Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM

100 posts, read 93,670 times

Advertisements

What kind of degree will you have when you graduate? (providing you don't get kicked out for partying )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 PM

9 posts, read 10,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
What kind of degree will you have when you graduate? (providing you don't get kicked out for partying )
Haha, the major is environmental health and saftey, which is like a health inspector and workplaces, restaurants, school, things like that.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Question: Why are you in the Houston forum asking about an NC school? 99% of the posters here have no clue about NC. Texans wouldn't know the different between UNC, NC State, Alamance CC,Appalachian, etc. They are totally geared towards Aggie, Longhorn, Raider. However, I'm on board with NC providing a higher educational value all the way through than Texas, Imho

Regardless, UNC has a bigger party rep, so it's a non-issue.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 PM

100 posts, read 93,670 times
Well that degree will certainly be helpful in the North Carolina area but the more lucrative in the oil, gas, chemical manufacturing industries. The school won't matter, but if you have tats and body piercings keep them under wrap.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Well that degree will certainly be helpful in the North Carolina area but the more lucrative in the oil, gas, chemical manufacturing industries.
Do what? Are you saying there isn't much need for inspectors at workplaces, restaurants, schools, and things like that in Houston?

I have never known an employer not hiring someone just because they went to a party school. By the way, UT and Texas Sate are known as party schools. Just do well in school and interview well - you should be able to land a job.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,227 times
Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejackstrap View Post
Alright so I'm assuming that most people on this website are college age or above , so I need some advice regarding post-college.

I'm a freshman at ECU with a 3.7 GPA. I take school VERY seriously and am always on top of things. Other than the overwhelming Greek life presence, I like ECU and think its a pretty cool school.

As we all know in NC, ECU has gained a very bad reputation as the party school of NC and is not taken very seriously by some people.

My question for you adults is, does it REALLY matter what college I went to when applying for jobs? Even if I'm a pretty smart kid, will some companies turn me away just because I went to ECU? I take this very seriously and would hate for the name of my school to hurt my chances in the job market

It depends on the field you eventually end up in. The school name my get you a job interview and with the right person doing that interview (an Alum)...who knows

There are lots of "smart" people out there. Look at any advantage...like a great school

Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,216 times
On top of working for good grades, build a solid network. These days it's more about who you know vs what you know.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Question: Why are you in the Houston forum asking about an NC school? 99% of the posters here have no clue about NC. Texans wouldn't know the different between UNC, NC State, Alamance CC,Appalachian, etc. They are totally geared towards Aggie, Longhorn, Raider. However, I'm on board with NC providing a higher educational value all the way through than Texas, Imho

Regardless, UNC has a bigger party rep, so it's a non-issue.
You sure UNC has a bigger party rep than ECU?
I'm from North Carolina and went to UNC.
ECU has always been labeled as a "party school". UNC, not as much.
At least not like NC State, App State or ECU.

To the OP, assuming you'll be looking for a job here, attending ECU should not have a negative impact on your job prospects.
Like others have said, keep up the good grades, build a solid network and you should be fine.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Question: Why are you in the Houston forum asking about an NC school?
Because we're hip and smart like that, yo. Get with the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Do what? Are you saying there isn't much need for inspectors at workplaces, restaurants, schools, and things like that in Houston?
If the need is there, I ain't seeing it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejackstrap View Post
Haha, the major is environmental health and saftey, which is like a health inspector and workplaces, restaurants, school, things like that.
Um, I've been an EH&S guy (briefly looked into doing grad school online at ECU for EH&S, btw, mixed it up and went to Florida instead) and things are pretty slow right now. You can hit up USJOBS.gov and apply for OSHA openings anywhere. Plant turnarounds aren't quite happening en masse right this moment, so even my bachelors isn't getting used right now. Heck, the strike at Lyondell refinery has a few of my friends hanging at home right now.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
Moving this to the NC forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina