Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1943 View Post
Hi, We are from downstate N.Y., are around 70, both retired, want peace and quiet, privacy created by position and trees but not isolated, children's schools not relevant, availability of good medical care, low, low crime area, don't need recreational water or golf, but definitely want a private shooting club to join. Have up to $250K to spend on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with 2 car garage (for wood shop), with low property taxes (less than $2K). Good restaurants, good food shopping, but having lived 30 miles north of NYC and not having been in a museum in 20 years cultural life is not that important. Culture, on the other hand, is important. We are non-practicing Jews and judge people on how they behave not on color or religion. We would not be happy in a community that had a chapter of the KKK and we think that community would probably not be happy with us. We don't want to go where we are not wanted. So is there a place for us in North Carolina that is not in one of its large cities? Thanks. dfg789qwse jnwjnw1992@gmail.com
We cannot answer whether there "is a place in NC for you" without a lot more specific information. Please do your research and answer the very questions posed at the beginning ot this thread.

Does it HAVE to be NC? If so, why? If not, are you asking around in lots of places? You don't seem to have a clear idea of where you want other than "not where I am now". have you ever been to this state, and if so, what do you know firsthand that you like about it? I hope you aren't planning to move somewhere just based on a couple of things you read on the Internet, to a state you've never even been to! The things you ask for can be found anywhere, though I don't see many "criteria" other than "low, low crime" and a shooting club, and somewhere that accepts nonpracticing Jews. Probably all 50 states have places like that!

There are 49 states that aren't NY; why, specifcally, North Carolina? That should be your first statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in North Carolina. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

We on the North Carolina forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

(Saw this on the Virginia Forum posted by SmerkyGrl- Thought we needed it too!)
Well I read it! Thx for posting; I will +1 you when I'm allowed to. (Apparently I got a little rep happy!)
A lot of research goes into a relocation - at least I finally narrowed down my search to two states, NC is running neck &neck with the other. I've visited NC extensively & still feel as though I've barely scratched the surface.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Some time back a plaintive cry was heard:
Quote:
I have yet to visit NC, but...

A suggestion was offered then and having been saved (and edited some) is posted again:

Take at least one week off from work (not a minute less) and do that visiting.

Since the two biggest cities are where most will end up... start with either one.
Get on a plane and fly into Raleigh or Charlotte with the return flight from the other city.
Try to make some advance introduction/ contacts for jobs if you can.

Rent a road car. Poke around in the corners.
Take a couple of days in each area to really meet people and see what is what.

Then? Walk into a few potential work places cold.
Have lunch and dinner at the nearby watering holes.
Meet the people. Talk to them. Rinse and repeat.

Poke around outside of the Biggest towns too.
Whether you would live out there or not... you should still experience them some.

If you're goals are the beachy or mountainy sort then allow a full day or better yet
an overnight to get out to Asheville or out to Wilmington as well.

If you have some other specific town in mind for some reason...
then be sure to include that in your itinerary as well.

Get in the car and see what is out there along I-40 and the old roads too.
Stop in at Winston and Greensboro and High Point too.
Do some of this trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway

Don't make too many hard plans.
Get motel rooms by the night.

Have lunch and dinner at the LOCAL and independent places.
Meet people. Talk to them. Absorb the mood and tone.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-10-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 PM

45 posts, read 54,768 times
-Where you are working
My husband is looking for an IT or management job. He would have a job prior to us movng. He is also going to stay in the area for 2-3 months to make sure the job is a good fit before we pick up and move. I work in the healthcare field so I can find someting pretty much anywhere.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
Looking to spend no more than $130-140k. Wanting a 3+ bedroom with a good size yard.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
1 hr or less, preferably less.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Our daughter is currently in a very good private school which we absolutely love but its like a mortgage payment. Thinking we're going to go with public school. Depending when we make the move She would be headed into 2nd grade.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We'd prefer a smaller town (safe of course) but as long as the house has a decent sized yard with neighbors that arent too too close, we're flexible. Currently live in a small old coal mining town where the houses are reach out and touch each other. Lot sizes here are approx 35x170. We want BIGGER for sure. Since we're moving from the cold winter mountains of PA, I very much want to live as close to the beach as possible although husband isnt a big beach fan. He wants to live closer to a bigger city for driving purposes. We're compromising on this. But we definitely need a good school district.
We've been to coastal NC for vacations. I would love to take the time and explore some more inland cities but its an 11.5hr drive one way.

-Community amenities important to you
Would like big box stores (Target,Walmart) to be close. No more than 10-15 minutes away.

ETA- I've been researching the town of Clayton. Has me a bit far from the beach but it appears to be an ok drive to the Triangle area. Upon more discussion with my husband, he said he doesnt necessarily need to be IT which we felt TRP would be the place to be, as he would also be looking into management jobs.
I have also been looking outside of Charleston, SC. The Summerville area in the Dorchester 02 school district.

Last edited by MovinOnSouth; 04-30-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 12,519 times
Hi I am looking to relocate also to nc area also i have two kids one looking to enter college in 2016 fall year and my other daughter will be around 14 im a single mom i currently work in the medical billing/coding area in the hospital billing office i look on indeed for a job and also being applying but i really need help to what area is safe for a signle mom looing to rent apt also what about the jobs and the pay for my line of work please any ideal tired of the south florida

thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 10:58 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollface2010 View Post
Hi I am looking to relocate also to nc area also i have two kids one looking to enter college in 2016 fall year and my other daughter will be around 14 im a single mom i currently work in the medical billing/coding area in the hospital billing office i look on indeed for a job and also being applying but i really need help to what area is safe for a signle mom looing to rent apt also what about the jobs and the pay for my line of work please any ideal tired of the south florida

thanks
You'd be better off if you start your own new thread. This thread is intended to be an overview or guideline for people looking looking for relocation help, not for people to post their own individual inquiries.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
This message is for seasoned and new members.

READ THIS FIRST IF YOUR NEW, before posting a thread in this forum.
Also read the Terms of service, in case you didnt upon registration it is a good guide. (posted at top of the forum)

Post in the correct forum to get the best response.
If your unsure what forum, post in this thread asking seasoned members what forum would be best.

SEASONED members instead of asking threads be moved, be courteous inform the OP what forum suits best in their thread.

In eight years, I seen threads moved the OP never returns 80% of the time when a thread is moved.
Direct them in the wrong location thread, why you think another forum would get better response.

This state currently has 5 sub forums plus this main forum. If your inquiring about a certain area try to post in the forum that caters to the area seeking to get better response.
Also place area desired in your thread title to also get better response.

There is quite a few gray areas like small towns or cities that could fit in another region for example towns like Mebane, Salisbury, Morganton etc.
If city fits in the gray area or uncertain then post it in the main forum and a seasoned member will notify what forum will get better response.

Sometimes not certain where in NC or inquiring about different regions or living and working in different one then posting in the main forum suits fine.

On main index page which is the North Carolina main index page
Here are the current sub forums, click the area cater to what is desired or curious on.
Charlotte,
Coastal North Carolina,
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point,
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary,
Western North Carolina

SAYING ALL THIS, ITS OK FOR A THREAD ABOUT A CITY IN NORTH CAROLINA TO BE IN THIS INDEX MAIN FORUM.
If OP wants to stay in this main forum its ok especially if comparing cities in different regions.

Non North Carolina threads or topics suit better in these forums.
//www.city-data.com/forum/

If you need assistance how to do stuff in this forum click FAQ
FAQ

There is wonderful advice in this thread, and these forum to help with your relocation.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-13-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree that this is a great thread, NCPLANNER! I would highly recommend that people take a few minutes to look over a map of North Carolina and get a feel for how the state is laid out, and where the mountains, cities, beaches, and large swaths of rural land exist.

NCDOT: State Transportation Map
Also, newcomers should recognize how wide the state is - and how long it takes to drive across. Google Maps shows 544 miles from Murphy to Manteo.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 32,255 times
Default Where to stay on your NC road trip

To add to this:

Try renting a place in your target area from Airbnb, HomeAway or VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner) to get a feel for the area. Owners who are renting their place are a great source of info about the area. As opposed to a hotel / motel, you get 1. a real feel for a neighbor as opposed to a box off the interstate, 2. Very likely a bargain price, 3. Sanity if you have young kids (example: three kids under 6 in a hotel room - highly volatile situation) if you go for the "rent entire house" option.

Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Some time back a plaintive cry was heard:

A suggestion was offered then and having been saved (and edited some) is posted again:

Take at least one week off from work (not a minute less) and do that visiting.

Since the two biggest cities are where most will end up... start with either one.
Get on a plane and fly into Raleigh or Charlotte with the return flight from the other city.
Try to make some advance introduction/ contacts for jobs if you can.

Rent a road car. Poke around in the corners.
Take a couple of days in each area to really meet people and see what is what.

Then? Walk into a few potential work places cold.
Have lunch and dinner at the nearby watering holes.
Meet the people. Talk to them. Rinse and repeat.

Poke around outside of the Biggest towns too.
Whether you would live out there or not... you should still experience them some.

If you're goals are the beachy or mountainy sort then allow a full day or better yet
an overnight to get out to Asheville or out to Wilmington as well.

If you have some other specific town in mind for some reason...
then be sure to include that in your itinerary as well.

Get in the car and see what is out there along I-40 and the old roads too.
Stop in at Winston and Greensboro and High Point too.
Do some of this trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't make too many hard plans.
Get motel rooms by the night.

Have lunch and dinner at the LOCAL and independent places.
Meet people. Talk to them. Absorb the mood and tone.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,238 times
HELLO, my future husband and I are looking into moving to NC from NY.

Early 30's, no kids yet, housing between $150k-$200k, looking into the mountain region, has a bit of nightlife, good restaurants.

Future husband is currently a volunteer Firefighter since they dont pay them on Long Island, looking to get a paying Fire fighter job.

If you can let us know the best towns, it'd be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina