about how these need to be low-traffic lanes to keep emissions down. I wonder if such a requirement might be lifted in the future if electric or other alternative energy vehicles become more popular.

Anyway thanks again for that article. Very interesting, indeed.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
... I guess it allows more affluent drivers/riders better mobility than the poorer folk.
This is why they are commonly referred to as lexus lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina