Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:56 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

Want a job when you graduate? A high paying job where there is little competition? You might want to consider majoring in Computer Science and a minor in math. Software developers, network system engineers are in high demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
There was an almost identical question asked in a thread here recently.
Oh wait, you're the one who posted it. Do you expect to get different answers by changing the thread title?

Since you're asking a general question about the working world, I think the Work and Employment forum would be a better place than the NC forum, unless you're positive that you'll always be in NC.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 10,291 times
Sorry everyone ignore this post I meant to post elsewhere

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Absolutely. Schools not only very in quality, but also in reputation and levels of access they have. For instance, Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are going to have far better corporate recruiting networks than UNC

Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Personally, I think you need to relax and engage in some of that partying you speak of that your school you say is known for.

I think you need to work on taking others' perspective. Maybe those in your local area are aware of what ECU stands for and maybe it has a rep in your local area, but this is the Interwebs. I don't live in NC ya know?

To answer your question though, don't worry about the rep you think your school has, work on you.

Best of luck.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
First, don't assume we know what ECU is.

Second, don't assume everyone here is an adult. Like colleges, adults can vary. Adults in their 20's often give advice based on....I don't know what...vs advice given by adults who have a lot of experience to back up what they're saying.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
FWIW I'm 29. I graduated from a good school (Utah State), but one that some locals would consider lesser than the two larger schools in the state (Utah and BYU). In both jobs I've had so far, the hiring manager was also a Utah State alumni.

So don't assume that everyone in NC went to Duke or UNC.

Additionally, Utah is a commuter school (read: everyone lives with mom and dad) while BYU is a strict religious school (read: you literally get kicked out if you have sex). Utah State is considered by some to be a "party school" or... at least... as much of a party school as you get in Utah (we're not much of a party state) because it is a residential school in a college town with no strict rules. This doesn't make the education lower quality. This doesn't make graduation rates lower. I partied. I made poor decisions. I woke up places I didn't remember falling asleep with women I didn't know. I also studied, did homework and graduated. Five years later and I'm married and have a kid with a house and a good job.

I feel like my post has no point, but what I'm trying to say is have fun at college! You never get it back. Party, go wild, do your homework and graduate! Don't transfer because someone you know has a higher opinion of Duke. In 4 years I promise you'll think ECU is the best school in the state and have so much Pirate pride you will be angry you ever considered another school because of its perceived "reputation."

And you'll have no trouble getting a job, because you'll be interviewed by other Pirate-alum more often than you think.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM

9 posts, read 10,291 times
[quote=MPowering1;38593187]First, don't assume we know what ECU is.

Second, don't assume everyone here is an adult. Like colleges, adults can vary. Adults in their 20's often give advice based on....I don't know what...vs advice given by adults who have a lot of experience to back up what they're saying.[/QUO

Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Just kidding you and waiting to hear what ECU stands for.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Don't transfer because someone you know has a higher opinion of Duke. In 4 years I promise you'll think ECU is the best school in the state and have so much Pirate pride you will be angry you ever considered another school because of its perceived "reputation."

And you'll have no trouble getting a job, because you'll be interviewed by other Pirate-alum more often than you think.
Errr, let's not go crazy here. If you have a chance to go to Duke, take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina